October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

Glenn Frey RIP

More
20 Jan 2016 21:22 #220385 by Cranberries
Glenn Frey RIP was created by Cranberries
If I'm being honest, this guy had a bigger impact on my musical life than David Bowie. I just wasn't cool.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Varys

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jan 2016 21:30 - 20 Jan 2016 21:33 #220386 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Glenn Frey RIP
The Eagles were massive in the 70s. I probably played Hotel California front to back 50 times when I was a kid.
Last edit: 20 Jan 2016 21:33 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
20 Jan 2016 21:59 #220388 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Glenn Frey RIP
Is it bad that I thought Smugglers Blues before the Eagles?

More
20 Jan 2016 22:52 #220389 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Glenn Frey RIP
We need an RIP megathread. They're dropping like flies.

More
21 Jan 2016 06:04 #220391 by SuperFlySwatter
Replied by SuperFlySwatter on topic Glenn Frey RIP
Until I read this thread I had no idea who Glenn Frey was.

More
21 Jan 2016 11:02 - 21 Jan 2016 11:25 #220400 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Glenn Frey RIP

craniac wrote: If I'm being honest, this guy had a bigger impact on my musical life than David Bowie. I just wasn't cool.

This probably applies to me as well. I was never a huge Eagles fan but I was also never a big Bowie fan yet my mom would play the Eagles quite a bit when I was a kid. Witchy Woman, Lyin' Eyes... I remember these songs fondly even if it is through a cloud of nostalgia and lost time. Everyone in the band was a good singer, all were pretty good on their respective instruments, they wrote some catchy melodies. There was a lot of talent in there. Time hasn't been kind though and their catalogue has aged poorly. I kind of see them as the beginning of people fucking up country music and turning it into some kind of weird pop rock amalgamation. I suppose you could argue that the Band did that too but I feel like their albums have aged a little more gracefully, I can still listen to the Band... I would never put the Eagles on voluntarily.

Still, I have a fondness for some of their songs that is difficult for me to reckon with and I can still sing some of them word for word when they come on the radio. So I don't want to poo poo them too much and any loss is sad really. Hell, I lost my virginity to Hotel California (through no fault of my own... I was so excited I wasn't about to say; "wait! I have to change the song first this is too embarrassing") so I have to say something positive about them. RIP Glenn Frey, let's hope that wherever you've gone the heat is not on too much. ;)
Last edit: 21 Jan 2016 11:25 by OldHippy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, bfkiller

More
21 Jan 2016 11:22 #220403 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Glenn Frey RIP
I liked the cover of Wednesday's Daily News. There was a ton of fun stuff on the cover but in the corner was also a headline, "Frey's death is sad, but I still loathe the Eagles"

More
21 Jan 2016 12:28 #220408 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Glenn Frey RIP
I hated the fuckin Eagles, man.
-Dude

More
21 Jan 2016 12:33 #220409 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Glenn Frey RIP

lala wrote: Until I read this thread I had no idea who Glenn Frey was.

Doesn't matter since you don't feel sad for people dying anyway, tough having a job that removes most of your compassion.

More
21 Jan 2016 12:57 #220414 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic Glenn Frey RIP

Southernman wrote:

Doesn't matter since you don't feel sad for people dying anyway, tough having a job that removes most of your compassion.

Is JonJacob a mod at BGG?

More
21 Jan 2016 13:14 #220416 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Glenn Frey RIP

craniac wrote:

Southernman wrote:

Is JonJacob a mod at BGG?

Definitely not, but if the price was right I'd take the job even though my track record there would probably make that impossible.

Still, I'm pretty sure you don't mean me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Black Barney

More
21 Jan 2016 14:41 #220423 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Glenn Frey RIP
The "proper" opinion is that you're supposed to hate The Eagles. But they were a force to be reckoned with in the 70s, immensely popular and influential. Truth be told you can't pigeonhole them into a particular genre, as their lineup and choice of music evolved from country to hard rock over the years they were recording. To a large extent the band was a platform that each songwriter used to deliver their tunes.

This was a band with some serious bonafides, and Frey certainly garnered his share.

More
21 Jan 2016 15:29 #220427 by Almalik
Replied by Almalik on topic Glenn Frey RIP
Was never a big fan, but the History of the Eagles documentary was pretty interesting.

More
21 Jan 2016 16:55 #220437 by SuperFlySwatter
Replied by SuperFlySwatter on topic Glenn Frey RIP

Southernman wrote:

Many people die every day, every hour, every minute, every second. It would be pretty messed up if I wallowed in that, I mean a large number of people live and die in squalour and poverty every second and I don't get a strong feeling that you, me or anyone else is really giving it 100% in trying to make that problem go away so much. I definitely feel sad when people I personally know and care about die. I work in cancer treatment so I see the real face of death up close every fucking day thanks, and its my job to try and stop as many of those from dying as I personally can, and still I get to see children every week who wont be seeing many more birthdays. So spare me your fucking bollocks thanks because I dont really feel like a 70 year old rock god who lived a life of excess and awesomeness and was well rewarded for it, finally succumbs to an illness after living to 70, whether or not I liked his music or whether the music itself had an effect on me.

And that has fuck all to do with the fact that until this thread was posted I had no fucking idea who Glenn Fry was, so no, I didnt feel sad then, but now I know hes a guy from the Eagles, I can also confirm that I dont feel a fucking thing either, but who cares, I was mostly somewhat interested that actually an extremely well known band featured people in it that I wouldnt know by name or face. I guess Im not one of the cool kids.

But no, not sad at all. Actually pretty happy that today I single handedly increased the chance of a 15 year old kid surviving a traumatic total body irradiation treatment by keeping our treatment machine up and running while the service engineers were abroad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Frohike

More
21 Jan 2016 17:07 #220439 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Glenn Frey RIP
Since when did Southernman become a better troll than me :(
The following user(s) said Thank You: wadenels

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.221 seconds