October 09, 2023
2511 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2710 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Let's Talk Gorkamorka

More
25 Jan 2015 13:41 - 25 Jan 2015 13:41 #196053 by Mr. White
So, Dark Future is back on my radar in a big way.

However, I've got a buddy that already has Gorkamorka (that he's never played)...which is one of the few GW titles I've never modeled up or played. Is it any good? Should I explore that over buying into Dark Future? I'm sure he'll let me borrow it so I can learn the game and drum up potential interest.
Last edit: 25 Jan 2015 13:41 by Mr. White.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jan 2015 14:13 #196058 by Colorcrayons
Gorka is a great game. Very fun gang skirmish game and doesn't take itself too seriously.

What's the carry capacity of a wartrukk? I dunno, how many orks can you fit in it?
Orks fall out while you are moving it? Looks like a casualty occurred.
Painting stuff red really does make things go fasta.
Etc.

I'm not sure about digganob expansion. Was always a pricey option to play the diggas since they were all metals. Back then they were popular, but not sure if because they were being used for other games like necromunda or not.

More
25 Jan 2015 18:06 #196069 by metalface13
Jeff, I think our brains are on the same wavelength. For some inexplicable reason last night I started thinking about Gorkamorka while taking the dog for a walk. Now, it's all I've been looking up. Reading through rules, looking at model conversions, etc.

My buddy and I played this back when it first came out. Never played Dark Future so I can't compare the two. Gorkamorka uses more specialized vehicle rules than 40K. There's rules for tailing and drifting and stuff. From my experience it's all about ramming trucks into each other as there are lots of penalties for trying to shoot while moving around at high speeds. And honestly, at the time I really didn't have the hang of the driving rules and my buddy consistently destroyed me.

There are not as many factions as Necromunda or Mordheim. The base game has two factions of Orks that are basically identical. The Digganob expansion has three more mobs. I'd be open to giving it another shot, always that question of free time ...

More
25 Jan 2015 20:26 #196080 by DukeofChutney
never played it, despite having an Ork40k army at one point. Some of the GW people i know considered it the best game from the company. I'd definitely recommend checking it out based on its rep. Like Crayons says it wasn't very serious and it was very ameritrash in its attitude which imo is what you want from a minis game.

More
26 Jan 2015 07:15 #196106 by JEM
Replied by JEM on topic Re: Let's Talk Gorkamorka
I loved Gorkamorka so much I bought two of it. Digganob is a waste of time/money though unless there's some super bargain way to get it. It brought skirmishing back to WH40K for me, and the XP/campaign system was tons of fun. Roll to see which of your boyz has to get a bionic arm after injuries, etc. The bases were a PITA so I did use regular circle ones.

More
26 Jan 2015 08:25 #196116 by edulis
Replied by edulis on topic Re: Let's Talk Gorkamorka
I was a big 2nd edition ork player and own a ton of Gorkamorka stuff... I like the rebel grots from digganob. However, I always liked Necromunda better, the amount of dice rolling when shooting at truks got old. Roll to hit- roll location- roll to penetrate Armour- roll for damage result.

The modeling of the trucks and the ability to customize them was a good time...

Me and a buddy did a few Necromunda/ Gorkamorka mash-ups. Were the orks penetrated the spire from the ash waste. that was fun.

More
26 Jan 2015 08:59 #196124 by JEM
Replied by JEM on topic Re: Let's Talk Gorkamorka
Ah, I take it back. I was thinking about the "whoa!" metal trucks for the human digganobs. The grot rebels were fantastic. I scratch-built two sand riggers with balsa, sprues and "gubbins" items.

More
26 Jan 2015 11:08 #196141 by SuperflyPete
I think it's the last GW game that didn't start to cross over the fun vs. min/max vs. inaccessibility matrix lines. I've fucked around with it, and it was cool and relatively simple.

More
26 Jan 2015 12:08 #196156 by Columbob
Replied by Columbob on topic Re: Let's Talk Gorkamorka

metalface13 wrote: There are not as many factions as Necromunda or Mordheim. The base game has two factions of Orks that are basically identical. The Digganob expansion has three more mobs.

To be fair, the 6 gangs in Necromunda we're also basically identical, besides the models and background fluff.

I had a gang of the Muties, small but powerful. Then my leader got captured and I failed the rescue mission, so that gang went down fast.

More
26 Jan 2015 12:36 #196160 by SuperflyPete
Necromunda has been Min/Maxed to death. It's pretty much "a bunch of cunts running around dual wielding" to death. I don't even want to play it anymore, not that I much did. There's far better skirmish systems out there.

More
26 Jan 2015 13:13 #196166 by metalface13

Columbob wrote:

metalface13 wrote: There are not as many factions as Necromunda or Mordheim. The base game has two factions of Orks that are basically identical. The Digganob expansion has three more mobs.

To be fair, the 6 gangs in Necromunda we're also basically identical, besides the models and background fluff.

I had a gang of the Muties, small but powerful. Then my leader got captured and I failed the rescue mission, so that gang went down fast.

Yes that's true, although the later revised rules included some poorly written house weapons list. But the expansion added Redemptionists, Scavvies, Spyrers, Ratskins and Pit-Slave gangs. And Mordheim has way more variety in it's warbands. Granted, that was the last of the skirmish games produced.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds