October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Let's Talk Blood Bowl / Elfball / Dreadball / Etc.

More
25 Aug 2014 09:52 #185851 by wadenels
I did find the latest (I think) BB rules, hopefully I'll have time to read through it soon.

Impact Miniatures has paper standees for a bunch of teams I ordered as well. I don't think I want to sink a bunch of money into proper minis yet. I would think I could use the paper teams in just about any fantasy football style game, as they aren't very large. Just not as pretty.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Aug 2014 09:24 - 26 Aug 2014 18:22 #185927 by drewcula
Great thread!
Fantasy sports may be my favorite board game genre. I own, and play, a lot.
1) Blood Bowl
2) Dungeon Bowl
3) Dreadball
4) Grind
5) Battleball
6) Kaosball
7) Dreadball Xtreme
8) Ultimate Dreadball
9) Blood Bowl: Team Manager
10) Magical Athlete

1) Blood Bowl is the first sports title I cut my teeth on. My second edition was bought at 1993's COScon outside of Pittsburgh, PA. I played the crap out of it during my freshman year at college, and in the summer after; I sold it off to upgrade to the third edition, plus a copy of Dungeonbowl and Deadzone. I played my first 4 man league in the summer of 1994, and am proud to say I won with the Wood Elves. Much much love for what is seemingly, the father of fantasy sports titles (I know there's another game or two that proceeded BB). Playing a bunch of "one off" games with the second edition was fun and mind blowing for a college kid that only played Heroquest/RIsk/Dungeon! and countless RPGs. But the third edition (and subsequent LRB) really make the game shine. League play is essential to get the most out of it. Its progressive nature really tapped into my experience and appreciation for RPG campaigning, and the great sculpts kept my fancy for cool toys alive. As others have mentioned, the rules are DEEP and there's a lot of reference checking. However, it works on it's own logic and once everyone is up to speed - a game can happen in 2 hours. ESPECIALLY when playing with the sand timer. My old school buddies and I loved screaming 'ILLEGAL PROCEDURE!!!' when one of us broke a rule. Turn over mate.

2) Dungeon Bowl was a fine, fine variant to the Blood bowl formula. Released during the 2nd edition of BB, it's components aren't nearly as polished as the 3rd edition - but it's charming as far as thin chipboard is concerned. Far more random and chaotic. I haven't played it nearly as much as the other titles, but if someone wants to come over to my house - I'll break it out. Amongst all of the dreams of GW re-releasing another edition of Blood Bowl, I actually think re-releasing Dungeon Bowl as a stand alone game with four complete teams (i.e. schools of magic (?)) would make perfect sense.

3) Dreadball is King Cocaine for the 21st century sports board/miniature game. I don't post on Fortress all that much, but when I do - it's usually singing the praises of Dreadball. Mantic has it's problems, I'm no apologist for them. But after all of my criticism of them and their Kickstarters, they have still made one hell of a game system. Others have already pegged Dreadball pretty well/accurately in this thread. I'll just say that as a old timey Blood Bowl fan, Dreadball was an easier "sell" to my gaming group. We'd start tabula rasa with a new game, and go from there. Since the stuff delivered in Q4 of 2012, we've played little else (a few games of Chaos in the Old World, Spartacus, Coup, Eclipse, and Wiz-War). We're already on season three, and we're looking forward to season 4 where we'll be picking each other's team (i.e. the worst teams out of the current 12). My six man league shared costs, and the joint ownership of everything Mantic has produced for the line is pretty staggering. To reiterate some thoughts from others (plus a few of my own) that make Dreadball work for us: 1] it's fast, 60 minutes a game 2] it's progressive (league play, obviously) 3] it's offensively driven 4] it's supported by the manufacturer.

4) Grind... I want to like this game very much, but I just can't get there. Maybe I need to play it more. The toy factor is very high, and as a hobbyist - I think I keep it around so that one day I can mount magnets into the arm sockets and paint this sucker up. The miniatures are nicely detailed albeit with a soft(er) plastic. From what I remember (someone please correct me if I'm wrong); the rules are deep, the dice pools are large, and the game moves at a sluggish pace for a pitch that only holds a ten players (5 v 5). Still, Privateer Press did release some league play rules and a four player variant. Because I clearly have some sort of illness, I keep my eyes open for another internet sale so I can pick up a second copy for less than 20 bucks.

5) Battleball is a charming 'Bloodbowl Lite' title from Hasbro/MB. The same sculptor who cranked out a lot of the early Heroscape minis made the teams for Battleball, and conversions are easy. Easy if you can grab a second copy. You'll want to keep the first copy to play the game. If it's too light, Mr Bistro made some advanced rules that are pretty fun.

6) I went whole hog with Kaosball after my gaming group had so much fun with Eric Lang's Chaos in the Old World. It was like catnip for me: sports title, good designer, pop culture satire with the teams/MVPs, high toy factor... I got my crate of goods a few months ago, and I've only played two games. I guess my mind is stuck on the Dreadball express lane, 'cause I can't pull over for Kaosball. I think my primary reservations have already been mentioned; it's less a goal driven football/soccer/basketball/hockey game as it is a area control game. I do like the card mechanic. I need to spend more time with it. Again, if anyone wants to come over to DC - we can play with my copy.

7) As Mantic seems to model its business by aping everything Games Workshop has produced, so it goes with Dreadball Xtreme. To me, this seems to be the Mantic response to Dungeon Bowl, as Dreadball is to Blood Bowl. But Jesus H. Christ is you mention this to anyone on the Mantic boards. Apparently, I'm a grade A ass clown for thinking this way. It's not a complaint from my end as much as an observation - but whatever. My Dreadball League went whole hog into this Kickstarter as well (with one or two expressing concern). I can't imagine Xtreme will replace our "normal" Dreadball games, but we are expecting to receive another twelve teams that will be compatible between both games.

8) Dreadball Ultimate is just a big, multiplayer game of Dreadball. It's occasionally fun to experiment with, but I can't imagine anyone in their right mind wanting to play this regularly. Regarding my league; we play Ultimate once as a post season "all star" match. Six of us playing with our experienced teams takes three hours.

9) Blood Bowl Team Manager is a card game. To this day, I have a hard time making the mental adjustment that I'm playing a sports title with cards instead of miniatures. To that end, I'd always rather play a game of Blood Bowl or Dreadball before a game of BBTM. On the other hand, I'd rather play BBTM than Dreadball Ultimate. So there you go. BBTM is fun, the team options are getting better and better, and unlike GW, FFG is supporting it. Because it's FFG, you get a table filled with obligatory piles of chits/tokens that drive my OCD through the fucking roof. I wish to hell this game played in less than an hour with four players, because it would see a lot more action.

10) Michael Barnes recommending Magical Athlete, and it was the last thing I purchased through Tanga. I had my reservations even after punching the athletes and sleeving the cards, but damn was I wrong. This game is great. The drafting is fun, the races are fun, the characters are fun, the price is "fun" (because it was less than 15 bucks), and it sees a lot of action with my "non-gamer" friends. They request it more than anything else, and I'm happy to oblige. The components are almost comically incompetent, but I suppose that gives it some sort of weirdo charm.

That's all I got.
Last edit: 26 Aug 2014 18:22 by drewcula. Reason: credited the wrong dude

More
26 Aug 2014 09:33 #185928 by Sevej
You got a lot there mate.

More
26 Aug 2014 13:38 #185933 by Bull Nakano
if you're looking for the BB competition rules, you can find them here:
www.thenaf.net/blood-bowl/rules/

More
26 Aug 2014 15:59 #185934 by wadenels

drewcula wrote: 5) Battleball is a charming 'Bloodbowl Lite' title from Hasbro/MB. The same sculptor who cranked out a lot of the early Heroscape minis made the teams for Battleball, and conversions are easy. Easy if you can grab a second copy. You'll want to keep the first copy to play the game. If it's too light, Grungebob (?) made some advanced rules that are pretty fun.

I think the advanced rules you're referencing are Mr Bistro's , and they're a really nice addition to the game. Gives it more of an American Football feel and makes it feel more like you're constructing plays than just moving a guy. Definitely recommended.
The following user(s) said Thank You: drewcula

More
26 Aug 2014 16:36 #185935 by hotseatgames
I definitely want to get my hands on a copy of Battleball.

More
26 Aug 2014 18:52 #185941 by metalface13
Thanks Drewcula for the extensive write ups. I may have to check out Dreadball some day.

More
27 Aug 2014 22:21 #186027 by wadenels
Read the Blood Bowl rules. Way more rules dense than Elfball is, but it does look fun. Played Elfball again and had a blast. The rules sort of melted into the background having played it previously. While I can't compare it to the other games of the style the way drewcula did, Elfball is worth checking out. Being able to get a bunch of paper teams for half the price of a proper minis team make it attractive as well. I'd like to dig into league play and player skills but I don't think it has a big enough player base to do it locally.

More
28 Aug 2014 09:32 #186048 by drewcula
In what I suppose should be no surprise to anyone* - miniature market's daily sale is a deeply discounted copy of Kaosball.

www.miniaturemarket.com/cmnkb001.html

While I haven't played the game much, I can recognize that this price is pretty awesome for a big box of miniatures and a fairly unique take on the sports genre.

* As in, I haven't seen one miniature-heavy Kickstarter game not make it the online retailers' daily sale slot.

More
08 Sep 2014 12:12 #186673 by Almalik

I just ran into the same issue when I found out they had put out some additional PDF material for Dreadfleet and now I can't find it or get it anywhere.

Hey Wadenels, if are talking about the Beyond the Maelstrom 2 page pdf for Dreadfleet (I think that's the only digital supplement they released) and haven't tracked it down yet send me a trashmail, it's nothing too exciting though).

Nothing much to add to this topic that hasn't already been stated other than a quick mention of Scrumbrawl. Quick and super chaotic - more Wiz-war than Blood Bowl - trying to pass/run orbs into portals.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.160 seconds