October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

Let's Talk - Dumping Cell Phones

More
15 Nov 2016 16:12 #238507 by jeb

Mr. White wrote: Looks like cricket doesn't have a $25 plan anymore, but a $30 one.

www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phone-plans

Keep scrolling down, they have a one-liner, "need something simpler, try the talk-and-text" plan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Nov 2016 16:15 #238508 by RobertB
Sticking up for Verizon makes me want to throw up, but here goes...

Until recently, I was on Virgin Mobile, which was aggressively mediocre. It's an MVRO of Sprint, but doesn't support roaming. No Sprint coverage, no cell service. Now I'm on Verizon, and the service is a little better.

If you're family is already using one of the large services, like Verizon, you're probably better off just adding a phone to the existing account. They're expensive at the start but get cheaper for the extra phone. I was paying $40/month before, and about $30/month now, for better service. You have to deal with the PITA Verizon staff, but that's life in the 21st century I guess.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
15 Nov 2016 16:16 - 15 Nov 2016 16:16 #238509 by Mr. White

Da Bid Dabid wrote: I've never had a smartphone, I miss having a camera on me at all times every once in a while mostly due to my children doing funny things. T9 texting takes forever so that usually keeps me from wasting time doing that.

I'm on some T-Moblie family plan where the rest of my family has smart phones so it ends up being like $15 a month. I looked a while ago but couldn't find anything cheaper than that, so that may be a good target price.

Does that $15 a month include everyone?

(I've included a lot of links in this thread so it'll be a resource later...)
Last edit: 15 Nov 2016 16:16 by Mr. White.

More
15 Nov 2016 16:19 #238510 by Da Bid Dabid
I think just my non-smart, non-data line is $15. I'll look into it and give you exact details, because off the top of my head I honestly don't know.

Mr. White wrote:

Da Bid Dabid wrote: I've never had a smartphone, I miss having a camera on me at all times every once in a while mostly due to my children doing funny things. T9 texting takes forever so that usually keeps me from wasting time doing that.

I'm on some T-Moblie family plan where the rest of my family has smart phones so it ends up being like $15 a month. I looked a while ago but couldn't find anything cheaper than that, so that may be a good target price.

Does that $15 a month include everyone?

(I've included a lot of links in this thread so it'll be a resource later...)

More
15 Nov 2016 16:21 #238511 by Mr. White

jeb wrote:

Mr. White wrote: Looks like cricket doesn't have a $25 plan anymore, but a $30 one.

www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phone-plans

Keep scrolling down, they have a one-liner, "need something simpler, try the talk-and-text" plan.

I see...the pop-up says it's _not_ for smartphones. Guess this is where I order a SIM, put it in my smartphone, and not tell anyone....
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
15 Nov 2016 16:22 #238512 by Mr. White

RobertB wrote: Sticking up for Verizon makes me want to throw up, but here goes...

Until recently, I was on Virgin Mobile, which was aggressively mediocre. It's an MVRO of Sprint, but doesn't support roaming. No Sprint coverage, no cell service. Now I'm on Verizon, and the service is a little better.

If you're family is already using one of the large services, like Verizon, you're probably better off just adding a phone to the existing account. They're expensive at the start but get cheaper for the extra phone. I was paying $40/month before, and about $30/month now, for better service. You have to deal with the PITA Verizon staff, but that's life in the 21st century I guess.

The wife and I are on T*Mobile. My son (9) wants a phone, but he's not getting one right now. So currently, just the two smart phones.

More
15 Nov 2016 16:27 - 15 Nov 2016 16:28 #238513 by ChristopherMD

Mr. White wrote: Looking at what's been put in front of me by Mad Dog...I'm seeing a

$30 phone - www.pagepluscellular.com/phones/alcatel-one-touch-pop-icon/
$12 a month plan - www.pagepluscellular.com/plans/

Even that plan has data on it though... :/

Get a phone that's not a smartphone. 10MB a month isn't much anyways.
Last edit: 15 Nov 2016 16:28 by ChristopherMD.

More
15 Nov 2016 17:46 #238523 by Hex Sinister
I use Tracfone and it costs me fucking $70 annually. I got a new "smartphone" from them recently and it's just fine. Camera, mp3, etc. I mean, it's shit compared to expensive phones and doesn't have any memory (forget about playing Hearthstone or the likes) but I don't give a shit. I'm not paying a cent more for fucking cell service. As long as you don't use much data or minutes, it's SO cheap. Customer service is probably the worst I have ever encountered though.

You will need to buy a triple minutes for life card (or phone). It's cheap. After that just buy whatever minutes and service time you need online. You can add 1 year of service at checkout for like $55. Since I have over 1k minutes stored up (these don't expire unless you fuck up and don't renew) I just buy a 30 minute airtime ($10) and then add the year service.

I'm not sure if you can bring your own phone or not but I think so. You can get one of theirs for cheap.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries, Mr. White

More
15 Nov 2016 18:16 #238525 by Shellhead
We gotta dump these burners before the po-po get up on them with a wire.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Msample, Mr. White

More
15 Nov 2016 22:23 #238534 by Cranberries
When my kid broke his phone screen I gave him mine. I now use some Blu dumb phone from Amazon that cost about $15. It will even play mp3s. My carrier is Ting. About $30 a month. Tracfone sounds better in that regard.

I have a man purse that I use to carry a Lumix fz8(?). It cost $350 nine years ago, and has a 400mm focal length with a Leica lens. I bought it shipped for $35 or something, mint.

My mp3 player is a Sansa Clip that I bought my kids a long time ago.

Cons: Sometimes I don't carry the camera around. I had a pocket Canon that I found at the thrift store for $8.00 that is worth around $80, but it disappeared under mysterious circumstances, so I bought the Panasonic Lumix. Today I missed photographing the installation of $3,000,000 of stained glass. Hopefully they will be around tomorrow.

The only other thing I miss about the smart phone is easy podcast downloading. Other than that, its only real purpose was to distract me while pooping and waiting in line. I have read entire books on the phone, but I also have a Kindle.

Another con is I use my laptop more. It's like a big, powerful, ultra-phone, with a crappy keyboard that makes me weep. I wish I could trade this Macbook for a PC with a good keyboard that didn't suck too hard.

More
15 Nov 2016 22:27 #238535 by dysjunct
Ting is good. See also Republic Wireless.

This guy is the king of cheap tech: www.techmeshugana.com

If you're a podcast listener, there was an interview with him here:
radicalpersonalfinance.com/35/

I recommend the RPF podcast generally if you are into money hacks, anti-consumerism, and fast tracking yourself to financial freedom.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Mr. White, Nodens

More
15 Nov 2016 23:56 - 15 Nov 2016 23:57 #238537 by rocketkiwi
Like Hex Sinister, I pay $10/year for my dataless "pay as you go" grandfathered T-Mobile plan that I use an iPhone 5s on. It's pretty boss. It's neat to see how many ways people get around the financial millstone that is cellular service.
Last edit: 15 Nov 2016 23:57 by rocketkiwi.

More
16 Nov 2016 00:23 #238538 by Mr. White

rocketkiwi wrote: Like Hex Sinister, I pay $10/year for my dataless "pay as you go" grandfathered T-Mobile plan that I use an iPhone 5s on. It's pretty boss. It's neat to see how many ways people get around the financial millstone that is cellular service.

I'm currently on T-Mobile...are you using this 30mins or 30texts plan?
prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/pay-as-you-go

More
16 Nov 2016 00:37 #238539 by rocketkiwi
Sadly, it's a "Gold Rewards" plan that doesn't exist any more. I'm honestly surprised they let me keep it..
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
16 Nov 2016 06:08 #238541 by Chaz
Take a look at Google Fi. You're limited to Nexus phones, but the 5x is a solid smartphone and was on sale for $200 back in the spring when my wife got hers. The service is $20 for unlimited talk/text, then $10 a month per GB of data, but they refund you any unused data and apply it to the next month. My monthly bill is $25 because I'm pretty careful about how I use cell data. The phone also swaps between Sprint and T-Mobile networks depending on which is stronger, and will make calls over wifi instead of cell if that's available. Since we get shitty cell service at my house (even when we were on Verizon), call quality's actually gone up because of the wifi calling thing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.238 seconds