October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2658 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

GORECHOSEN

More
27 Jun 2016 13:23 #229421 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic GORECHOSEN
far more interested in this new Alea release, Gorec Hosen, where you have to design pants to impress the local pants master
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White, Columbob, Colorcrayons, birdman37, JEM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jun 2016 18:42 #229433 by Brewmiester
Replied by Brewmiester on topic GORECHOSEN

metalface13 wrote: Is this Stormcloud game using the standard 40k flyers or are they scaled down?

Haven't got any of the sets yet but I'm pretty sure they are the regular sized flyers. The latest White Dwarf points out that they will have stats for the other available 40K flyers for the game.

More
27 Jun 2016 20:17 #229436 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic GORECHOSEN
Stormcloud is standard flyers. Full kits with all the bling.

More
27 Jun 2016 21:14 - 27 Jun 2016 21:25 #229438 by Sevej
Dammit Barnes you made me look at Execution Force and I like what I'm looking there... random rooms, and how simple it is. Low replayability is a concern, but still...

I *really* like how these GW games turn out. They're almost simplistic, very direct, not trying to infuse any "smart" mechanism or interface into the game (as far as I know, only Silver Tower does this with its dice/action mechanism). I can't afford something like these in one go however.
Last edit: 27 Jun 2016 21:25 by Sevej.

More
28 Jun 2016 02:07 #229443 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic GORECHOSEN

Legomancer wrote: far more interested in this new Alea release, Gorec Hosen, where you have to design pants to impress the local pants master

Wrong era. The Euro revival thing he was into is dead.

I kid. It's ok to change your preferences on things year to year.

More
28 Jun 2016 09:17 #229447 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic GORECHOSEN
The "higher quality minis" thing doesn't really snare me, either. If it did, I'd still be paying a mortgage in GW prices for 40K, although probably not for Fantasy, since the Age of Simplemindar. And that's just the thing: i'm not particularly impressed by the revival of the GW "Let's just roll some dice!" approach to (so-called) design. This is the same thing I've been saying about Dungeonquest for years: It CAN be fun. It is NOT a "classic" by any stretch of the imagination. I loved 2nd Ed. Talisman, too. It doesn't mean I want to keep rolling a die to see how far I move every time I play a game or discover that my smartly-played and -equipped character just got bounced from the game because I drew one wrong card. There's nothing wrong with games like that. However you spend your money and your time are your business. But I'm not going to feel like a lesser person or someone who doesn't grasp the higher concepts of "fun" because I'm not interested in that stuff anymore.

Specifically to the minis, I spent thousands of dollars and I don't know how many hundreds of hours building and painting GW stuff. I still have 8000 points of fully-painted Skaven sitting around. I loved that stuff, but I loved it in part because it was a big project and I could match it up on the table against other people's big projects and get a relatively complex game out of it that required some degree of skill to be successful with. Having 4 guys on the board who presumably do the same thing every game is gloss over substance on the one hand and much ado about nothing on the other, IMO.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RabidWookie

More
28 Jun 2016 19:16 #229472 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic GORECHOSEN
I don't know, I find the "let's just roll dice" approach oddly refreshing after years and years of "cleverness". These games are much closer to the kinds of games I enjoyed in middle school and high school, before I got all critical about it. I appreciate how NOT fancy they are, how the narrative and setting really shine through when there's not all of this frippery trying to convince you of "theme". It's all there in these dudes shooting at those dudes, really.

Silver Tower is a little fancier, it has some modern concepts in terms of activations and advancement. But it's still really simplistic and straightforward.

Euro revival is not dead. I just got Ra in the mail today. One day FFG will acknowledge that they got the idea for the Euro Classics line from the Eurogames Reclamation Project.

As for the price issue, I get it- shit is expensive. If you start looking at the Forge World stuff, it's ASTRO-FUCKING-NOMICAL. My eyes nearly popped out of my head on a couple of their items. And to be honest, I think it DOES get to be ludicrously expensive when you start to venture outside of the "value" box sets. It's pretty clear they have a loss leader policy on this stuff...and it's hard to resist adding on when you've bought in. With what I have now, I have the makings of a pretty big (but not specialized or varied) Ultramarines army, a pretty decent low-point Goff Ork mob, the start of TWO 30k armies (Ultramarines and Word Bearers), a good start on a Chaos army, lots of AoS heroes and several monster groups, and a STUPID amount of Genestealer/Genestealer cults. So there is like five or six codices to buy (including the new Deathwatch one), and each army needs more stuff. All part of the plan...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, JEM

More
28 Jun 2016 19:49 - 28 Jun 2016 19:52 #229474 by Sevej
The funny thing about the prices though... *very few* other fantasy/sci-fi miniatures with GW's quality are cheaper. I don't think there's any. Mantic's cheaper, but they're stilll below GW in quality, poseability, miniature aesthetics and material.

Every other miniature line comes out, and they're priced around the same with GW. Again, *very few* makes plastic vehicle.

It's silly really. Everytime I think GW's expensive, trying to find alternative (since I *love* assembling and painting), I find nothing. Infinity is good, but single posed, which is quite stupid, in my opinion, if you and your enemy has the exact mini with different paintjob (like cheap video game making...) since the game is really all about single characters.

Only historicals (PSM 15mm and Perry brothers plastics) are cheaper. Others and more or less the same and I pick GW every time.

I'm 3 tactical squad boxes short of finishing a Space Marine company. That's one hundred minis, not counting 15 veterans, 5 scouts, 2 tanks and a drop pod...

Last time I played Blood Rage and one of the players commented "wow, this minis are so freaking cool". I just asked whether they've handled GW or PP's minis, they hadn't, and I said nothing.
Last edit: 28 Jun 2016 19:52 by Sevej.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brewmiester

More
28 Jun 2016 21:50 #229476 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic GORECHOSEN

Sevej wrote: Stormcloud is standard flyers. Full kits with all the bling.

Wow. How big does your play table need to be?

More
29 Jun 2016 05:12 #229479 by Brewmiester
Replied by Brewmiester on topic GORECHOSEN

metalface13 wrote:

Sevej wrote: Stormcloud is standard flyers. Full kits with all the bling.

Wow. How big does your play table need to be?

Looking at the sample game in the White Dwarf I'm guessing about 3'X3' for a one on one.

More
29 Jun 2016 08:37 - 29 Jun 2016 08:53 #229484 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic GORECHOSEN
Gorechosen's theme reminds me of the old Pit Fighter WD game Jarvis Johnson cooked up a long time back.

That game used hexes and pre-programmed movement patterns you chose from. The more popular game I can think of that did something similar was that Wizkids Crimson Skies CMG.
Last edit: 29 Jun 2016 08:53 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
30 Jun 2016 14:44 #229556 by Michael Barnes
Some more news...all four of the figures in this game can be used in Silver Tower (and AOS), obviously.

And GW has six BOARD GAMES in the works on top of Blood Bowl. One of them is supposedly Dark Future recast as a 40K game.

More
30 Jun 2016 14:53 #229557 by Colorcrayons
Replied by Colorcrayons on topic GORECHOSEN

Michael Barnes wrote: Some more news...all four of the figures in this game can be used in Silver Tower (and AOS), obviously.

And GW has six BOARD GAMES in the works on top of Blood Bowl. One of them is supposedly Dark Future recast as a 40K game.

They really NEED to work on a space hulk expansion. Those red ambush blips need to come back along with a ton more scenarios that GW have taken down across the intarnetz. If you're gonna be draconian, then at least give us a chance to buy them.
Some new board tiles would be fabulous too.

Not sure about the genestealer expansion though. While I bought overkill so I could fashion it, it was only for completions sake.

There has to be something new that they could fashion for their arguably most popular board game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
30 Jun 2016 15:08 #229558 by Michael Barnes
I hope they continue with "multipurpose" products...I like that I have Deathwatch and later on I can use them in 40k with their new codex. I like that Silver Tower figures can add to an AoS army.

There's so much they could do, I think a Space Hulk expansion that gets beyond Terminators/Genestealers could be good. But I would really like to see board games with different races...like an Eldar vs. Necron thing or something. Something focused on land vehicles.

More
30 Jun 2016 15:43 #229559 by the_jake_1973
Replied by the_jake_1973 on topic GORECHOSEN
Bring back Gorkamorka!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds