October 09, 2023
2295 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

GORECHOSEN

More
05 Oct 2016 16:38 #235577 by Delobius
Replied by Delobius on topic GORECHOSEN
Damn, that sounds awesome. I was going to stay away from it, since I already have enough games (har har), but...

How long does it run?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Oct 2016 19:02 #235580 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic GORECHOSEN
Any thoughts on the sweet spot, player count-wise?

More
05 Oct 2016 19:12 #235582 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic GORECHOSEN
No man, this is one to buy. Throw away one of your other games if you have to.

It's about 45 minutes, maybe an hour at the most? It plays really quickly. I would have set it up again (takes literally about one minute) and played another round but my friends were cowardly and had to leave since it was "late". I called it "The Parting of the Cowards".

Here's how it works to give you a better idea. The arena is a pretty small hex grid. You start anywhere more than two spaces away from the other fighters. You have a card that has your specials and a wound tracker on it. Everybody has a rage chip that goes on a chart. This rating determines how many initiative cards you put in the deck, which randomly determines who gets to go when. The more rage-filled you are, the more you get to do. Doing cowardly, lame stuff like running away reduces your rage, but so does making mighty attacks. Rage goes up based on things like critical hits (when YOU get hit) and so forth. So the more beat the hell up you get, the more ragey you get. And thus, the guy that is the whipping boy for all three other fighters might get to just whip 'em all on the next round with more turns than them.

Each fighter has a killzone that matches their weapon. So the dude with the flaming chain hammer has a wide arc that does more damage if you are at range 2. The guy with two axes is a total BEAST if you are in front of him, but he has no reach at all. And so on.

Everything is run with action cards, you get five per round. These have three choices on them, which are usually a move, a variety of attack types, and either a dodge/block/parry or "trick" move. On your turn, play one and do one thing. The end! It really is that simple.

One thing that REALLY separates this game from other fighting games is that MOVING is super freakin' important. Usually these kinds of games wind up with players dicing it off and nobody maneuvering. In this, there are a lot of ways that other players can move you (like kicking you into a pit, which kills you instantly) so you might find yourself staggered and turned the wrong way round and you need to play a card that lets you change facing or you might get backstabbed.

The attacks are typical GW. You roll X dice, with a Y+ hit. These do wounds, but the victim has to play a card to dodge/block/parry and all of those are different. If you get hit, you take wounds and that moves your marker down the track. If you go down to zero, you draw a critical injury card and place a wound marker on the top most space, effectively reducing your wounds every time you hit zero. Once you are completely wounded out, you're dead. Thing is, attacks can do a bunch of damage, so it doesn't take long. There are also markers on your attacks that shift from healthy to wounded, reducing your effectiveness.

Oh, and special abilities...on most, you have to discard two cards to use them. They do great things. Heldrax's is awesome, you target another player anywhere on the board and both roll a die. You add that player's wrath (up to four) and do damage equal to the difference of the sum and the other player's roll. Nasty business.

That's pretty much it, there's more fluff than rules in the book. Illustrations are GREAT.

There is one complaint, otherwise this game is perfect. I mean it. I kind of wish that they saw the potential in this game as something MORE than a Khorne thing. They could make this an Age of Sigmar pit fighting game, do stat cards for all the models (like Silver Tower) and I would be on the hook for like a thousand dollars. Then they could sell me different arenas too. Or different sets, like a four-pack of Seraphon fighters and maybe a board with their setting on it. It would be freaking awesome. But it's just a Khorne thing, and that's fine because it suits it well.

I kind of hope they will do a four-pack like they did for Silver Tower of those other fighters...but then again, three of them are in that starter set...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White, Columbob, Colorcrayons, sornars

More
05 Oct 2016 19:13 #235583 by Michael Barnes
Player count- four players. If you have two, play with two fighters on teams. If you have three, give one player two fighters on a team. You really want all four on the board. It isn't hard to manage four, I soloed it this morning and it was easy to keep track of.

More
05 Oct 2016 19:44 #235588 by Michael Barnes
PSA- the Bloodstoker (whip guy) is super cheap on eBay. I paid $5 shipped.

More
05 Oct 2016 20:28 - 05 Oct 2016 20:38 #235590 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic GORECHOSEN
This doesn't sound like an attempt to just sell models. Game sounds legit.

Man, has gw done a turnaround this year or what...
Last edit: 05 Oct 2016 20:38 by Mr. White.

More
05 Oct 2016 20:52 #235592 by Mr. White
who designed this? who's on their development staff these days?

I believe they grabbed some mantic guys a while back. could be wrong though.

More
05 Oct 2016 20:55 #235593 by Michael Barnes
I believe Jesus is the uncredited designer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13, Gary Sax, sornars, RabidWookie

More
05 Oct 2016 20:57 #235594 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic GORECHOSEN
I really want it, but my games expenditure has been INSANE lately. Perhaps I'll reward myself at Christmas.

More
05 Oct 2016 20:59 #235595 by Mr. White
hmmm...with this setting it must have been developed during his Passion of the Christ phase...

More
05 Oct 2016 21:04 #235596 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic GORECHOSEN
Glad to hear this game is fun. Hmm ... I'll have to see what kind of birthday/Christmas money I bring in this year. I could totally see a similar Tzeentchy spell duel game or maybe Nurgle food eating contest? Or even a Slaneesh orgy game?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob

More
05 Oct 2016 22:34 #235600 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic GORECHOSEN
I still lament Legomancer's post, that until this day I can't stop calling it Gorec Hosen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Colorcrayons

More
05 Oct 2016 22:51 #235601 by Michael Barnes
I KNOW RIGHT

More
06 Oct 2016 06:32 #235609 by Colorcrayons
Replied by Colorcrayons on topic GORECHOSEN
Or like it reads on the inside rim of the box:

Goret Ouched.

I guess that is a piglet who was given a boo-boo?

This is a silly game that gw made.

More
06 Oct 2016 07:33 - 06 Oct 2016 07:53 #235611 by JEM
Replied by JEM on topic GORECHOSEN
Well, I ordered this from the Discount store- I hope you get a commission on those, Barnes. Doing some research it looks like the White Dwarf figure is already in the game, so that's a duplicate. What else is there to track down? Youtube videos and official GW pages don't seem to have info on the additional blokes.

ETA: OK I ordered Mr Whippy for $6 on ebay. That giant Pog carrying guy is only up on auctions by the same seller for something like $15 BIN. Maybe five is enough figures for now.
Last edit: 06 Oct 2016 07:53 by JEM.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.274 seconds