October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Favorite GW miniatures game?

More
20 Jan 2008 01:44 #1153 by metalface13
I don't think there's a more "Ameritrashy" miniatures game than anything put out by Games Workshop. Funny since they're British...

I know GW gets a lot of flak from serious miniatures players, but come on, what better portal into minis is there than GW? Granted it was my first and only foray into minis...but what's your favorite?

For me I liked the small scale games best where you could advance your team/gang/mob. So Blood Bowl ranks top on my list, followed by Necromunda. It doesn't get more ameritrashy than bash'em up football (ok maybe it's rugby?) in BB and gang violence like in Necromunda!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jan 2008 04:44 #1156 by jur
Replied by jur on topic Re:Favorite GW miniatures game?
There has never been much question about GW miniatures. In the days of Citadel, they were way ahead of the field. I loved the LotR range they did and the new plastics are said to be cutting edge as well.

´Serious´ miniature players (do you mean ´historical´?) may have a problem with the Warhammer rules (dicefest, cheesing) and the marketing side (lock in, high prices). Let's say that without the high quality of the mini's, they'd never gotten away with it.

More
20 Jan 2008 04:49 #1157 by jur
ps Some people think the regular GW mini ranges are a bit too much of a caricature (a reason why I prefer the LotR minis more), especially the Orcs

More
20 Jan 2008 16:38 #1169 by Mr Skeletor
I too liked the 'small scale' stuff. Mordenhelm (?) was rad, never played necromunda but it looked fantastic.

More
20 Jan 2008 22:35 #1177 by Pat
Replied by Pat on topic Re:Favorite GW miniatures game?
Epic Space Marine. I still have piles of those figs around. I could field every army except Eldar - I hate Elves. I had an army painted up for each of the chaos gods. I like the Tyranid forces also. Then the bastards changed the rules again and made many of the figurines, if not all of them obsolete. I will never spend another dime on GW minis.

More
21 Jan 2008 01:03 #1178 by Grungebob
Warhammer Quest. Fun fun game, and actually a real value for the money.

Necromunda. This game was an innovation through and through, if you ask me. There was the included 3D modular terrain, campaign play, great variety of expansions and support.

More
21 Jan 2008 01:40 #1179 by jur
Pat wrote:

Then the bastards changed the rules again and made many of the figurines, if not all of them obsolete. I will never spend another dime on GW minis.

I find this the strangest grievance against GW. Nobody forbids you playing Epic by the old rules. There's loads of free rules out there. Heck, you can even make your own rules.

The lock in that GW tries to achieve all depends on you not thinking for yourself. I've had loads of fun with the original plastic Space Marines, but never played 40K. Free your mind, man!

More
21 Jan 2008 05:28 - 21 Jan 2008 05:34 #1180 by SenorOcho
GW a good "entry" into minis games? Holy crap, have you seen their prices lately?

I think gasoline is the only thing that's had more inflation in the past 5 years.

Let's just not get started on the ridiculous bullshit with the rules, especially on the FAQs...
Q: What happens if you give the Honorifica Imperialis to an Ogryn sergeant?
A: Why would you want to do that?

Well, maybe because its one of the few models listed that can specifically take the fucking thing!
Last edit: 21 Jan 2008 05:34 by SenorOcho.

More
21 Jan 2008 10:28 #1189 by Druen Kree
As A recovering GW whore I have played and collected everything they made from 1989 to 2004.I have since cut almost all contact with said company ( I still do read White Dwarf...dont know why I just do).But of all the games they have made I will always have a soft spot for BloodBowl.Hell I still Play it (Its coming out for X-box 360 Yayyyy!!!)

More
21 Jan 2008 11:17 #1192 by Pat
Replied by Pat on topic Re:Favorite GW miniatures game?
Jur wrote:

Pat wrote:

Then the bastards changed the rules again and made many of the figurines, if not all of them obsolete. I will never spend another dime on GW minis.

I find this the strangest grievance against GW. Nobody forbids you playing Epic by the old rules. There's loads of free rules out there. Heck, you can even make your own rules.

The lock in that GW tries to achieve all depends on you not thinking for yourself. I've had loads of fun with the original plastic Space Marines, but never played 40K. Free your mind, man!

Oh I've played with the rules I own many times but I like a game that is supported. When the support dries up in favor of marketing a slightly newer version of the same model I just don't have much respect for that and lose all interest. It's not like they are improving anything.

More
21 Jan 2008 20:02 #1218 by metalface13
SenorOcho wrote:

GW a good "entry" into minis games? Holy crap, have you seen their prices lately?[/quote

I didn't say it's a "good" entry into mini games, but for a lot of people it was THE entry into minis games in the 90s. Now with the various collectible miniatures games, Privateer Press with Warmachine and Hordes, and Rackham with Confrontation and AT-43 there are lots of minis games to jump into the hobby with.

But when I was 13 and in 8th grade the only minis the local comic shops carried in any sort of quantity were GW games. And when you're 13, Space Orks and Tyranids look pretty damn awesome!

As pricey as GW games are, minis games in general are pretty expensive. My friend and I tried to get into 40K but couldn't really afford to build an army of anything beyond 500 points. So we stuck with the campaign games: Necromunda, Gorkamorka and Blood Bowl. Gorkamorka was kind of like necromunda were you built mobs of orks but they drove around in big trucks thrashing the crap out of each other. It was ok but not as good as Necromunda. Necromunda's 3D terrain was pretty awesome and the campaign rules were quite excellent.

But my favorite is Blood Bowl, I still play it from time to time on fumbbl.com where you can play a flash version for free.

More
22 Jan 2008 05:30 #1228 by SenorOcho
What the hell did you do to that poor post?

More
22 Jan 2008 11:53 #1237 by Druen Kree
His post has some weird form of Tourettes.

More
23 Jan 2008 00:53 #1282 by metalface13
heh. yeah I screwed up the quote coding something good.

More
23 Jan 2008 13:52 #1303 by Malloc
For me GW is at its best in the 40k universe. I could never get into fantasy. at all.

40k and BFG are my top GW games but epic is also fun.

-M

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.160 seconds