October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2655 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

Favorite game night food?

More
12 Feb 2015 17:30 #197594 by VonTush
Replied by VonTush on topic Favorite game night food?
A guy who used to hose game nights was a chef. Was on Iron Chef assisting his Exectuive Chef. So he wasn't a scrub line cook.
Didn't make us a God Damned thing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Feb 2015 17:58 #197598 by ChristopherMD
I remember those pizza strips from when I was a kid. I never realized they were another RI-only thing.

More
12 Feb 2015 18:06 #197601 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Favorite game night food?
We'll probably take a break to eat, but we'll have munchies for during games as well. We've usually done veggie tray for that but anything more creative is good too.

More
12 Feb 2015 18:12 #197602 by Hex Sinister
I like to bring pizza so I don't impose upon the host. Plus it's less fuss. I won't turn down asian driver though.

More
12 Feb 2015 18:52 #197605 by dysjunct
Replied by dysjunct on topic Favorite game night food?
Can't be easily spilled, nor greasy.

Pretzels are great.

Hummus with pita bread or veggies to dip is great too.

Also beer. Easily spilled, but you have to be realistic about these things.

More
12 Feb 2015 22:35 #197619 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Favorite game night food?
For play, break to eat, play some more: pulled pork (or chicken) sliders.
Attachments:

More
12 Feb 2015 22:49 #197621 by ratpfink
Replied by ratpfink on topic Favorite game night food?
When we host long multiplayer wargames I tend to make something ahead of time that I can throw in the oven to cook or can cook without paying too much attention. We'll break for dinner. Usual suspects are a lasagna, vegetable tamale pie casserole, stuffed peppers, black bean burgers, a hearty soup or chili. It seems half of the wargamers around here are vegetarians so I'm usually making something along those lines.

So that's a long way of saying, I really appreciate anything homemade by the host. Frozen pizza... meh!

More
12 Feb 2015 23:05 #197624 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Favorite game night food?
Whut... vegan wargamers?

I am disappoint.

More
12 Feb 2015 23:31 #197625 by Space Ghost
For a big event, I almost always will smoke a pork shoulder (which is my 2 year old daughters favorite). My wife fucking excels at making appetizers and desserts (she makes designer wedding cakes professionally), so we usually have that stuff for smaller gatherings.

More
13 Feb 2015 10:49 #197649 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Favorite game night food?
My wife told me to thank you guys. She hasn't decided yet.

More
13 Feb 2015 11:09 - 13 Feb 2015 11:11 #197652 by Egg Shen
Replied by Egg Shen on topic Favorite game night food?

Mad Dog wrote: I remember those pizza strips from when I was a kid. I never realized they were another RI-only thing.

Yeah I had no clue it was a RI only thing until a few years ago. Meeting people from outside of RI and they didn't know what it was when they saw it at parties. Also, if we traveled to friends who lived out of state and brought it...people would be like, "oh... this is some weird pizza!". Seemed normal to me all my life lol.

Back to the subject....the Mexican Shepard's Pie has gone over really well with my gaming friends. It's built in a casserole dish. You put a layer of ground beef/chicken/turkey cooked with onions and taco meat seasoning on the bottom. Then you add some dice tomatoes. Then make a layer of corn. Then whip up some corn bread mix...layer that over the top. Bake it until golden brown. Take it out of the oven and sprinkle some cheese and maybe a little bit of Frank's Red Hot sauce on top while it's cooling. Wait for it to cool a bit and then dig in. It's different, but it seems to go over well with everyone. If you make it right, it's spicy, but it's balanced out by the sweetness of the cornbread.

Mexican Shepard's Pie

Don't mind the pictures from the site...none of them make it look very appetizing lol.
Last edit: 13 Feb 2015 11:11 by Egg Shen.

More
13 Feb 2015 11:53 #197661 by VonTush
Replied by VonTush on topic Favorite game night food?

Space Ghost wrote: Taco Bar.

Still the best I think. First tacos are delicious. Second, if you lay out a good enough spread everyone is able to get what they want. At my house tacos always go over very well because it allows my wife to avoid the meat, my daughter to ignore the veggies that she doesn't like and pile up the ones that she does and then myself to pile high everything into a magical, sloppy stack of amazingness. People can individually tailor and walk away happy.

More
13 Feb 2015 12:15 #197665 by KingPut
Replied by KingPut on topic Favorite game night food?
The slow cooker is your friend on game night with dinner. either to cook or just to keep things warm. The last thing I want to do during game night is spend a lot of time in the kitchen prepping food. I want to be socializing and gaming not making sure I'm not burning down the house. In my rotation in a slow cooker includes: chili, white chicken chili, tacos, pulled pork, pulled chicken, tinga de pollo, Italian Sausage and peppers or meat balls. A cheaper option and with Maradi Gras and Chinese New Year coming up you could go with Jambalaya, Red Beans and rice (vegan), gumbo or fried rice. Note: rice dishes don't hold up as well as meat dishes. Rule of thumb, 1/3 lb. of protein per person or about a cup of rice for the rice dishes. If you don't want to worry about finding the perfect recipe or you're not an expert cook, just like Uba showed, McCormick has a full range of easy but tasty slow cooker products. Enjoy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

More
13 Feb 2015 12:53 #197670 by Sagrilarus
Main dish and rice in separate cookers beside each other.

Even hot dogs can be done in a slow cooker. People pull them when they're between games or turns.

More
13 Feb 2015 13:47 #197674 by Black Barney
and with hot dogs, you're at least giving closet vegetarians an option

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.223 seconds