October 09, 2023
2450 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2651 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

Your Halloween Costume

More
12 Oct 2017 20:04 #255621 by dysjunct
Replied by dysjunct on topic Your Halloween Costume
Thread necro because I haven’t seen Barnes’ annual rant against sexy costumes. But this is great:

It’s a sexy costume costume!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, metalface13

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Oct 2017 22:11 - 12 Oct 2017 22:12 #255628 by Michael Barnes
That's really funny!

I am actually doing a costume this year- 4th Doctor. I have the official hat, scarf (went 12' rather than 18' because it was $30 cheaper), and sonic screwdriver. Yes, the actual 4th Doctor one. I also have a wig, it's actually a Buddy wig from Elf but it looks just right- it's not an Afro. For the coat and pants I'm hitting thrift for something tweedy and 70s. I have some proper English gentlemen shoes. Will need a bag of vegan jelly babies.

Originally the plan was to be a Death Eater. I thought that would be fairly easy and cool. But I can't get a mask in time (resin replicas from China) and the costume is actually more complex than it looks. And I didn't want to do just some lame Halloween cloak.

My kids are doing Jack and Sally.
Last edit: 12 Oct 2017 22:12 by Michael Barnes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct

More
12 Oct 2017 22:28 #255630 by dysjunct
Brief googling indicates quite a few options from UK vegan stores:

www.veganstore.co.uk/mm5/merchant.mvc?Sc...=1&Category_Code=520

(Etc.)

Coin flip if they’d get here in time for Halloween.

More
26 Oct 2017 10:28 #256392 by Da Bid Dabid
Replied by Da Bid Dabid on topic Your Halloween Costume
My daughter wanted to go as her class pet - Ms. Piggy the Guinea pig. Son is a firefighter. I usually put together a costume the day of a party/handing out candy/whatever.

Last year it was really F:AT appropriate.
photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPjqj5Ah0OM...VzBKV3JadmlJRWtZU3NB
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd, Mr. White

More
26 Oct 2017 11:12 - 26 Oct 2017 11:13 #256399 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Your Halloween Costume
i'm thinking this year as costume, I'd just walk around in normal clothes but with a Tiki torch.

Last edit: 26 Oct 2017 11:13 by Black Barney.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stormseeker75, hotseatgames

More
26 Oct 2017 15:10 #256426 by ufe20
Replied by ufe20 on topic Your Halloween Costume
To really complete the look you have to wear khakis and a white polo. Maybe even that shitty haircut they all seem to have.

My wife is planning on dressing up our recently turned 1 year old son as an Ewok. Should be adorable.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
26 Oct 2017 15:32 - 26 Oct 2017 15:34 #256428 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Your Halloween Costume

Michael Barnes wrote: I have some proper English gentlemen shoes.

That Doctor wore golf shoes without the spikes in for a couple of years, which really haven't changed very much since then (short of the sneaker variety). You can pick them up on the cheap at thrift stores, though it sounds like you're set for this year.

Two weeks and no one has commented on the dynamite legs in the photo above. You're all such gentlemen.
Last edit: 26 Oct 2017 15:34 by Sagrilarus.

More
26 Oct 2017 15:42 #256432 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic Your Halloween Costume
My 3 year old is going as a Ghostbuster and wants me to be the same -- so it is Venkman and Stanz for us.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
26 Oct 2017 16:05 - 26 Oct 2017 16:05 #256434 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Your Halloween Costume

Shellhead wrote: Are any of you dressing up in costume for Halloween this year? If so, have you decided on a costume yet?

I haven't decided which venue I am going to on Halloween night, and that may influence my choice of costume.

There is this weekly dance thing that features '80s music, and their Halloween party is always great. If I go there, I will probably go as Donny Darko again, since the movie was set in 1988. Donny Darko on Halloween, that is. So just black pants, my hand-painted skeleton shirt, and a black hoodie. I bear a vague resemblance to Jake Gyllenhaal, though I am definitely looking to old to be Donnie Darko lately. No cover charge, a very good DJ, and a large dance floor. However, I might need a new black hoodie, as my existing one has taken a severe beating over the last 15 years.

Or I might go to the local goth bar, which will have a high cover charge and still be packed on Halloween. Two of the three DJs there are friends of mine, including one who works a day job at Fantasy Flight. For that venue, I would go as John Constantine. I've the exact clothes for it, especially the trench coat, which has naturally acquired a bit of wear and tear and a few small stains over the years. And I could easily do the stubble. The only tricky part would be the blond hair. I might try one of those temporary spray-on things, but I have no prior experience with that.

Or maybe I will wing it that night. If the spray-on blond hair doesn't look passable, I will wash it out and go as Donnie Darko. If it works, I might avoid the high cover and mob scene at the goth bar and take my Hellblazer look to the '80s thing. The character debuted in the mid-'80s and even had his own monthly title before the decade was over.

In the end, I decided to go as John Constantine that night. I tried multiple hair products, including chalk and spray, and didn't get convincing results. I put a handful of Halloween candy in one of my trenchcoat pockets and went to the '80s dance. I gave out candy to anybody who recognized my costume, as well as a few choice women. I ran into some old friends, and one couple set me up with their recently-divorced friend, a very physically fit brunette in her early 40s. Since my girlfriend and I were on shaky ground at the time, I ended up going out with the brunette the following Friday, though my conscience forced me to come clean and nothing happened.

Five months later, I was at another one of these '80s dances, and two women were happy to see me there because they remembered me giving them Halloween candy (because one of them was an attractive middle-aged brunette in a Batgirl outfit on Halloween). I ended up going out with the brunette a couple of times before the disastrous night where I nearly got in a fight over her at a gay bar.

So last Halloween, I went to the goth bar as John Constantine. My girlfriend had moved back in with me but had to work that night. I had a great time dancing and hanging out with some friends, and stayed out of trouble. Several people recognized me as John Constantine, and one thought I was Castiel from Supernatural. I will be going back to the same goth bar this Saturday, again as Constantine.

Here I am in costume, the first time around. I guess I must look better in dim bar lighting.

scontent.ffcm1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/...5459d7e2&oe=5A6CD981
Last edit: 26 Oct 2017 16:05 by Shellhead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
26 Oct 2017 21:18 #256442 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Your Halloween Costume
Here's me this year... Varys from Game of Thrones. Just skinnier and better equipped.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
26 Oct 2017 21:46 #256443 by dysjunct
By better equipped, I assume you mean “with glasses.”
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, hotseatgames

More
26 Oct 2017 21:53 #256444 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Your Halloween Costume
I thought he meant, « with even less hair »
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
30 Oct 2017 22:05 #256647 by ChristopherMD

Tricia Helfer wins Halloween by dressing up as Six.

More
30 Oct 2017 22:33 #256649 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Your Halloween Costume
Had a good time at the goth bar on Saturday night. More people recognized my costume this year, thanks to more recent appearances by Constantine on Arrow and Heroes of Tomorrow. One lucky fan got to dance with me for several songs. In fact, DC characters were the most common sort of costume that night, including the usual suspects (two pairs of Joker and Harley Quinn) and even Hawkman and Aquaman. It being a goth bar, the next most common costumes were debased clergy and monsters.

More
21 Sep 2018 11:54 #282035 by dysjunct

It's the moooooooosstt wonderful time .... of the yeaaaaaaarrrrr.....

Costume has already been pulled due to "online outrage." That phrase, or variations of it, appeared in several headlines. I don't doubt that it sucks to get hounded into leaving Twitter or whatever, but "online outrage" is easily the most tired kind of outrage. There needs to be a clever portmanteau a la "slacktivism" to properly demean it. Couchrage?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.246 seconds