October 09, 2023
2292 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

D&D: Attack Wing

More
13 Aug 2014 11:13 #184776 by fastbilly1
Replied by fastbilly1 on topic Re: D&D: Attack Wing

VonTush wrote: Maybe this might be sexist or un-pc, but I haven't seen many females playing XWing or Attack Wing and I do think that Dragons would have a wider general appeal.

X-wing is the favored game among my wife's friends. Though no one wants to buy any, just play with our models... But you are right Dragons are a bigger general appeal.

The rules you posted made me do a 180 on this title. I went from not caring at all to excited. By allowing a mix of aerial and ground units aswell as a campaign system, this has a chance of knocking X-wing off the table in my house.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Aug 2014 11:28 #184777 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Re: D&D: Attack Wing
The ground units part is certainly interesting... the rules are long so I didn't read too much about how they are handled. Do they move and act like normal units? Suddenly this starts to become more of a general D+D armies module?

More
13 Aug 2014 13:01 #184788 by VonTush
Replied by VonTush on topic Re: D&D: Attack Wing
I haven't read them yet, but at a glance what I saw for formations is that you have a "Point Unit" which has to be in the front line and units have to cluster around that.

My guess are things move off of that "Point Unit" and then get rearranged from there. So that way you can do a little formation changing along the way.

More
13 Aug 2014 15:34 #184791 by VonTush
Following up on the troops thing, the Point Unit is what moves and actions are triggered off of that unit. Then the regiment forms around that PU. The way multiple models form a unit are like the fighter resource from Star Trek. Tokens stack up on the card, the more models the more tokens which alter the units stats. As the unit takes damage tokens are removed adjusting the unit's attack and stuff like that. It's a pretty neat little system.

The XP that you can gain are used to purchase additional upgrade slots for your units/dragons or spent on additional build points.

Flying units have two movement dials, one for flying and one for ground movement.

Armor is pretty awesome in that it negates hits (not crits though), but doesn't disappear like shields in XWing or AW. It can become shattered though where you flip the token over and ignore it until repaired.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
14 Aug 2014 21:57 #184867 by VonTush
The BGG livestream replay on the homepage has an interview with Scott from WizKids going over the starter set of D&D:AW starting around the 1:23:00 mark. The starter box looks to be about 5" deep. The dragons look great. Design looks utilitarian. But a nice overview of the features. There are some mic issues that go on for a few minutes in the middle. The no pre-measuring combined with area attacks that can damage your opponents is going to be interesting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
14 Aug 2014 22:06 - 14 Aug 2014 22:27 #184869 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Re: D&D: Attack Wing
Thanks, I'll check that out.

Edit:

Jesus, BGG finally improved their host, the lady doing this doesn't make me uncomfortable the whole time.

I think you're slightly understating, the dragons look amazing. Those paint jobs look great too---could be just for the early kit though. WAY better than Wizkids prepaints I've seen, I think FFG really shamed them into doing a better job with X-wing.

I was 0% interested but seeing them via video and hearing about ground troop stuff really has me listening. I don't think it's a day one, but it's one of those things I may buy off Barnes when he tires of them. I do still think Wizkids has something to prove in terms of putting out as slick a product as FFG.

It's a beautiful time to be a geek child. It like literally would not have computed that something this awesome existed during my dragonlance book years in middle school.
Last edit: 14 Aug 2014 22:27 by Gary Sax.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds