October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

FALLOUT 4

More
04 Jun 2015 09:50 #203374 by Disgustipater
Replied by Disgustipater on topic FALLOUT 4
Not knowing anything about the Fallout series aside from it being an open world FPS, what's the big deal? (genuine question)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jun 2015 09:53 #203375 by Columbob
Replied by Columbob on topic FALLOUT 4

Black Barney wrote: could your dog get killed in Fallout 3? I think mine did but I can't remember. I was terrible at keeping companions alive.

He could, but I think there was a bug where he got more and more life points every level that YOU got, so by level 30 he was almost indestructible.

More
04 Jun 2015 09:54 #203376 by Columbob

Disgustipater wrote: Not knowing anything about the Fallout series aside from it being an open world FPS, what's the big deal? (genuine question)

It's post-apoc.

More
04 Jun 2015 14:57 #203394 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic FALLOUT 4

Disgustipater wrote: Not knowing anything about the Fallout series aside from it being an open world FPS, what's the big deal? (genuine question)

It's not a FPS. It's a western-style RPG from a first-person viewpoint. This is another RPG spliced with FPS-qualities. Mass Effect did this as well but in a very very different way.

Bethesda western-RPGs like Fallout 3, Skyrim and Oblivion all share one really cool characteristic. If you see it, you can go there. You know how there are backdrops of mountains or other items in the vistas? They don't put them in unless you can go there. So if you see an insane mountain in the distance, you could start walking in that direction and eventually you will hit the base of the mountain and then can find a way to go up it. You will run into stuff on the way though.

This type of world really makes you feel part of it. You'll want to be efficient in your travels and will constantly get distracted with side-quests and other random encounters as you move around the world. Oh the places you'll go,

Specific to Fallout, there's something pretty special about coming out of a vault (read: nuke shelter) where you've spent a good part of your life and then walking around the world (in this case BOSTON) to see what's become of things. What has survived. What new monstrosities have taken hold of the place.

On the RPG level, it's really fun developing skills and getting better with your weapons as you find better guns and armor. Some guns will appeal to you far more than others. You can go melee too if you want.

More
04 Jun 2015 15:03 - 04 Jun 2015 15:03 #203395 by Disgustipater
Replied by Disgustipater on topic FALLOUT 4

Black Barney wrote: If you see it, you can go there.

That's basically a video game trope at this point.

Black Barney wrote: On the RPG level, it's really fun developing skills and getting better with your weapons as you find better guns and armor. Some guns will appeal to you far more than others.

Do you get loot? Where you have to compare weapon stats to see what is better? Because I hate that.
Last edit: 04 Jun 2015 15:03 by Disgustipater.

More
04 Jun 2015 15:15 #203397 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic FALLOUT 4
Black Barney still believes that you can do ANYTHING you want in these kinds of games.

More
04 Jun 2015 15:32 #203399 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic FALLOUT 4
I'm not sure why but many people came up to me at work today to ask if I'd seen the Fallout 4 trailer, expecting me to give two fucks. I don't.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
04 Jun 2015 15:34 #203400 by Black Barney
Yeah, I don't think it's on a rails at all. The choices you make in Fallout 3 had some pretty huge consequences. Early on you have to decide if you are going to disarm a nuke in the middle of a thriving community (Megaton) or if you're going to listen to that nefarious dude who needs Megaton wiped off the Earth and all its inhabitants with it (so you would arm the nuke and then get out of dodge).

Disgust, yeah everything drops l00t. There's no easy place to compare weapon stats, you sort of just pick up new guns and look at some of the numbers and condition of the gun to decide if you want to keep it or what.

More
04 Jun 2015 21:47 #203418 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic FALLOUT 4

Disgustipater wrote: Do you get loot? Where you have to compare weapon stats to see what is better? Because I hate that.

Rarely. Weapons stat are generally defined by its type (assault rifle is assault rifle). Sometimes you encounter a rare version of it, but that doesn't happen often. Usually you just stuck with the same weapon for quite some time.

In 3 your weapon can degrade but you can fix it by sacrificing other weapon of the same type.

More
05 Jun 2015 15:13 #203443 by Columbob

Black Barney wrote: Yeah, I don't think it's on a rails at all. The choices you make in Fallout 3 had some pretty huge consequences.

New Vegas did a lot more of that, there were many factions trying to influence and recruit you. I think at least 4 different ways to reach the end of the storyline.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Frohike

More
05 Jun 2015 15:21 #203447 by Black Barney
looking at the trailer again in greater detail, it looks like there's an outpost (a la Megaton) set up in Fenway Park. I'm going there in August so it'll be cool to see if that's the case

More
05 Jun 2015 16:07 #203450 by Morpheous
Replied by Morpheous on topic FALLOUT 4
Wow...just heard a couple days ago...one of my favorite games of all time and NOW its #4 YES! Oh and XCOM news awesome too!
2015...a good year for gaming :)

More
05 Jun 2015 16:12 #203451 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic FALLOUT 4
I agree with BB that Bethesda's best quality is the go anywhere you want thing. It was a dream as a kid, whatever game I was playing I wished I could go anywhere in that world, I would imagine going to the castle in the background or....

Then it turned out that after playing a couple of their games that being able to go there isn't nearly as cool as I imagined it was. Whoo hooo, I got some wood and an old frying pan. Can't wait to use that to craft some shit... The mystery of what I imagined is gone and it was a huge let down.

In principle I still like it and I find that their games are really top heavy for me. I really enjoy the sense of exploration I get in the first 20 or so hours of play and then it just bogs down and I never finish them. The grind kills me.

Also, you can't go quite anywhere, sometimes an particular area will just glitch ad infinitum and you have to give up on it.

This looks cool though, I wonder if they will end their glitch streak this generation and maybe improve the actual gameplay, which was incredibly barbaric last time I played a game of theirs.

More
05 Jun 2015 16:47 #203452 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic FALLOUT 4
I love exploring in Fallout. There are bits of story everywhere, and by story I mean story, not a text infodump for you to read. I ultimately hated Skyrim because I thought its plot was dumb, I didn't give a shit about its dumb world, it seemingly wanted you to be an asshole, and the only exploring payoff was another tomb with skeletons in it or cave with bandits. Fallout, for me, was a more interesting world with more interesting people and more interesting things to find.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Frohike

More
06 Jun 2015 06:08 #203456 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic FALLOUT 4

Legomancer wrote: I love exploring in Fallout. There are bits of story everywhere, and by story I mean story, not a text infodump for you to read. I ultimately hated Skyrim because I thought its plot was dumb, I didn't give a shit about its dumb world, it seemingly wanted you to be an asshole, and the only exploring payoff was another tomb with skeletons in it or cave with bandits. Fallout, for me, was a more interesting world with more interesting people and more interesting things to find.

I think both have merits though, and this is not a "weak 7" statement. I've always appreciated the way Skyrim environment is designed. Some places are hills, other mountains, river canyons, foggy swamp, etc. The first time I visited Riverwood with the mountain backdrop I got shivers.

The man-made structures, dungeon and people are nowhere as interesting as Fallout, I admit. It's subtler, but I enjoy nature and Skyrim works well for me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.226 seconds