October 09, 2023
2448 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2646 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Looking for beta testers for my skirmish game

More
20 Dec 2013 12:58 #168248 by hotseatgames
Welcome! I (and another Fattie, Dark Arts), am working on a miniatures skirmish game, to be kickstarted in 2014. My task is the design of the game, which is currently playable, and I need some testers to play it and tell me how bad it sucks great it is. All I can promise you as a reward at this point is your name in the rule book as a tester, and potentially the opportunity to make the game better.

What's that you say? "Miniatures skirmish game? Give me a break, there are a million of those." I know! But I didn't make any of those, so this one is totally different. It stresses simplicity and a heavy dose of dice. The rules are minimal. My philosophy behind the game is that most skirmish games get bogged down under the weight of their own rules, trying to be some sort of official tournament game. This game is for people who just want to put some dudes down on the field and roll dice until the other guy is dead. And that will happen fairly quickly. Did your favorite dude just get decimated by a single attack? Get over it! Play again.

There are currently 6 factions in the game:
UNDEAD
SAVAGES
KNIGHTS
DEMONIC LEGION
VOODOO
VIKINGS

What exactly is being asked of you? I respect your free time. I want this to be as painless as possible, since you are doing me a huge favor. Message me your email, and your name as you'd like it to appear in the rulebook. At some point in the near future, you will be sent a link to where you can download the rulebook and game cards. You will have to supply some miniatures (I've been using Reaper Vampire figs), some tokens to indicate attack and defense dice (I've been using health tokens from Tomb since they are dual-sided), and some dice that you don't mind marking up since this game uses custom dice. I've been using blanks that I wrote on with a Sharpie.

Play the game, and email me your thoughts. Was it fun? How long did it take to play? What units did you field? Did anyone seem overly powerful, not powerful enough? Were the rules understandable? Tell me as much or as little as you are willing.

There you have it...who is ready to test Arena of Doom!?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Dec 2013 15:14 #168262 by SuperflyPete
Give more specifics, por favor. Is it objective based? Deathmatch like Frag?

I'll play it. I have a shitload of custom blank dice here as well. I have ~~ample~~ miniatures, and I have a fuckton of Dwarven Forge terrain if 3D is involved.

More
20 Dec 2013 15:28 - 20 Dec 2013 15:30 #168267 by hotseatgames
The only objective is to crush your opponent underfoot. There are two modes. In the primary mode, each side plays "command" cards to determine who gets initiative, and how many units he can activate that turn. Once that's determined, the player activates whatever units he can. Each figure has attack dice and defense dice. These represent health as well, so as wounds are taken, dice are sacrificed, making it very likely that a unit will not survive more than 2 rounds. I wanted it to be bloody, and to not get bogged down with round after round of no damage.

Most units have special powers, some of which are passive, and others that need certain dice results to trigger. Other powers affect other figures within certain ranges, so there are often benefits to keeping units close.

The other mode ("Legacy") is pretty different; units are lined up in ascending point value order, and a single "legacy" card is attached to the first unit. The first unit on both sides enters the arena. When one is killed, the first legacy card is attached to the next unit in line, and a new one is drawn, and also attached. This results in a steady back and forth of escalating one on one matches. The last side to have any remaining units is the winner.

Regarding terrain- it's entirely up to the players, they agree on terrain at the outset. Terrain rules are EXTREMELY short. In fact, here they are:
Terrain
Cover
Terrain affects combat in the game in simple, but powerful, ways. If a figure is completely hidden by terrain features (a rock, a wall, etc.), it is said to be “in cover.” Units in cover can not be targeted by ranged attacks by enemies not in their line of sight (LOS), unless otherwise specified. Certain units have effects that apply to other units in a given radius. These still apply, even to units not in LOS.

Elevation
If a unit’s base is more than 1” higher than its intended target, it gains +1 attack and +1 defense die. These bonuses are only for the purposes of attack or defense; they do not contribute to the actual health of the unit.
Last edit: 20 Dec 2013 15:30 by hotseatgames.

More
20 Dec 2013 15:33 #168269 by SuperflyPete
my handle here @twc.com. Send the rules.

More
22 Dec 2013 21:04 #168384 by hotseatgames
To my army of beta testers: check your email

Go forth on your sacred mission!

To those of you who didn't reply... there's still time!

More
23 Dec 2013 14:14 #168424 by SuperflyPete
When you said "rules light" you were not kidding.

More
23 Dec 2013 23:01 - 24 Dec 2013 00:18 #168449 by hotseatgames
It's meant to be quick! But there could definitely be glaring omissions. Let me know!

Edit... like the fact I just realized that I didn't put the dice faces in the rules yet.

They are: ATTACK, ATTACK, DOUBLE ATTACK, SHIELD, SPECIAL, BLANK.
Last edit: 24 Dec 2013 00:18 by hotseatgames.

More
24 Dec 2013 11:12 #168460 by SuperflyPete
I'm finding that I don't particularly care for some of the names in the game. The "Voodoo" name just sounds terribly lame. It couldn't have been Fallen or Returned or something? Voodoo? Really?

I was going to post that you forgot to include the dice, but you caught that. I'll be testing this out tonight. I have a shitload of WHFB miniatures that are dying to be killed.

More
24 Dec 2013 11:42 #168462 by hotseatgames
Faction names are definitely up for revision, and some of those kinds of names have been kicked around. I really just threw those in there for placeholders; I think the sculptor is doing a lot of the naming.

More
30 Dec 2013 12:12 #168740 by hotseatgames
The rules have been updated, and some units have been adjusted.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.364 seconds