October 09, 2023
2446 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2645 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

Helldivers

More
03 May 2015 14:47 - 03 May 2015 20:52 #201820 by Gary Sax
Helldivers was created by Gary Sax
First of all, if you have a PS4 you need to play this game. It's a real throwback, it's pick up and play like an SNES game but has the depth in terms of build and multiplayer that has only developed in the last gen or two. The game itself is dead simple and missions are not tediously long. It's the only thing that has diverted me from intense Bloodborne play, I'm totally sidetracked with it. From the "who knew?" file, my wife saw me playing this and decided she wanted to play---we've been playing very easy missions together. It was a huge surprise, I would never have expected this to appeal to someone who doesn't play many videogames. But like I said, it's super simple and in some ways it's more like a retro game than a modern game so from that perspective it makes sense. It's pretty accessible. And it's certainly funny and not too serious.

I wanted to talk builds. What are you favorite builds? I tend to go with two turrets, extra ammo drop and an personal MG drop. I still use the assault rifle with all the upgrades... I'm going to try out the new assault rifle with burst fire I unlocked recently, I don't frequently find myself actually needing the full auto fire the starting rifle gives you and I could use a more stopping power with each bullet.

I think a lot of the strategy in this game gets introduced when you start playing multiplayer 5 and up skill games, because it introduces the big nasty enemies with armor, etc. I've barely started playing online on level 5, but it seems like you need the airstrikes and complicated shit once you start fighting huge brutes. Before that it appears just using MGs and assault rifles, etc, is fine.

Anyway, Jeb and I play, though we haven't run into each other yet because of the time differences. The community for it is largely pretty good, though, and it's a solid multiplayer game even when no one has headsets which I know is a big dealbreaker for some (e.g. Barnes)
Last edit: 03 May 2015 20:52 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, SemiColon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 May 2015 20:16 #201826 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Helldivers
Agree with all of the above. It's such a good time. Nothing quite like bringing liberty to those bug scum in hot metallic form. If anyone out there played MAGICKA, it's what those devs worked on next. It has that same sense of chaotic friendly-fire mayhem when things get wild.

More important than loadout (I also like the MG, turret, turret, ammo), is how smoking hot your cape is. I like the Desert helm, Drop School cape, and Woodland armor. When I spin, we all spin.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
03 May 2015 20:53 #201828 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Helldivers
All desert cape, all the time here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
05 May 2015 00:30 #201871 by SemiColon
Replied by SemiColon on topic Helldivers
I haven't played in a few weeks (need to rectify that, it is a ton of fun), but I too have Helldivers, albeit for the PS3. Have they fixed the cross platform friends matching up yet? I was trying to convince a couple people I know to get it but they had a PS4 and we were worried we wouldn't be able to play together.

As for builds, I tend to either use the assault rifle or laser rifle, have them both fully upgraded. I like the laser rifle for getting guys just offscreen that you know are there, plus dealing with a bunch of guys in a row, but the AR deals with bunches in close easier. I bought the second AR but it never lets me equip it before a mission, it might have bugged on me. I tend to go MG (especially when I use the laser rifle), ammo, turret, mech suit. Mech suit acts like a second turret and can save your ass if you can use it properly. I just got unlocked the APC before I stopped playing so I haven't had a chance to try it out too much.

If you guys are looking for someone else on EST, I could spin er back up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
05 May 2015 10:11 - 05 May 2015 10:12 #201874 by Gary Sax
Dunno about crossplay. Username is garysax if you haven't friended me yet.

I can't figure out how to unlock the rifles and regular guns. I'm on level like 14 but only have 4 guns unlocked...?
Last edit: 05 May 2015 10:12 by Gary Sax.

More
05 May 2015 15:01 #201885 by SemiColon
Replied by SemiColon on topic Helldivers
I'll add when I get home. Pretty sure my PSN name is something similar to my forum name here.

From what I remember, you only unlock the guns from leveling up? That's how I've gotten all of mine so far. Also there are some DLC weapons that are supposed to unlock automatically when you buy it

More
05 May 2015 19:27 #201894 by SaMoKo
Replied by SaMoKo on topic Helldivers
I've been looking at this one for a while now, might take the bite on it. Been buried in work, Mortal Kombat X, and Monster Hunter though, it more a matter of finding time to fit it in.

More
05 May 2015 19:46 #201896 by Gary Sax
It's quite amenable to pick up and play for 20 minutes.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds