October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Song of Blades and Heroes

More
20 Dec 2012 14:14 - 20 Dec 2012 14:14 #139946 by evilgit
If you can live with the smaller groups (15 is fine) then I'd say get it. It's loads of fun to play and there are some decisions to be made during play. Not as much as a real boardgame but more than most minis games.
I know there are people playing with more figs, on the order of 30 but I'm not sure how they are doing it as it doesn't interest me.
I started up a blog when I first got the game and gave a pictorial walk through of my first two games. And then promptly gave up blogging.
Orc Attack
Last edit: 20 Dec 2012 14:14 by evilgit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stormcow

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Dec 2012 15:56 #139950 by SuperflyPete
15 and 20mm is SO MUCH CHEAPER to get into than 28mm, and the scale just looks better on a table, IMHO.

Good painting, Evil!

More
20 Dec 2012 16:42 #139954 by Stephen Avery
Nice blog. I'm kinda interested in the game but it looks like a lot of stalling out and hoping the figs actually do what you're planning. I'd like something a bit more cinematic perhaps.

Steve"picky"Aver

More
20 Dec 2012 17:29 #139958 by evilgit

Stephen Avery wrote: Nice blog. I'm kinda interested in the game but it looks like a lot of stalling out and hoping the figs actually do what you're planning. I'd like something a bit more cinematic perhaps.

Steve"picky"Aver

It can be but I see that as a selling point. I've played enough minis games where you have an omnipotent view of the battle field and solider do exactly what you want. There is no drama there.
SoBH has drama, tense moments, cheers of jubilation and screams of frustration.
If you don't like risk management then it's not the game for you.

More
21 Dec 2012 00:32 #140003 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic Re: Song of Blades and Heroes
I think tabletop wargaming is starting to take bits from boardgames and wargames. Look at the latest "hot" rules. Bolt Action uses dice pull (similar to chit pull) for activation. SAGA uses dice allocation on a board to trigger skills. Too Fat Lardies rules (e.g Dux Britanniarum) have been known to use card activation not unlike Commands and Colors.

SuperflyTNT wrote: 15 and 20mm is SO MUCH CHEAPER to get into than 28mm, and the scale just looks better on a table, IMHO.

Agreed! 15mm stuff are a whole lot cheaper, there's bunch of miniature choices (you've got to see the awesome that is demonworld 15mm miniatures!!!) and they are fast to paint, so long as you don't use the methods for 28mm. I have a small number of 15mm for post apocalyptic gaming.

Me? I've gone as low as 10mm for fantasy mass game (HOTT).

dl.dropbox.com/u/34559052/hotthumanfinisharmy.jpg

And interested in going to 3mm for combined modern arms modern combat!

Nice blog. I'm kinda interested in the game but it looks like a lot of stalling out and hoping the figs actually do what you're planning. I'd like something a bit more cinematic perhaps.

The most cinematic rules that I've ever read are the rules from the Two Hour Wargames. Unfortunately, not only they're difficult to wrap around your hand, even with the massive improvement in the rules writing lately, you have to fill in the gaps on your own quite a bit. It's very different from other rules, that it deals more with how different types of character react in combat, not on the multitude of gears, weapons, armors, and special rules.

Usually miniature rules are you move, and you shoot. Or probably move twice or shoot twice. Not in THW rules. You move, you see opponents. Figures shoot, some faster than the others, but not always. Some figures lay dead. Some run to cover. Some stays. As long as hostile figures are within LOS of each other, they keep shooting (or may be they duck back next turn... who knows?). Groups get separated. Really fun.

More
24 Sep 2013 20:48 #161782 by msears

luckyb0y wrote: I don't know about the original Song of Blades and Heroes, but these two are supposedly based on the same ruleset an both are super cool:

Songs of Our Ancestor

Deep Wars

Deep Wars has a great mini line, if you haven't seen it you should check it out! Lots of deep sea divers vs cthulhu monsters to be found there.

More
24 Sep 2013 21:35 #161787 by SuperflyPete
I saw deep wars and took some pics but forgot the name of the company so it didn't end up in my reporting from GenCon. Great board, though...wowsa. Awesome.

I play Blades/Heroes and use Ravenloft tiles for the Gold/Darkness Expansion. Good times. Can't wait until my wee Dwarven Forge terrain shows up. Holy shit is that going to be an eyefeast.

Incidentally, Bistro was the one who turned me onto this system and subsequently I played it and several variants (Mutants and Death Ray Guns) until I found something better for post-apoc, which was Wastelands 3: Total Meltdown. It's nearly the perfect game, and it's free. I found one better, but they haven't got their book done yet although I'm privy to the rules due to my "media big shot" status. LMAO Seriously, though, when the poster above me (msears) gets his partner to stop writing and start printing, it will be the best post-apoc system in existence.

More
24 Sep 2013 21:44 #161789 by msears

SuperflyTNT wrote: I saw deep wars and took some pics but forgot the name of the company so it didn't end up in my reporting from GenCon. Great board, though...wowsa. Awesome.

I play Blades/Heroes and use Ravenloft tiles for the Gold/Darkness Expansion. Good times. Can't wait until my wee Dwarven Forge terrain shows up. Holy shit is that going to be an eyefeast.

Incidentally, Bistro was the one who turned me onto this system and subsequently I played it and several variants (Mutants and Death Ray Guns) until I found something better for post-apoc, which was Wastelands 3: Total Meltdown. It's nearly the perfect game, and it's free. I found one better, but they haven't got their book done yet although I'm privy to the rules due to my "media big shot" status. LMAO Seriously, though, when the poster above me (msears) gets his partner to stop writing and start printing, it will be the best post-apoc system in existence.

You had as much of a shot at that as I did. I am ready to have that book out, believe you me. Thanks for the kind words though Petey.

More
24 Sep 2013 21:46 #161790 by SuperflyPete
Didn't you guys just launch a new box set in prep for the book release? I read it on Lead Adventures or something but I didn't click any links or anything.

I've been so damned busy. Ugh.

More
24 Sep 2013 21:52 #161793 by msears
Stitchers are out now yeah, with the Reclaimers greens finally in our hands in the next week or so... They had an epic customs delay compounded by needing conversions to be casted and are only about a year later than we expected ha ha.

But yeah Stitchies are out and ready to knock you out, drag you into the night, and harvest your organs.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.292 seconds