October 09, 2023
2295 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

New expansion for Arena of the Planeswalkers: SOI

More
30 Jun 2016 08:18 #229524 by drewcula
Huh. Well, I didn't see this coming. I thought Arena of the Planeswalkers was dead in the water. Now there's a new expansion.

Cut and paste description:

"In the Magic: The Gathering - Arena of the Planeswalkers, players customize the battlefield by designing the map then placing terrain and powerful glyphs. Then players choose one of five different Planeswalkers and move their figure and unique creature squads around the map in a race to out-maneuver opponents and gain tactical advantages! Cast devastating spells, summon powerful squads, and tap into your unique Planeswalker abilities to defeat your opponents. Be the last Planeswalker standing to win!

Shadows Over Innistrad is a stand-alone expansion to Arena of the Planeswalkers."

CSI link: www.coolstuffinc.com/p/229205
The following user(s) said Thank You: Egg Shen, epaparellanto

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jun 2016 08:28 #229526 by Black Barney
The following user(s) said Thank You: epaparellanto

More
30 Jun 2016 10:22 #229537 by Ken B.
I don't think it's been doing that well but also Wizards had this whole cycle (Base game, Zendikar, Innistrad) planned from the beginning, I remember them laying that out near the game's release. Maybe this will give it a surge, but I wouldn't be remotely surprised if this is the last release for it. Hasbro/Wizkids are not well known for supporting games long-term.

More
30 Jun 2016 12:19 #229545 by jeb
AotP is on Clearance at my local Target for like $17. It's a decent game if you don't have HEROSCAPE, check near you, great game at that price.

More
30 Jun 2016 12:31 #229547 by Colorcrayons
I'm still a fan of Planeswalkers arena, but the release schedule is so slow. Without adding your own custom content, it loses a bit of its luster, sadly. At this rate, we won't have good army building options for years and that's a shame.

But, at least this expansion/standalone comes with totally brand new terrain.

www.inverse.com/article/17732-shadows-ov...of-the-planeswalkers

More
30 Jun 2016 21:30 #229584 by Egg Shen
I still really enjoy Arena of Planeswalkers. However, I haven't really played the last expansion all that much. So I can probably wait on this one.......

[scans article]

Oh. What's that on the cover? One of the minis looks like....

Yup. There's a chick that turns into a fucking werewolf!

Well, I guess I just bought this then.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Josh Look, Colorcrayons, engineer Al, epaparellanto

More
16 Jul 2016 14:42 #230299 by Colorcrayons
I have gotten several games in combining the new expansion with previous materials.
The game has gotten so much better now. In a huge way.

If you're not a fan to begin with though, this likely won't change your mind.

But wow, even if green got a bit snuffed in spells, Arlinn and the werewolves make up for that. Red and green is sweet in combination.
The multi colored planeswalkers alone upped the game from "good but we need more to taste the true potential" to "compelling game" when played with everything together.
Blue is still as annoying as hell though, but not quite as over the top as we saw in the base.

I'm lovin' dis shit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, epaparellanto

More
07 Jan 2017 14:23 #241953 by RabidWookie
How does this game compare to Heroscape? I have a mountain of old Heroscape stuff that hasn't been touched in a decade, own the first two releases in this new line but haven't played yet.

More
28 Aug 2017 14:54 #253249 by fastbilly1
If anyone was interested in AOTP at all, now is the time to buy. You can get all three sets on Amazon for about $30:
Base:
www.amazon.com/Magic-Gathering-Arena-Pla...s-Game/dp/B00SDJGCRA
Zendikar:
www.amazon.com/Magic-Gathering-Planeswal...nsion/dp/B015XXU5KS/
Innistrad:
www.amazon.com/Magic-Gathering-Planeswal...strad/dp/B01ALHAFFQ/

Thats a ton of content for two players, and a decent amount for four players. Buy two of each and have enough options for years to come.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bendgar, hotseatgames, epaparellanto, ufe20

More
28 Aug 2017 15:06 #253250 by southernman
Anyone coming over to the UK feel free to squeeze these in your bags for me (over £60 here) ....

More
28 Aug 2017 15:33 #253251 by Jexik
It's really a shame. I played the base set once and thought it wasn't bad, and if nothing else you can use it for Heroscape or find some way to hybridize it. All of that for less than a Rise of the Valkryie set... I wonder how much it actually compares in terms of figures and hexes. It's probably less, come to think of it!

Hasbro just never knew what to do with Heroscape, and Wizards doesn't know what to do with anything that's not MtG or D&D.. D&D and Magic are not really brands that extend very well. People who play those games want those _exact_ experiences, not the setting. If anything, D&D players will end up playing other RPGs or games that are kind of trashy and text filled, like Betrayal at House on the Hill. Magic players just want to buy more magic, until they get sick of it and reject it entirely.. or maybe go back and play some LCG that they think will recreate that feeling . Sure, they've got years of 'lore' but I think less than 10% of magic players actually give a crap about it. Lords of Waterdeep seems like the one notable exception, but it also nails the light worker placement thing down. The window dressing is just enough to get the "boo farming game" people to give it a shot.

Most cross-media licensed games that work are re-works based on exceptionally popular TV shows (right now it's stuff like Rick and Morty and Game of Thrones). Star Wars is huge, and people will buy anything with it on it. Marvel/DC stuff is still big, but comics and games used to be in the same shops, and even our movies are flooded with comic stuff now. But even Marvelscape didn't do so well. Certain video games can work, but even that's hit and miss. Bioshock Infinite didn't live up to expectations at all, but these recent Nintendo (Mario/zelda) games might.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, epaparellanto

More
28 Aug 2017 16:22 #253256 by Michael Barnes
Ironically, the most successful Heroscape setting was the lamest and most unknown one. But it was unique, because it had stuff like Romans, Cowboys, Ninjas and Braveheart dudes. They started trying to bring in licensed stuff and it faltered. People were more drawn to the historical/fantasy/sci fi mish mash.

I still think a Star Wars set should have been a no brainer...or Lord of the Rings, at the time.

Arena of the Planeswalkers is really good, it had a lot of potential...but it was also oddly whiffy. Like, why weren't there booster packs of cards and heroes available day one? Why did they even bother with the 3-4 pieces of Heroscape terrain?

The expansions were really good too...I have all three and haven't sold them, I think they are worth hanging on to. And definitely worth $30.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, southernman, Gary Sax, epaparellanto

More
28 Aug 2017 19:53 #253263 by Jexik

Michael Barnes wrote: ]I still think a Star Wars set should have been a no brainer...

I'd vastly prefer this to Legions. I'm not 100% sure what licensing stuff is going on, but it seems like ANA/FFG have star wars stuff locked down.

More
28 Aug 2017 22:51 #253278 by Sagrilarus
This is a hell of a pickup for $30.

More
29 Aug 2017 02:19 #253281 by southernman

Sagrilarus wrote: This is a hell of a pickup for $30.

Not making me feel better Sag.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.242 seconds