October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

Let's Talk Hipsters

More
06 Mar 2016 18:03 - 06 Mar 2016 18:06 #223868 by Mr. White
Spinning this out of another thread.

I live in LA which by no means makes me an expert on hipsters, but the hipster culture is thriving here. I like hipsters overall, I don't think they go around judging common Joe as much as Repoman thinks. I see them staying in their lane and not giving a crap about what common Joe is doing.
Hipsters have helped gentrify crappy neighborhoods.
Help the spread of more quality coffee outlets that are not Starbucks.
Bring cutting edge foods like Korean tacos into the world, and hamburgers with Ketchup Leather and Bacon Jam.
Craft Beer.
Mixology bars.
Artisanal anything really.
I am not 100% sure but I think hipsters are down with board gaming.

Hipster dudes usually have tattoos, piercings, hair short on the sides long on top, facial hair styled uniquely (wax?), plaid shirt with top button buttoned, skinny jeans (suspenders?). I don't know what hipster women look like except they can be seen with hipster dudes.

There is a big backlash against hipster culture, and I am not sure what they did to deserve it. People seemed threatened by it for some reason. But are hipster truly as snobbish as is attributed to them?

I've got a bone to pick with hipsters. When I moved to Austin in '99 it was an amazing town. The city's unique culture was derived from the blend of cowboy and hippie over the previous decades. All restaurants and clubs were very causal and dog friendly. Flip-flops and great, cheap food was the norm. An average weekend day would be swimming at Barton Springs then going out to eat on the patio at a quaint Mexican restaurant or bbq joint drinking cheap local beer...even though you may smell of the river.

Now, it's a totally different town completely overrun by hipsters (and start ups). The laid back 'Keep Austin Weird' vibe has been pushed out to some of the surrounding small towns and Austin itself is no longer the big city with the small town feel. It is a fact a lot of the hipsters are from California (with New York providing their share) and this has really ripped the heart of the city out. Casualness is no longer the norm, but dressing up and looking cool. The above quoted look is everywhere. There's not much weird in Austin anymore, but a lot of tech and dressing alike. The cost of eating out has gone through the roof as all the transplants have brought their money and their acceptance of paying high cost to eat out (this is documented...restaurants in town will now charge more because people will pay it). Traffic is a nightmare but folks from California are used to sitting in traffic, so we can't seem to get a good public system voted here. A lot of music venues have been forced to close because rent has gotten so high due to the demand for all these people...historic venues are being replaced by condos to accommodate more young hipsters downtown.

I can see some good hipsters may bring, but they also bring so much sameness. Plus, a lot of the 'artisanal' stuff they peddle...I'm not sure needs to be made. Plenty of beers that are undrinkable and bacon on everything.

(Overall though, I'm not really sure what makes someone decide to be a hipster. I mean, the conformity is so strong in that group, at least as far as appearance, I feel like my high schools were actually more diverse.)

Sure, I'm an old man, and Chapel may come in here and set me straight, but the culture of Austin has really changed in the last decade, and I don't think for the better. Sure it's got more of an international feel, the number of high end places to eat have risen, etc. but those aren't reasons I moved to the small hill country city two decades ago.
Last edit: 06 Mar 2016 18:06 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Mar 2016 18:15 - 06 Mar 2016 18:19 #223870 by Chapel
Replied by Chapel on topic Let's Talk Hipsters

Mr. White wrote: Sure, I'm an old man, and Chapel may come in here and set me straight, but the culture of Austin has really changed in the last decade, and I don't think for the better. Sure it's got more of an international feel, the number of high end places to eat have risen, etc. but those aren't reasons I moved to the small hill country city two decades ago.

I'm an older man, and it's totally true. It has gone from one state to another. And by older man, I know Austin when it was something other than a flip-flop wearing laid back city, and back again. I remember the Austin of the mid-80's when it was coming out of the Hippy era into some seriously good punk scene. And a sweet scene it was.

The flip flop era came in the mid-90's with the tech bubble, and I was certainly a part of it. Taco tuesdays, beer-fridays, hawaiian shirts and flip flops...It was really because software people never really dealt with customers, so we were severely lazy when it came to clothing.

Those times have passed. Austin has lost, and I mean totally lost is "Live Music Capital of the World". I mean, there was a time you could pass any bar and not hear some great tunes wafting down the street. That is totally gone. Even though we ow have SXSW and ACL, the local music scene is dead...Austin has become high rises, trendy clubs. and pretty much has become Dallas...money gentrification and all.

Of course the High Tech is still here, and getting bigger, but flip-flops are out, beards, high and tight hair is in. I admit, I am not immune. Flips flops and hawaiian shirts have gone way of the dodo. Join us! Phases come an phases go.

Last edit: 06 Mar 2016 18:19 by Chapel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse, Mr. White

More
06 Mar 2016 18:22 - 06 Mar 2016 18:40 #223872 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Let's Talk Hipsters

Et tu, Chapel? ;)

We just got back from the Alamo watching Zootopia. Not that this is a recent phenom, but that experienced has kind of changed with the demographics as well. It was full of beautiful people. Everyone done up and looking fine. Nothing film nerd or casual about it.
Last edit: 06 Mar 2016 18:40 by Mr. White.

More
06 Mar 2016 19:08 - 06 Mar 2016 19:21 #223873 by KingPut
Replied by KingPut on topic Let's Talk Hipsters
How many hipsters does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Why did the hipster burn his mouth on his slice of pizza?
Last edit: 06 Mar 2016 19:21 by KingPut.

More
06 Mar 2016 19:16 #223874 by KingPut
Replied by KingPut on topic Let's Talk Hipsters
Warning: Spoiler!

More
06 Mar 2016 19:26 #223875 by MacDirk Diggler
Replied by MacDirk Diggler on topic Let's Talk Hipsters
Regarding Austin live music capital of the world.

Live music is hurting. Young people (including hipsters) don't go to clubs to see live music like we did. They will go to clubs to hear DJs mix stuff. It scares me to think about where American music is headed in the future. Not exactly on topic, but kinda.... so many great rock MUSICIANS in the 60s, 70s, some 80s. Where did the musicianship go?

More
06 Mar 2016 19:30 #223876 by Mr. White
To the point on 'gentrifying crappy neighborhoods', I'm not sure how this is handled in other cities, but in Austin it feels like this translates into 'pushing minorities out'.

The city will bend over backwards giving out welfare to white collar corporations, but they don't do anything for the blue collar side of the tracks. The result is about what you'd expect. More white, educated people moving here for the jobs...less blue collar work for any of the locals who don't have degrees. Now, I don't think our local government should be meddling in business like this, but if they are I'd like them to at least use my tax dollars to court business for all types. As it is a portion of the population suffers for it, but hey...we got X-Games and Formula 1 to entertain the elite and some handcrafted worker boot shops so the lumber-sexuals can look like salt of the earth people at their cushy tech jobs.

I make a decent living and feel the pinch in this town. I have no idea how someone without a degree or tech experience makes it.

Good jokes, Kingput.

More
06 Mar 2016 19:45 #223877 by Chapel
Replied by Chapel on topic Let's Talk Hipsters

Mr. White wrote: I have no idea how someone without a degree or tech experience makes it.

Shoot, I have a crushy high tech job, and still can't afford to live in Austin.

More
06 Mar 2016 19:50 - 06 Mar 2016 19:53 #223878 by Mr. White

Chapel wrote:

Mr. White wrote: I have no idea how someone without a degree or tech experience makes it.

Shoot, I have a crushy high tech job, and still can't afford to live in Austin.

I hear ya, brother...we had to move out of the city to get a decent place (on one income). '99 to '04 we lived at Congress and oltorf. Yeah, it was awesome.

Edit: Chapel, cheers for having a good attitude about the changes. Sorry if I come off bitter.

Sorry if I narrowed this thread down to a specifc area. Please, back to hipsters.
Last edit: 06 Mar 2016 19:53 by Mr. White.

More
06 Mar 2016 19:57 #223879 by Disgustipater
Replied by Disgustipater on topic Let's Talk Hipsters
Portland is super hipster-fied. Portland is a lost cause of ridiculousness which wasn't caused by hipsters, but they sure added to it.

I have a general eyeroll attitude toward hipsters, but whatever, live how you want.

More
06 Mar 2016 20:08 #223880 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Let's Talk Hipsters
The following user(s) said Thank You: bendgar, metalface13, Dr. Mabuse, Frohike, JEM

More
06 Mar 2016 20:17 - 06 Mar 2016 20:19 #223881 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Let's Talk Hipsters
I live in what has got to be the least hip city in the nation and I have to say, everything in moderation. You can send us some of your hipsters and lumbersexuals. Anything that would create a market for independent restaurants, decent beer, etc. My brother lives in Austin and I don't want it to go that far, especially with regard to tech $$$ pushing out blue collar everything. But when I hear people backlashing so hard I want to invite them here to this shithole and see how it is with almost none of it at all. Do you like Cheddars? Do you like Golden Corral? Do you like Longhorn Steakhouse? Do you prefer to drink at clones of Buffalo Wild Wings and yell about the Cowboys? Boy, do I have the city for you.

In reality, the alternative to hipster culture is usually suburban culture, which is worse.
Last edit: 06 Mar 2016 20:19 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jason Lutes, Chapel, Mr. White, wadenels

More
06 Mar 2016 22:04 - 06 Mar 2016 22:06 #223883 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Let's Talk Hipsters
Gentrification I couldn't care less about. Pushing out the working class due to increased rents? Don't care. Nobody has dibs on a street or neighborhood or city. People bitched about "white flight" when people fled dangerous and filthy cities for the suburbs and now they bitch when affluent people move back. If people are willing to pay more for the space then more power to them.

The real problem with hipsters is not their money, it's not where they live, it's the underlying foundation of their world view which is "irony". The utter gutless philosophy that truth does not exist so all the world is equally false and bullshit. I wear a trucker hat not because it appeals to me but because it is terrible but I know it's terrible and you know I know. How ironic of me. I drink Pabst Blue Ribbon not because it is a quality beer but because it's shit but I know it's shit and you know I know. How ironic. I make crappy music with a harp and ukelele not because it sounds great but because it's shitty but I know its shitty and you know I know.

All the while there is the undertone of arrogant disdain for those ignorant savages that are so naive and backward as to actually have convictions. Those simpletons that believe in truth, who like what they like with simple joy and not nihilistic scorn.

Hipsters are assholes.
Last edit: 06 Mar 2016 22:06 by repoman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Turek, Space Ghost, Sagrilarus, wadenels, Feelitmon

More
06 Mar 2016 22:19 #223884 by Mr. White
Gary Sax, you live in Lubbock. correct?

Cities like Austin were well established by other cultures and the hipsters arrived when word got out they were 'cool'. To me, they seem more like 'johnny come latelys'. You'd think that if hipsters really want to be avante garde they'd move somewhere remote or uncool and establish it. Maybe like Lubbock...maybe reviving Buddy Holly's hometown or something. I guess the downside to actually trailblazing or being ahead of the curve is that there's no other hipsters around to see you. I think being seen is a big deal.

Reminds me of the Darkness show I went to in Austin. Justin was frustrated mid show because no one was really rocking. Oh, it was a sold out show, but that's because it was the place to be seen, not to, you know, actually rock. This is why I usually see metal or hard rock acts in San Antonio or Houston. You're with actual fans. For this reason, I tend to avoid SXSW.

Regardless, there's got to be something between suburbia and hipsterville...right?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
07 Mar 2016 01:12 #223888 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic Let's Talk Hipsters
Well, I am anti-hipster and anti-hippie.

I find the hipster culture exhausting to be around. Here it is "artisan" everything -- and much of it doesn't need to be made, bought, or consumed (if food). I don't mind craft beer, but for fuck all, don't act like standard "mainstream" beers aren't worth drinking. They are made because the majority of people like to drink them. Don't think that the big beer companies couldn't make the same fucking beer -- they don't because it isn't economically worth it. I was in a meeting with some chemists from one of the major corporate breweries and the stuff they were showing us was absurdly cool.

And who the hell oils their beard? I don't have time for that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, wadenels

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.224 seconds