October 09, 2023
2450 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2651 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Let's Talk Miniature Skirmish Games

More
28 Dec 2014 14:27 #193434 by metalface13
Also Jeff, you might have me interested in a Warmaster/Mighty Empires campaign.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Dec 2014 14:41 #193435 by charlest
My favorite two skirmish games are Havoc: tactical miniature warfare by Brent Spivey, and the aforementioned Saga. Saga is kind of a skirmish plus sized game (20-35 figures per side) but it's not full army sized.

Havoc (not to be confused with Cry Havoc) is the most interesting skirmish game I've played. It's an indie release and it handles about 12-25 figures. It doesn't care what minis or setting you use (as long as it's medieval/fantasy) but it packs a ton of flavor into the way the different units work. The Giant has an ability called Teeing-Off where he can club a miniature and send it flying. If the miniature collides with other minis in its path it does damage to them.

I love the activation system, the combat is interesting, and there are tons of unit options. It's just astoundingly good and very interesting. PDF is pretty cheap but Amazon has a physical book.

More
28 Dec 2014 16:19 #193438 by Colorcrayons
Nothing about a song of blades and heroes yet?

Solid generic rule set that you can use any miniatures with. Your imagination is your only constraint.

Mostly for fantasy, but they do make a more tech version, as well as gothic horror too.

Can be played freeform, or on squares/hexes, so gives more use for heroscape terrain. Simple and fast.

More
28 Dec 2014 16:58 #193440 by Sevej
Try this, not sure if this makes it to the final rules:

quirkworthy.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/...ign-rules-public.pdf

Also, this.

quirkworthy.com/2013/09/23/deadzone-campaigns-again/

Another game you want to check is Dux Britanniarum, which is campaign based.

More
28 Dec 2014 22:07 #193448 by drewcula
While there has been mention of Deadzone, I'll toss Deadzone's little brother into the mix; Mars Attacks. Released two months ago, it's Mantic's "Deadzone-lite." I opted for this title because I'm a fan of the IP. It's fast, deadly, and pretty light hearted (as in, the black humor of Martians exploding or making explosions & cows on fire.)

More
28 Dec 2014 22:24 #193449 by charlest

Colorcrayons wrote: Nothing about a song of blades and heroes yet?

Solid generic rule set that you can use any miniatures with. Your imagination is your only constraint.

Mostly for fantasy, but they do make a more tech version, as well as gothic horror too.

Can be played freeform, or on squares/hexes, so gives more use for heroscape terrain. Simple and fast.

I played a couple games of it and wasn't impressed. Sure it was simple and fast but it wasn't clever. Nothing really grabbed and my play felt as generic as the force lists.

More
28 Dec 2014 23:44 #193450 by VonTush

metalface13 wrote: Also Jeff, you might have me interested in a Warmaster/Mighty Empires campaign.

If I were single (and 10 years younger) I'd move down to TX to take part of that.
New Mighty Empires? Or old version?

More
29 Dec 2014 00:28 #193451 by metalface13

VonTush wrote:

metalface13 wrote: Also Jeff, you might have me interested in a Warmaster/Mighty Empires campaign.

If I were single (and 10 years younger) I'd move down to TX to take part of that.
New Mighty Empires? Or old version?

I dunno, I've never played either.

More
29 Dec 2014 01:09 #193454 by metalface13
And apparently there are lots of 10mm fantasy minis manufacturers to build out the bulk of your army rather than pay eBay prices ...

More
29 Dec 2014 01:43 #193456 by Sevej
Actually I own three 10mm fantasy armies. But my system of choice is Hordes of the Things. Much smaller armies and playing space. Also I love the DIY army building system and the simple pip-based system that illustrates command decay.

I like SoBH but didn't mention it due to it being basically just approach and attack each other. The main game is deciding how much action you want to play. Fun, but very light.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur

More
29 Dec 2014 05:22 - 29 Dec 2014 05:27 #193461 by jur
I love HotT. In numbers of miniatures and space requirement it is really accessible, and the rules allow for a lot of flavour.

This guy has made some awesome HotT armies

I was blown away by his aboriginal Horrors of the Dreamtime army, just to think it through and execute it!

and have a look at skirmishwargaming.com for inspiration
Last edit: 29 Dec 2014 05:27 by jur.

More
29 Dec 2014 08:14 #193466 by DrMurko
Why not Good Ol' Heroscape?
- Prepainted minis
- Prepainted scenery
- Still supported with new customs
- Overall cheaper than GW
- Simple ruleset

More
29 Dec 2014 15:28 #193518 by edulis
Damn it- now I want to bust out the Necromunda stuff, it has always been my favorite skirmish game. I tried the cowboy GW historical one a few times.

Havoc looks pretty neat, I just took a look at the amazon preview (table of contents and appendix only). What sort of dice does it use? d10s or D6s?

More
29 Dec 2014 15:46 #193519 by charlest

edulis wrote: Damn it- now I want to bust out the Necromunda stuff, it has always been my favorite skirmish game. I tried the cowboy GW historical one a few times.

Havoc looks pretty neat, I just took a look at the amazon preview (table of contents and appendix only). What sort of dice does it use? d10s or D6s?

It's D6's. Small dice pools of them.

More
30 Dec 2014 01:46 #193560 by Brewmiester
Dystopian Legions 2 came out a few months ago. The two player starter box has the rules, some French troops, some Antarticans, and a pretty nice outpost terrain piece.

Da Bid Dabid mentioned Fist Full of Kung Fu. Osprey has a number of other rule sets including In Her
Majesty's Name and a couple of supplements (world wide steampunk) and Lion Rampant! (which I have on order but it hasn't made it in yet). LR! sounds like it might be a good fit for your GW figs. They have a number of historical armiy lists and some fantasy examples as well. Oh Osprey also did Ronin for your far eastern fighting pleasure.

One of our favorites around here have been Wild West games. I'm partial to the Rules With No Name but we most recently played the Warhammer Historical Wild West game and it was fun too. I always thought Gunslinger with figs would be fun as well.

DBA 3.0 also came out recently. Not really skirmish but a pretty low figure count for most armies. A buddy of mine has redone the HOTT rules using 3.0 as the base and has come up with a Game of Thrones campaign as well.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds