October 09, 2023
2488 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2688 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Imperial Aces

More
03 Jan 2014 08:56 #169010 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Re: Imperial Aces
I almost bit on Attack Wing at my FLGS a couple weeks ago. My main gaming opponent has all the X Wing stuff, so no need to buy that . And certainly from what I've heard about the game play, it sounds appealing. That said,I balked. The model quality vs X Wing definitely appears to be a step down, not to mention the scaling issues between some ships. But more than that - and I think this is why X Wing appears to be losing steam - is that the Star Trek canon has WAY more ships for Whiz Kids to choose from than Star Wars. There is plenty of IP/canon for them to mine . And I don't want to get sucked into buying it.

I think if FFG wound back the clock, they would have slowed the release of new ships and interspersed new sculpts with scenario packs, terrain, etc . Based on all the pimping you see on TOS, there is clearly demand for it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jan 2014 10:12 #169014 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Re: Imperial Aces
My favorite store is sending people to their competitor for X-Wing expansion ships because the haven't been able to get them from the distributor. This was prior to christmas and I think they didn't want to leave kids in the lurch. I'd be curious to see if they're still doing that now, which seems like a very bad idea.

S.

More
03 Jan 2014 10:34 #169018 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Re: Imperial Aces
FFG strikes me as a company that maxmizes cash flow by minimizing inventory . For a lot of things, this a smart way to do business. But well over a year after launching the system, I wonder if in this case, they should have been more aggressive in terms of production of the product. I fully realize its impossible to peg demand every time, but sometimes you just need to see how high high is.

More
03 Jan 2014 11:05 #169021 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Re: Imperial Aces
Yeah, and being in an industry where everything is produced in round lots in Asia doesn't help. I get the feeling that the time between the inventory alarm going off and new product entering distribution is three months even when everything goes as planned.

S.

More
05 Jan 2014 02:01 #169131 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Re: Imperial Aces
Well I still love X-Wing. I'm not sure how many new waves I will support, we'll see how that goes but the game is fucking amazing and I'm holding onto it forever (as of now). Those new ships look great and the pilot abilities are very cool. I have a hard time imagining playing Attack Wing as much, it's cool, but I just don't care about ST ship battles nearly as much... even if I do prefer the ST universe to SW. I need more Tie Interceptors anyway so these are perfect for me. I even bought the big ships, I'm really excited to get them actually, they look cool and I love the scenario idea's that pop into my mind when I see them.

If FFG wants my money moving forward their best bet is terrain and, most importantly, a scenario book like what ToI got. Not just a little thing on a card like in Attack Wing I want a huge book with detail, cool pics, write ups and new rules or pilots specific to the scenario. That will get my money for sure.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DeletedUser

More
06 Jan 2014 08:52 #169190 by edulis
Replied by edulis on topic Re: Imperial Aces
A scenario book would indeed be awesome. I have a friend buying the big ships so I'll get to try them out, but right now I do not plan to buy them. I will pick up imperial aces, that guy who can K-turn 1-3-5, pretty neat.

I doubt there will be a rebel ace pack- seems like the transport and all its special pilots (Porkins, et. al.) will cover that.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.368 seconds