October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

David Bowie RIP

More
11 Jan 2016 11:33 #219599 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic David Bowie RIP
Just 3 albums? That's really tough given how much territor he covered. I guess I'd have to say Ziggy Stardust, Hunky Dory, and Low.

Say what you will about Let's Dance and his 80s output, but there aren't many songs Iove and am positivelyinfected by like I am with "Modern Love." Just a tremendous pop song.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 433

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2016 12:18 #219608 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic David Bowie RIP
Oh! You Pretty Thing has been in my head since college. I don't think I've heard it in 25 years.

Still think about it though.

More
11 Jan 2016 12:42 #219618 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic David Bowie RIP
I loved him as the Goblin King. Also really liked him in The Man Who Fell to Earth.

More
11 Jan 2016 12:58 #219620 by Hadik
Replied by Hadik on topic David Bowie RIP
This performance - though a bit corny - opened my eyes to what a cool guy he really was. I always get sentimental when watching him in this performance with an icon from my dad's era.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 433

More
11 Jan 2016 13:17 - 11 Jan 2016 13:29 #219621 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic David Bowie RIP
Wow. From a friend on FB (hey, usefulness - from one of the friends I like) I found out this happened. '91 and apparently, Bowie sort of hid in the background for a few lines before coming out. Too bad there's so much yelling going on...

Last edit: 11 Jan 2016 13:29 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hadik

More
11 Jan 2016 13:31 #219626 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic David Bowie RIP
Back to the Goblin King -- my cousin and I used to sing this all the time

More
11 Jan 2016 14:17 #219644 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic David Bowie RIP
Every time I come into this forum today and see "David Bowie RIP" I just tear up.

Thinking about it all day, obviously...it's more than just another "old rock star died today" story. This is someone that influenced a tremendous swath of art, music, film, literature, fashion, graphic design, hairstyles...all of culture owes Bowie a debt of gratitude. He was a science fiction icon as much as a pop icon. Without Bowie, the entire lineage, impact and legacy of pre-punk/punk/post-punk/new wave goes in a different direction. Who knows how many gay people looked to him as not just an idol, but as a symbol of fearlessness and confidence. It's impossible to sort out how many musicians either were inspired by Bowie or that directly, wilfully copped everything from Bowie because there's no sense in trying to beat the best.

I was thinking today about the two times that I saw Bowie live. Once was in 1997, on the Earthling tour. It was on my 22nd birthday, and it was at this general admission venue called The International Ballroom. I was right up front. I remember standing there before the show started wondering how I was going to react to seeing him. I wondered what song was going to be first, how he would walk on stage and so forth. I expected it to open up with one of the drum and bass numbers off "Earthling". I didn't expect to hear much of the older, classic material- kept expectations in check. The lights went down, and Bowie walked out on stage by himself with an acoustic guitar. He was wearing a white, linen shirt and chinos. He looked like he could have been someone's really, really cool dad. His presence was just incredible, I have never been anywhere near anyone that had that sort of aura about them. He stepped up to the microphone and started singing "Quicksand", from "Hunky Dory". I stood there just in awe, half-mouthing the words with tears streaming down my cheeks. It was a great show, and he did play some of the older stuff but mostly deep cuts and album tracks. No "Ziggy Stardust".

I saw him again in 2003 on the Reality tour at Chastain Park, an outdoor venue. It was an entirely different experience, but it was still just incredible. Bowie looked eternally young in a black t-shirt, jeans and Chuck Taylors. He was having a lot of fun, and the set was packed with hits- and he closed with Ziggy Stardust.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, metalface13, Gary Sax, ThirstyMan, Hadik

More
11 Jan 2016 15:48 #219665 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic David Bowie RIP
I have loved listening to all his stuff from the 70s and early 80s most of my life, but funnily one of the albums I liked listening to when younger was Pin-Ups where he covered loads on British bands from the 60s - just showed his artistic ability.
I think people are more shocked with his death than with other celebrities because he was seldom (ever ?) controversially bad as a public figure, he lived his dreams and helped change little parts of history while making so many people happy. The sun will come up tomorrow and as someone famous said today he has left us his music for the rest of our lives.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
11 Jan 2016 16:04 #219670 by ThirstyMan
Replied by ThirstyMan on topic David Bowie RIP
Strangely, being a cynical type, I'm also finding it pretty hard to cope with. Deaths within my own family have not hit me as hard as this one and that is super wierd as I obviously didn't know him personally. His music was hugely important as I broke away from an evangelical background when I was 16 in 1978. I'd been listening to him for a while and Life on Mars was one of the first singles I bought.

I remember writing some of the lyrics from Moonage Daydream and posting them above my bed "Don't fake it baby, lay the real thing on me. The church of man, love, is such a holy thing to be"

Hugely, influential guy for me. Apologies for rambling.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, 433

More
11 Jan 2016 16:11 - 11 Jan 2016 16:13 #219672 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic David Bowie RIP

ThirstyMan wrote: Strangely, being a cynical type, I'm also finding it pretty hard to cope with. Deaths within my own family have not hit me as hard as this one and that is super wierd as I obviously didn't know him personally. His music was hugely important as I broke away from an evangelical background when I was 16 in 1978. I'd been listening to him for a while and Life on Mars was one of the first singles I bought.

I remember writing some of the lyrics from Moonage Daydream and posting them above my bed "Don't fake it baby, lay the real thing on me. The church of man, love, is such a holy thing to be"

Hugely, influential guy for me. Apologies for rambling.

I think to some extent anyone that listened in detail to any of his songs has that sort of personal relationship with him. When you peeled the wrapper off of one of his albums you sure didn't know what you were gonna get, and invariably you found yourself soul searching as you listened. He seemed to speak directly to each one of his listeners simultaneously.

I'm not a big music guy so I'm likely not the best to judge. But Bowie to me seemed to be the exclusive member of the "Bowie" category, always ahead of the people that followed in his footsteps. He was always moving.
Last edit: 11 Jan 2016 16:13 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
11 Jan 2016 16:15 - 11 Jan 2016 16:40 #219675 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic David Bowie RIP

Southernman wrote: I think people are more shocked with his death than with other celebrities because he was seldom (ever ?) controversially bad as a public figure, he lived his dreams and helped change little parts of history while making so many people happy. The sun will come up tomorrow and as someone famous said today he has left us his music for the rest of our lives.

I think this is exactly it, thank you, Southernman.
Last edit: 11 Jan 2016 16:40 by Gary Sax.

More
11 Jan 2016 16:25 - 11 Jan 2016 16:26 #219676 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic David Bowie RIP
It's also that he was always relevant. Even during times when he wasn't at his peak or when he was more or less absent from the public eye, you could always have a conversation about Bowie and it felt of the time- or even ahead of the time. He never settled into that rock n' roll old folks home, he never cheapened his legacy. A 2015 David Bowie record isn't the same thing as a 2015 Rolling Stones or Paul McCartney record. He was never past his sell-by date, he was never a washed-up joke. So to read that he died is just a massive shock.

More than that, he had that timeless, truly iconic cool that is now gone. I can't think of anyone living, at this point, that has that anymore.

He had such a mercurial, restless spirit...always creating, always innovating in one way or another. The loss of that energy in this world is just an unspeakable tragedy- particularly since he was already making plans to do more, to give us more.
Last edit: 11 Jan 2016 16:26 by Michael Barnes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, 433, Gary Sax

More
11 Jan 2016 16:38 - 11 Jan 2016 16:50 #219679 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic David Bowie RIP

Michael Barnes wrote: More than that, he had that timeless, truly iconic cool that is now gone. I can't think of anyone living, at this point, that has that anymore.

It's a sad twist that the other individual that could be described like that also recently passed....Lemmy.

I wasn't a super fan of his either, but he seemed to always viewed as cool...no matter the year.

So, you're right, who's left? No Ramones, no Strummer, no Cash, no Lemmy, No Bowie. Personally, I'd say Morrissey, but I know he goes in and out of popular fashion...and I'm not sure many actually view him as "cool".
Last edit: 11 Jan 2016 16:50 by Mr. White.

More
11 Jan 2016 16:51 #219681 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic David Bowie RIP

Mr. White wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote: More than that, he had that timeless, truly iconic cool that is now gone. I can't think of anyone living, at this point, that has that anymore.

It's a sad twist that the other individual that could be described like that also recently passed....Lemmy.

I wasn't a super fan of his either, but he seemed to always viewed as cool...no matter the year.

So, you're right, who's left? No Ramones, no Strummer, no Lemmy, No Bowie. Personally, I'd say Morrissey, but I know he goes in and out of popular fashion...and I'm not sure many actually view him as "cool".

There's a few 'cool' guys left. My first pick would definitely be Leonard Cohen. Who likewise never seems in or out of fashion, is pretty much always relevant and managed to walk around with a woman on each arm without being called sexist.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 433, Columbob

More
11 Jan 2016 17:45 #219686 by scissors
Replied by scissors on topic David Bowie RIP
some cool guys left I'd have to say Depeche Mode, although their contribution/innovation/evolution is more in the past. but i am still happy they still perform and played Prague a couple times a few years back.

I will miss Bowie's voice. My friend got me into him when I was still a kid in Canada. She was a few years older and asked me what I wanted for Christmas. I said 'Lego' but instead she gave me two albums: Changes and Aladdin Sane. She said, in a few years you won't be playing with legos anymore... but I think you'll still be listening to these.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds