October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

X-wing Wave 5!

More
13 Jun 2014 11:25 - 13 Jun 2014 11:30 #180431 by lj1983
X-wing Wave 5! was created by lj1983
fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4869

2 more medium sized ships - the outrider!

3rd quarter 2014 seems quick for FFG.
Last edit: 13 Jun 2014 11:30 by lj1983.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jun 2014 11:35 #180433 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Re: X-wing Wave 5!
Outrider is my all-time favorite ship. While I have long since sold off my stocks of X-Wing, this I shall buy.

More
13 Jun 2014 11:49 #180436 by VonTush
Replied by VonTush on topic Re: X-wing Wave 5!
I wonder if the quickened pace has to do with Attack Wing.

What I'm really liking though is the different directions the games are taking. It seems like every new wave they differentiate themselves more and more.

More
13 Jun 2014 11:53 - 13 Jun 2014 12:16 #180438 by edulis
Replied by edulis on topic Re: X-wing Wave 5!
I am very curious about the debris, I hope they are not just a replacement for rocks, but actually appear when something gets blasted.

Yt-2400 can barrel roll! Sure we've seen expert handling on a firespray or falcon, but this is still petty cool and with a modification of engine this ship can really move. Add Dash ability to ignore obstacles... wow!

Oh and the title... nice.

Neverheard of the imperial ship. But as an imperial player, having a ship that can take 16 hits and have a turret... yes please. Expensive though, might mostly be used in epic play, depending on the movement dial. Anyone know the story of where this ship comes from... video games?
Last edit: 13 Jun 2014 12:16 by edulis. Reason: typos

More
13 Jun 2014 11:59 #180440 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re: X-wing Wave 5!
I think the Decimator is from Star Wars Galaxies. Totally did not expect to see that...I think it's supposed to be some kind of troop transport or something.

Outrider RULES. That is a great looking model. Love the new debris field tiles.

One of each, please.

More
13 Jun 2014 12:33 #180445 by edulis
Replied by edulis on topic Re: X-wing Wave 5!

SuperflyTNT wrote: Outrider is my all-time favorite ship. While I have long since sold off my stocks of X-Wing, this I shall buy.

So your just buying it for the minaiture, because if you want to pass along those cards and tokens, you know so they don't take up space, I'd be willing to help.

More
13 Jun 2014 13:07 #180449 by SuperflyPete
Done deal. If I buy it, the bits are yours.
The following user(s) said Thank You: edulis

More
13 Jun 2014 13:08 - 13 Jun 2014 13:09 #180450 by SuperflyPete

VonTush wrote: I wonder if the quickened pace has to do with Attack Wing.

Although I like the Star Wars aesthetic far better, Attack Wing is the better game, IMHO. I can never see myself going back to Star Wars.
Last edit: 13 Jun 2014 13:09 by SuperflyPete.

More
13 Jun 2014 13:31 #180451 by VonTush
I've gone back and forth...And as they diverge the better I think both games get.

Attack Wing has some great scenarios and fleet building for those scenarios is very compelling. Anticipating your opponent's build and having a defined goal that isn't always "kill your opponent" allows for some lists that just wouldn't appear in a "Bring 100 pts and try to kill each other" situation.

On the other hand XWing is the tighter game. As long as a list is competent build it should hold its own against any other list. It really highlights the player vs player aspect of the game. I also really like this relationship with the varying size ships.

It is interesting to watch and see how the meta-game changes as the new ships are released in Attack Wing. But there's a comfort in the consistency of XWing.

It is very, very interesting to see two different companies with two different philosophies and mindsets really take the same system in two very different directions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
13 Jun 2014 19:05 #180476 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Re: X-wing Wave 5!
They look fucking great, and debris is an awesome addition to the game. I hope there is a way to retro apply it because it should work for all the ships.

However I totally skipped wave 4 and will continue that trend. There is a slight chance that I will impulse buy some one day but for me the game is finished. Between three waves, flying aces and the two big ships I don't need anything else and in face have a huge and brilliant game to play.

If they want my money at this point, they'd have to sell a designer series book like they did for ToI and Descent. That would get me instantly.

More
13 Jun 2014 21:03 - 13 Jun 2014 21:04 #180482 by Stonecutter
Replied by Stonecutter on topic Re: X-wing Wave 5!

VonTush wrote: I wonder if the quickened pace has to do with Attack Wing.

What I'm really liking though is the different directions the games are taking. It seems like every new wave they differentiate themselves more and more.

I don't play competitively at all, but I do follow the meta and the theories and I really enjoy how each wave has introduced 2 or 3 new competitive builds and those builds have remained competitive even as the new ships have come out.

Wave 1 had the Tie Swarm, which is probably still the most popular imperial build, and the 4 X Wing build, as well as some 2 X/2Y builds which are still used occasionally.

Wave 2 had the Tie Interceptor swarm or the Tie Interceptor/Tie Fighter swarm, the Slave I which is still a centerpiece unit for the Navy, and the Falcon, which is a centerpiece of tons of Rebel lists.

Wave 3 had the B wing which really changed the way Rebels play and gave them some amazing maneuverability. The Lambda and Bomber are going to get REALLY interesting once more people dig into the huge ships.

Wave 4 is going to give the rebels their swarm and I can't wait to see what people do with the Phantoms. I can't quite figure out how E wings and Defenders fit in yet but I'm sure people will find cool stuff to do with them. Also just wait till the empire gets their huge ships. The headhunters ability to carry cluster missiles and slap them on a bandit for just 16 points is going to make them hugely popular, I think.

Now that the empire is finally getting their answer to the Falcon I think we're going to see a ton of new strategies open up across all the waves.

Outrider is a dream come true, now if I can just get IG-2000 with a primary weapon ion cannon......
Last edit: 13 Jun 2014 21:04 by Stonecutter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: VonTush

More
14 Jun 2014 00:55 #180500 by VonTush
That's one thing I wish I could say about Attack Wing...The Klingons and Romulans started strong but newer releases are the smaller more situational ships, now I rarely see those. Dominion have gotten stronger and stronger where in the beginning they were largely unrepresented. Feds have been steady but their bag of tricks have just grown. Then the Borg have set a new bar.

The shifts in meta have been interesting to watch, but there is a need to keep up to stay competitive.

More
02 Jul 2014 12:44 #181502 by fastbilly1
Replied by fastbilly1 on topic Re: X-wing Wave 5!

Stonecutter wrote: Outrider is a dream come true, now if I can just get IG-2000 with a primary weapon ion cannon......

IG-2000 and the Mist Hunter would make me very happy. Though I still dont have Tie Interceptors and A-wings. We just have not played enough X-wing recently to justify buying more minis.

More
02 Jul 2014 13:07 - 02 Jul 2014 13:46 #181504 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Re: X-wing Wave 5!
One of the greatest elements of X-Wing is how they react to the meta and attempt to gently steer it. They fix things which aren't working very well but they do so in an unobtrusive and seemingly natural way. It's comforting and builds confidence and has me anticipating future releases.
Last edit: 02 Jul 2014 13:46 by charlest.

More
03 Jul 2014 09:17 #181539 by Stonecutter
Replied by Stonecutter on topic Re: X-wing Wave 5!

charlest wrote: One of the greatest elements of X-Wing is how they react to the meta and attempt to gently steer it. They fix things which aren't working very well but they do so in an unobtrusive and seemingly natural way. It's comforting and builds confidence and has me anticipating future releases.

Agreed. I fully expect a Tie Advanced fix either in another aces package or as part of an Imperial Huge Ship like the X-wing that was packed in with the Rebel transport, because the Advance is the one ship no one has been able to find much of a use for, outside of Vader.

I didn't get it at the time, but I now see that the E wing and and the Defender are both attempts at cutting down on the Tie Swarm. The unique E wing's abliity to fire twice will probably put a dent in the swarm, it'll also mean less Falcons, which means less swarms, and the Defender gives the Navy it's first real option aside from the Slave and top end interceptors in a 3 or 4 ship squad.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.207 seconds