October 09, 2023
2294 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

The Machines Will Replace Us All

More
28 May 2015 13:52 - 28 May 2015 13:54 #203071 by Mr. White

Shellhead wrote: If it's any consolation, there probably are few if any intelligent life forms who managed to get out into space. A species would need to invent a method of travel before their natural resources are too depleted. That form of travel would need to be affordable enough to transport a colony worth of beings with sufficient diversity to avoid inbreeding, or else maintain steady traffic with the homeworld. It doesn't look like we are going to get our act together in time.

Did you read that link about the Fermi Paradox ? new one on me, but pretty interesting.

waitbutwhy.com/2014/05/fermi-paradox.html

Here's some more fun thoughts. More in the realm of science fiction, maybe can be used as rpg scenarios.

What if two competing companies develop ASI at the same time? What about two nations? Do we get an Ultron v Jarvis throwdown? Do they tag team and conquer the earth?

What if one of these nut job terrorist cells actually end up being the saviors of humanity because they happen to have developed a large scale EMP at just the right time. Originally intending to use it against the west, it becomes the holy hand grenade against Skynet.

And finally, I'm reading another pro-wrestler (of course) biography and it makes me think that a super AI may still have a use for us...
Last edit: 28 May 2015 13:54 by Mr. White.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 May 2015 14:51 #203079 by Gregarius

Mr. White wrote: What if two competing companies develop ASI at the same time? What about two nations? Do we get an Ultron v Jarvis throwdown? Do they tag team and conquer the earth?

If you'd like to see this in movie form, I highly recommend Colossus: The Forbin Project.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
29 May 2015 14:16 #203122 by Jexik
Man, that WaitButWhy blog is great. His stuff on procrastination is stellar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
29 May 2015 15:34 #203126 by eekamouse

Jexik wrote: Man, that WaitButWhy blog is great. His stuff on procrastination is stellar.

That was the perfect Friday read. The comments don't disappoint either:

What is a more significant concept in our universe – "human comprehension" or "love"?

BOOM.

More
29 May 2015 16:14 #203131 by mikecl

stoic wrote:

Black Barney wrote: pretty sure that movie is called Saturn V. It scared the crap out of me as a kid

Barney, I remembered it as "Saturn V" too, but, it is Saturn 3. I wonder why we remembered it like that?

Because the Saturn V is the booster rocket that took men to the moon. It's the largest rocket ever launched from the Earth.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Black Barney

More
29 May 2015 16:29 #203133 by Shellhead
If the machines take all the jobs, the result could be utopia or dystopia, depending on how society is structured at that point. Utopia if nobody needs to work anymore and we all share in the bounty of the laboring machines. Dystopia if either the machines or the owners of the machines or the government decide to horde most of the resources and leave scraps for everybody else to survive upon.

More
29 May 2015 16:48 #203135 by ChristopherMD

Shellhead wrote: If the machines take all the jobs, the result could be utopia or dystopia, depending on how society is structured at that point. Utopia if nobody needs to work anymore and we all share in the bounty of the laboring machines. Dystopia if either the machines or the owners of the machines or the government decide to horde most of the resources and leave scraps for everybody else to survive upon.

I suppose it would vary by country. Probably cause WW3 somehow.

More
29 May 2015 16:49 #203136 by stoic
Utopia.

Attachments:

More
31 May 2015 09:24 - 20 Feb 2016 21:35 #203173 by Cranberries
Chomsky hasn't done research in his field for decades--he's all about the politics. I saw him speak at Portland State University in 1994. It felt like a religious revival.

I know nothing about AI. Love that sugar test, though.
Last edit: 20 Feb 2016 21:35 by Cranberries.

More
31 May 2015 09:49 #203174 by Gary Sax

Shellhead wrote: If the machines take all the jobs, the result could be utopia or dystopia, depending on how society is structured at that point. Utopia if nobody needs to work anymore and we all share in the bounty of the laboring machines. Dystopia if either the machines or the owners of the machines or the government decide to horde most of the resources and leave scraps for everybody else to survive upon.

There's a strain of economics literature suggesting that this is already what is happening. Post-industrial society is so unequal because things that can't be done by machines right now are of two types. We are splitting into capital owners and high skill, so far non-machine replicable creative skills, which machines cannot do yet. But it also turns out that there is a swathe of very low skill jobs that are also non-replicable using machines. Robots are shitty housekeepers, for example, and will be for the foreseeable future due to the nature of the job. The service economy and all that.

More
02 Jun 2015 15:13 #203268 by Columbob

Gregarius wrote:

Mr. White wrote: What if two competing companies develop ASI at the same time? What about two nations? Do we get an Ultron v Jarvis throwdown? Do they tag team and conquer the earth?

If you'd like to see this in movie form, I highly recommend Colossus: The Forbin Project.

In a similar vein, there were competing Terminator factions in the Sarah Connor Chronicles series, some sent back to terminate Skynet.

More
18 Feb 2016 23:39 #222818 by Cranberries

Columbob wrote:

Gregarius wrote:

In a similar vein, there were competing Terminator factions in the Sarah Connor Chronicles series, some sent back to terminate Skynet.

I never quite figured out what was happening in the last few episodes and then it ended, but Terminator: Salvation sort of filled in some of the gaps.

More
19 Feb 2016 21:11 - 19 Feb 2016 21:11 #222875 by Columbob

craniac wrote:

Columbob wrote:

Gregarius wrote:

I never quite figured out what was happening in the last few episodes and then it ended, but Terminator: Salvation sort of filled in some of the gaps.

Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 19 Feb 2016 21:11 by Columbob.

More
20 Feb 2016 09:56 #222892 by stoic

More
24 Feb 2016 17:34 #223203 by stoic
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.425 seconds