October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Favorite GW miniatures game?

More
23 Jan 2008 17:12 #1316 by jur
Replied by jur on topic Re:Favorite GW miniatures game?
Malloc wrote:

For me GW is at its best in the 40k universe. I could never get into fantasy. at all.

40K is Fantasy. Just like Star Wars.

Okay, so its space opera.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jan 2008 08:53 #1661 by Ken B.
Can we not all just band together, go over to GW headquarters, and demand a friggin' Space Hulk reprint?

More
30 Jan 2008 09:18 #1663 by Druen Kree
I second that!

More
31 Jan 2008 02:19 #1703 by PseudoIntellectual
My entry into miniatures was Gorka Morka (if anyone remembers that) and after it 40k. At the age of 10-11 what I liked most was the idea of Orcs (I had just gotten into Warcraft 1 and 2) with machine guns. After that my interest expanded to include fantasy, BFG, Mordheim (which I still particularly enjoy) and LotR (which I also like a lot).

Someone was mentioning GW-inflation, when I started 16 guys with metal parts was 22 dollars. Now ten all plastic guys = 22 dollars. Blegh. I'd still buy em cause they're so damn cool (and I have fun building, painting and playing with them) but the price!

More
01 Feb 2008 00:48 #1728 by metalface13
Yeah my friend and I bought Gorkamorka (we always split the costs on GW starter sets). It was alright but we never got into it as much as Necromunda.

More
01 Feb 2008 02:44 #1733 by Fellonmyhead
Pat wrote:
Oh I've played with the rules I own many times but I like a game that is supported. When the support dries up in favor of marketing a slightly newer version of the same model I just don't have much respect for that and lose all interest. It's not like they are improving anything.[/quote]

Epic was my preferred system also. It's not the changes in the rules that frustrated me; I could still use the old figures with the new rules. The problem for me was that the figures themselves changed; first the rather blocky Thunderhawk became something that resembled a drop ship - a good thing - but then when they went with the white metal they decreased the scale. That meant if I wanted more Thunderhawks I had to just grin and bear the fact I had them in two different shapes and three different sizes.

The latest set of rules are now available for download; from what I can gather they only sell Epic minis via mail order these days. I have enough of the old stuff not to be interested.

My biggest gripe with GW has always been (and always will be) what they did with White Dwarf magazine. Instead of informative articles, reviews and scenarios for various games it developed into a GW supplement that was a required purchase if you wanted to keep abreast of current rules changes.

More
24 Jul 2008 22:02 #9059 by Mr.Boilerplate
Gorkamorka by far, it had lots of character and interesting game modes. I particularly liked "Da Rollin Road" scenario. It was like some bizarre version of madmax, the trukks ramming each other and boys getting tossed off as you roared across blasted desert, a great time.

More
12 Aug 2008 13:38 #9892 by Almalik
What? No one is mentioning Warmaster? Tied with Blood Bowl as their greatest game. Honorable mentions go to Man O' War and Mordheim.

More
16 Aug 2008 01:36 #10177 by milgate
Well, I guess I'll go with one of the obvious choices: Space Hulk. I'm fortunate enough to have a copy of both 1st and 2nd edition Space Hulk, plus I have a couple of dozen metal Terminators and plastic Terminators from second- and third-edition WH40K, so I don't have to use the crappy original Terminators that came with the games. I also have a Tyranid army which allows me to toss the occasional Tyranid Warrior, Lictor or Hive Tyrant into the Hulk just to keep my Blood Angels on their toes (because, you know, Genestealers alone aren't enough of a challenge :-) ).

Warhammer Quest would be my second choice. I accumulated enough WH miniatures to use most of the monsters available in the WHQ roleplay book. I may swallow my pride and buy some more board tiles from The Sheriff and the Frog.

I have four Warhammer armies (High Elves, Orcs/Goblins, Dwarves and Skaven), but there's just something about the combat I just don't like. Maybe it's a D6 system just doesn't have a wide enough range of outcomes to show much differences between units and races. I'd like to see the combat system use D20's. I also have friends who agree with the earlier poster in that the Orcs are just too over-the-top. I would probably prefer Warmaster, from what I've read in White Dwarf, but I've never played it.

(Plus, the 6th-edition Skaven were just WAAAY unbalanced. I haven't made the transition to 7th edition (and they haven't released a seventh-edition Skaven book, yet, to my knowledge), and may not ever.)

More
21 Aug 2008 04:02 #10376 by billyz
Hands down BloodBowl.

And this is coming from a guy who loves Space Hulk.

Nothing tops a good Bloodbowl league.

More
26 Aug 2008 09:23 #10539 by Matt Thrower
I came into AT boardgaming largely through Warhammer.

My preferred game was Fantasy Battle. 40k may have changed a lot with the new edition - I'm not keeping up any more - but when I was playing it was a hands-down dicefest, whereas WFB actually seemed to required some tactics. Of course, building a good army in the first place was probably the biggest strategic point in both games.

One of the reasons I got out of WFB was army book creep. The Skaven book was just silly. And then the Lizardmen and Wood Elf books lead to identikit armies and sucked a lot of the fun out of the game. I knew my days were numbered when, in the last tournament I played in, four out of the six games were against near-identical Lizard armies.

I've got Vampire Counts and Empire armies - I kept both even though I don't really play anymore. The amount of painting required got me down as well - I'm a slow painter. That's another big reason I gave it up.

The board games with GW miniatures give me the chance to enjoy a game and keep the painting at a manageable level, so I really like them. Blood Bowl is good but it takes too long to get the most out of it, because that involves running a league (incidentally, the prospect of playing in a proper long-term league is what's making my mouth water about the soon-to-be-released PC and console version of Blood Bowl). Same is true of games like Mordheim .. you need to run a campaign to get the best out of the game. So I think my favourite has to be Space Hulk, especially once you've got Deathwing added in with the random mission generator and marine troop selection rules.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds