October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Did any of y'all (other than Frank) get Kingdom Death?

More
05 Oct 2015 17:35 #211945 by Michael Barnes
Frank got it (of course) but I haven't been over to Swamp Castle II in a while thanks to scheduling/kids...I asked Adam Poots for a review copy, but he didn't have any figured into their budget and had none to give. My only hope of owning it is if Miniature Market gets any in and I can beg for one...but he said "direct only" for now. Ugh. $400.

I sort of dismissed it a couple of years ago as a wildly expensive Kickstarter debacle but reading about it now, it sounds REALLY interesting. Like, "nothing else like this is out there" interesting. But very commitment-oriented, very much a HOBBY game.

Did any of you guys get it? Curious to hear how it's playing...I know it looks awesome, the visual design is just stunning. Want to hear more about how it plays from trusted F:AT sources.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Oct 2015 18:40 - 06 Oct 2015 16:46 #211949 by severian
Last edit: 06 Oct 2015 16:46 by severian.

More
05 Oct 2015 18:57 #211950 by Michael Barnes
That would be an awesome 40th birthday present, F:AT...I'm just sayin'...

Looking at all those sprues...my god...the thing is, I actually really like the way those particular minis look in that white/gray/alabaster color. If I painted them, it would just be a shame.

More
05 Oct 2015 19:02 #211952 by Bookseller
Wow. That looks like ALOT of assembly to just get this game ready to play. I'm definitely more of a board game guy than a miniatures one. How does this compare to Space Hulk in the preparation of the figures?

More
05 Oct 2015 19:10 #211953 by Michael Barnes
Well, I'm definitely not a miniatures guy even though I've dabbled...these look like they will require a good bit of work to get together, which means a little more than just clipping them off sprues, sanding down the nubs and gluing them together. Probably some green stuff, likely some pinning (UGH!) But I also think that this isn't something where you would have to put EVERYTHING together at once, likely just what you need.

That said, I would probably at first just print cardboard stand-ups or use proxies...unless it turned out to be spectacular, and then I would put it together.

More
05 Oct 2015 19:32 #211958 by Wetworks
I'm hoping in a year or two the price will drop down to $200 during a Black Friday sale or something, I know Poots is big into Black Friday. The kickstarter ended just as I was starting to get into kickstarter, which is a shame because this would've been an insta back for me.

More
05 Oct 2015 20:43 #211963 by Space Ghost
I got it, but haven't had a chance to do anything with it. I think it looks right up Barnes' alley, both art and rules

More
06 Oct 2015 08:37 #211974 by charlest
Barnes kicking himself for missing a kickstarter? The times they are a-changin'.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob, drewcula

More
06 Oct 2015 08:56 #211975 by Chaz
I couldn't do it. The concept sounded neat. Then I realized that having equipment be represented on your model will be a massive pain to deal with. Either you have to constantly re-build your model, or decide to not have your model match the equipment, which misses the point. There's also the thing where it sounds like it's going to require a big time commitment, and I know that'll never happen in my gaming life.

This is another case where I'd love to have a no-minis variant for a reasonable price. I could take a punt on a $50 game I probably wouldn't play, but not on a several-hundred-dollar game I probably wouldn't play. The minis do look super sweet though, except for all the problematic female models.

More
06 Oct 2015 09:01 #211978 by Columbob
It does look interesting, but ultimately I'd rather play it on the computer or something. The entire game seems like an ultra-hard luck fest driven by GW-type result tables, both in book for non-combat and in card play format for combat. Building your village definitely looks cool but as I mentioned - vidja game material right there.

More
06 Oct 2015 09:10 #211979 by Sagrilarus

Michael Barnes wrote: That would be an awesome 40th birthday present, F:AT...I'm just sayin'...

Looking at all those sprues...my god...the thing is, I actually really like the way those particular minis look in that white/gray/alabaster color. If I painted them, it would just be a shame.

Just to be clear, you're telling us that it's ok if the free copy we send you isn't painted? Wouldn't want you to be disappointed.

More
06 Oct 2015 09:17 #211980 by SuperflyPete

Michael Barnes wrote: Well, I'm definitely not a miniatures guy even though I've dabbled...these look like they will require a good bit of work to get together, which means a little more than just clipping them off sprues, sanding down the nubs and gluing them together. Probably some green stuff, likely some pinning (UGH!) But I also think that this isn't something where you would have to put EVERYTHING together at once, likely just what you need.

That said, I would probably at first just print cardboard stand-ups or use proxies...unless it turned out to be spectacular, and then I would put it together.

As a resident miniature gamer, I think you should really make sure I get a copy of the game for review instead, because Miniature Market (TM) Customers (TM) deserve only the best, most informed reviews. (TM)

More
06 Oct 2015 13:56 #212004 by Michael Barnes
You know, I can't help but wonder if the extremely positive reviews and comments I've seen are really "wow, this $400 game I bought is awesome!" more than "wow, the gameplay and concept of this game is awesome!"

Pete- According to Poots, it's not going into distribution. Which is probably a good thing, because a $400 SKU at a hobby shop is retail suicide. Probably best since it is, as billed, "boutique" horror gaming. So a MM review copy is highly unlikely anytime in the near future.

Sag- Yes. I certainly do not expect the F:AT membership to go the extra mile.

Columbob- One of the things that really interests me about it is that it is VERY video game influenced. It's pretty clear that Dark Souls and Monster Hunter are big components of it. But this whole idea that your character's village influences aspects of them based on ideologies and such...that's a REALLY freaking cool concept.

Chaz- I think that's ultimately what the problem is here...at the price point, and with the miniatures involved it may be that the potentially innovative, interesting ideas are effectively behind both a pay wall and hobby wall so to speak. I would buy a $75 copy of this game with cardboard standups (and the same graphic design, same cards, etc.) in a hot minute. I appreciate (believe it or not) that it's effectively a "luxury class" product, but the reality of it is that "luxury class" in the hobby market is kind of pointless. It rules out people taking a chance on it, it rules out people who may be willing to spend TWO HUNDRED dollars on it.

Charlie- I'm not kicking myself for missing the Kickstarter at all...there is frankly no way in hell I would have put $400 on this in advance, even knowing what I know now about it and seeing it out in the wild.

More
06 Oct 2015 14:19 #212005 by Columbob

Michael Barnes wrote: I would buy a $75 copy of this game with cardboard standups (and the same graphic design, same cards, etc.) in a hot minute.

Seriously, it's a lot easier to produce different-looking cardboard standups for all the different armour configs that this game has produced in mini form. I guess it's a major vanity project that would never have seen the light of day if not for the KS pay-before-we-make-anything model.

As it is, it's just like buying a bunch of Warhammer squads at $50-60 a pop, the sprues filled with all these various pieces to customize your characters is exactly the same. This is modeling territory.

More
06 Oct 2015 14:25 #212006 by charlest

Michael Barnes wrote: Charlie- I'm not kicking myself for missing the Kickstarter at all...there is frankly no way in hell I would have put $400 on this in advance, even knowing what I know now about it and seeing it out in the wild.

Backers only paid $100 for it.

People have been pre-ordering at $250, $275, and now $290 at different points post kickstarter.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds