October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

Nintendo NX

More
26 Jul 2016 13:17 - 26 Jul 2016 15:33 #230879 by Gary Sax
Nintendo NX was created by Gary Sax
www.polygon.com/2016/7/26/12284342/ninte...dheld-console-report

So this is similar to what has been reported in the past and polygon is generally pretty reliable. I mean this as an honest, non-trolling question: is there a market for this with you guys? I know we have some big Nintendo fans here. This form factor doesn't really make any sense in my life but maybe there are people here who this solves some problem I don't have need for?

FWIW, Wii U's shitty tablet was similar in solving a non-existent problem for me and I know some people here loved it and liked its unique characteristics. I'm open to the possibility that when it's released Nintendo will make some games that show me how amazing these form ideas are.
Last edit: 26 Jul 2016 15:33 by Gary Sax.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jul 2016 14:56 #230888 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Nintendo NX
I don't know, they would have to make something really compelling. We have a Wii U that doesn't see a lot of action, and I have a 3DS that sees even less.

More
26 Jul 2016 15:05 #230890 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Nintendo NX
I love the Wii U! I plan on loading up a ton of classic titles before it's services shut their lights off.

Not sure about going to the NX. maybe if it replaces the 3DS as the boy will want to stay involved in the pokemon scene. For consoles though...I'm good ending here (If _only_ we could get F-Zero X!!!!!)

More
26 Jul 2016 18:08 - 26 Jul 2016 18:40 #230902 by wadenels
Replied by wadenels on topic Nintendo NX
I passed on the Wii U at launch, and have since because Nintendo absolutely refuses to deep-discount the thing. I wish they would. There's about 10 titles I really want to play, but I am not paying several hundred dollars for a platform to play 10 titles. I've gotten a lot of hours out of the original Wii though, and I've been really hoping that Nintendo delivers a solid console with the NX. One thing I was really hoping for is backwards compatibility so I could get into the Wii U titles I missed. If the NX really doesn't have that then my interest will definitely be down a notch.

I wonder what they mean by "portable" in this context. It doesn't sound like a true handheld, but it does sound like the type of thing you could plug in and play just about anywhere with an outlet. Not sure if that's a market segment that needs to be served. Maybe. Keep being weird, Nintendo.

EDIT: after reading more about it, the handheld aspect is going to be heavily dependent on battery life, and by extension weight. I wonder if this info is accurate what the actual size of the thing will be.
Last edit: 26 Jul 2016 18:40 by wadenels.

More
26 Jul 2016 19:07 #230903 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Nintendo NX
I'm getting it and I'm getting the little retro NES thing too.

Of course it will be under-supported, widely dismissed and it won't really be anything like a PS4 or XB1 (cartridges!). Most people will not understand the point. But then an R&D1 Mario game will come out. And most likely another Splatoon. Maybe Metroid or F-Zero. A new Smash. Not to mention the new Zelda it is launching with. Suddenly the little toy console is better than everything else out there.

Can't wait to see what this thing looks like.

More
26 Jul 2016 20:24 #230908 by wadenels
Nintendo is second to none when it comes to making fun games. Rumors are that the NX will be well-supported at launch. If so it will sell.

More
26 Jul 2016 23:05 #230914 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Nintendo NX
I get the draw on Nintendo games studios, it is omnipresent.

You guys mind if I focus the conversation? What is your reaction to the form factor (tabletish thing surround by two controllers that detach). Is that attractive to you?

More
26 Jul 2016 23:20 #230916 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Nintendo NX
The attractive part of it is a unified platform. You don't have to worry about whether a game is on 3DS or Wii U. The downside, depending on price, is the idea of getting two of them (2 kids).

More
27 Jul 2016 14:39 #230950 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic Nintendo NX

Gary Sax wrote: I get the draw on Nintendo games studios, it is omnipresent.

You guys mind if I focus the conversation? What is your reaction to the form factor (tabletish thing surround by two controllers that detach). Is that attractive to you?

I need to see some concept art, I'm having a hard time wrapping my meager brain around this.

More
27 Jul 2016 17:08 #230958 by wadenels

hotseatgames wrote: The attractive part of it is a unified platform. You don't have to worry about whether a game is on 3DS or Wii U.

This is a pretty big deal. Nintendo's Wii U release lulls were often when they were releasing a stream of 3DS titles and vice-versa. But will they actually stop supporting the 3DS in favor of the NX as a portable? Ending first party titles for the 3DS would be a pretty big deal and could turn off a lot of gamers.

More
27 Jul 2016 17:14 #230959 by wadenels
The more I think about the form factor the more I like it. Playing "real console" games on the couch while leaving the TV available for somebody else, while still being able to throw multiplayer games up on the big screen for couch multiplayer is pretty awesome.

I want to know more -- assuming these rumours are accurate -- about the controllers. Do they disconnect to do a WiiMote+Nunchuk thing? Do I need to buy more sets just to support a 2nd player? Also, is all the hardware really in the tablet or does the docking station pack some extra GPU punch? What does it all mean?!

More
27 Jul 2016 22:10 #230973 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Nintendo NX
They could make a toilet with controllers made of glass shards and I would buy it if it had SUPER DUPER METROID so just get on with it Nintendo.

More
28 Jul 2016 11:20 #230998 by san il defanso
Replied by san il defanso on topic Nintendo NX
A couple things:

- This sounds a lot like the interesting parts of the Wii U, if they actually had utilized them. The off-screen play is a cool idea, but it's less useful when you use your Wii U as your main TV source. (Netflix, etc.) But the NX might have some more traction there, if it embraces its portable roots more effectively.

- Battery life is a biggie. I really hope Nintendo can wring 10-12 hours from the NX in portable mode, or that part isn't really very impressive.

- With the release of the classic NES, I'm wondering if Nintendo might soon move away from the Virtual Console as their main way to use old games. I'm wondering this, because we are getting to a point where old Nintendo games after roughly 2001 really need setups that the Virtual Console can't provide, but a stand-alone plug-and-play system could. The Gamecube used pressure-sensitive buttons, and the Wii has those motion controls that are tethered to AA batteries. A standalone GC with the 20 best games on it? The only hurdle would be that you need to buy four controllers, but the use of classic controllers on the NES classic system says that Nintendo is willing to be flexible with that.

I will almost certainly get one, though I'll probably wait for a bit until the price goes down and the "better" version will inevitably be released. If the stable of games is good it could have a lot of potential I think.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.294 seconds