October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

D&D: Attack Wing

More
07 Feb 2014 15:57 - 07 Feb 2014 16:06 #171482 by VonTush
D&D: Attack Wing was created by VonTush
So, there is scant info and no official announcement, but it looks like WizKids is doing a Flying Dragon game that is similar to Attack Wing using the Flight Path system, starter set and expansion packages. Here's the link from reddit with some, very little, info.

EDIT: And what I realize upon reflection of this announcement is that I don't need another Flight Path game, but on the other hand what I need is another Flight Path game. This has some potential. Personally I'm a little surprised at how aggressive WizKids has been with the license. They're running circles around XWing right now.
Last edit: 07 Feb 2014 16:06 by VonTush.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Feb 2014 16:47 #171490 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Re: D&D: Attack Wing
Man, I dunno. For my dragon fix, I have Skyrim.

More
07 Feb 2014 17:01 #171494 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re: D&D: Attack Wing
This is actually kind of a really cool idea...I don't know if I'd want to invest in another Flight Path title unless it was REALLY different, but this has the potential to be REALLY different. There's a lot of potential here for different breath weapons, riders, melee, etc.

I just got a press release from WK announcing their partnership with D&D for miniatures (kind of weird), this must be a part of their arrangement.

Maybe they'll carry on Dungeon Command...

More
07 Feb 2014 17:38 #171499 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Re: D&D: Attack Wing
DRAGONLANCE TIME

More
07 Feb 2014 17:45 #171500 by eekamouse
Replied by eekamouse on topic Re: D&D: Attack Wing

Gary Sax wrote: DRAGONLANCE TIME

Exactly! I recently got out of X-Wing because I was to the point where I was collecting and not playing. But, Dragonlance is one my favorite board games from childhood. If they implement something along that line with a focus on multiplayer over two-player... and of course more of a minis format over a "board game with hexes", it could be awesome.

They already have Captains etc... with Star Trek. There was a bit of that idea in the DL boardgame, along with special action cards and special items... Could be fun.

Image for reference:

More
07 Feb 2014 17:53 #171501 by Gary Sax
Different types of dragons, Good/evil sides. Different ages of dragons. Different lances/swords for riders. Different riders/types of riders. Non-dragon flying creatures and dwarven/gnome machines.

Has there ever been a system that hung around for like 20 years and sold moderately and then suddenly just BLEW UP with high selling variants? I guess Risk or Monopoly? It's so odd that FFG et al finally got around to copying Wings of Glory.

More
07 Feb 2014 17:58 #171504 by eekamouse
Replied by eekamouse on topic Re: D&D: Attack Wing
Here's some quotes ripped from the AMA.

Our Attack Wing D&D game will be configured very much like our Star Trek: Attack Wing game, with a box set and stand alone visible figures.

Our initial release will support the first D&D storyline arc from Wizards of the Coast. We haven't started development on the second set yet.

Unfortunately, we can't give more detail than to say that it will have a similar product configuration to our Star Trek: Attack Wing game. We'll be revealing a bunch of information about our D&D Attack Wing game at the GAMA trade show in Las Vegas this March. Stay Tuned!

Think of Gen Con as the coming out party for our D&D line. So there are a lot of great things planned around D&D for Gen Con. We haven't finalized our plans yet though. Stay tuned!

No direct quote for this one but in summary: "It will be based on Tyranny of Dragons, at least to start."
The following user(s) said Thank You: VonTush

More
07 Feb 2014 20:31 #171514 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic Re: D&D: Attack Wing
Really cool idea. I'm definitely sticking to Star Trek, but I certainly dig the concept. Matt Loter, hit it rich, buddy.

More
07 Feb 2014 22:01 #171518 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Re: D&D: Attack Wing
Sixth minis game based on the same system. Methinks the music is due to stop soon.

S.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, OldHippy, Bull Nakano

More
08 Feb 2014 10:37 #171537 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Re: D&D: Attack Wing

Sagrilarus wrote: Sixth minis game based on the same system. Methinks the music is due to stop soon.

S.

No way man, they made tons of different music video games using plastic guitars, and those are still going str....

Oh, shit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wadenels

More
08 Feb 2014 11:34 #171540 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re: D&D: Attack Wing
Hundreds of miniatures games out there that use rulers and dice, it has to stop somewhere!

SOUND THE DEATH KNELL

More
08 Feb 2014 11:46 - 08 Feb 2014 11:47 #171542 by Gary Sax
LOL at Ken...
Last edit: 08 Feb 2014 11:47 by Gary Sax.

More
08 Feb 2014 13:49 #171550 by VonTush
Replied by VonTush on topic Re: D&D: Attack Wing
Games Workshop managed to get Warhammer, 40k, Gorkamorka, Necromunda and Mordheim out of pretty much the same rules set. Then I'm not sure how to count Warhammer and its 8 editions or 40k with its 6 editions...All variations on the same theme.

So that is arguably 17 different games all variations on the same theme. Five if you don't buy into Different Editions = Different Games argument.

Maybe this might be sexist or un-pc, but I haven't seen many females playing XWing or Attack Wing and I do think that Dragons would have a wider general appeal.

More
08 Feb 2014 14:06 #171551 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Re: D&D: Attack Wing

VonTush wrote: Games Workshop managed to get Warhammer, 40k, Gorkamorka, Necromunda and Mordheim out of pretty much the same rules set. Then I'm not sure how to count Warhammer and its 8 editions or 40k with its 6 editions...All variations on the same theme.

Right. And that doesn't even include Battlefleet Gothic, the three versions of Epic, and Warmaster; all of which maintained the same d6 based combat rules and tape measure-based movement. Hell, look at the Columbia block games. They're still churning them out with minor variations and people seem to keep buying them.

It's true that it's getting to be an aesthetic issue more than a mechanical one. But unlike the CCG explosion of the early 90s, no one is trying to do Flight Path "better". They're just adapting different popular themes to it. I agree with VonTush. There's an untapped audience for fantasy that wouldn't spend two seconds looking at a space combat game but might like the idea of Dragonriders of Pern on the table or whatever.

More
08 Feb 2014 15:06 #171554 by MattFantastic
Replied by MattFantastic on topic Re: D&D: Attack Wing

Josh Look wrote: Matt Loter, hit it rich, buddy.

Haha, it's true! I'm going balls deep on this one!!!!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.628 seconds