October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2655 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Let's Talk Dark Future

More
11 Jul 2016 11:58 #229958 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic And 1 (Dark Future)
yeah. Some years ago, the first time I owned this, I had a few yards of some brown specked fabric that I laid on the table. super cheap.

Btw, did you ever play with the pedestrian rules from WD? I did on several occasions because I wanted to make use of those great 20mm minis. Thing is, they only seemed to work if we were playing on a closed track. a loop. playing on the open, randomly generated road meant the drivers that got out of their cards would quickly be left behind and out of the game.

Is there another way to play with them that I'm missing/hadn't thought of?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jul 2016 12:15 #229960 by JEM
Replied by JEM on topic And 1 (Dark Future)
I had a bunch of the pedestrians, I went all in on everything DF. But like you say, on a rolling track they soon get left behind. It's more for missions where there's a static objective, like some stalled tanker or something.

Once I got the racing rules (jalopies!) I didn't go back to regular highway pursuits. I go by the advice of Taurus in Interstate '76: "Never get out of the car."

More
11 Jul 2016 13:20 - 11 Jul 2016 13:22 #229962 by Mr. White
I never played the "A Day at the Races" rules. I simply would have us run through three scenarios with win/loss pts and whichever gang/corp had the most points after the third scenario won.

It's been a long, long time since I read those jalopy rules...can you summarize them? How well did they work out in actual play?

Already having BB and DB as league games I was thinking DF would be more one-off or, like I mentioned above, a handful of scenarios. However, if the jalopy campaign rules are decent maybe I'll give them a go.

What I would like to do though is bring in a little more 'demon' like in the novels. There was a long ago rumor that the demon appearances in 1995 are the far, far, FAR back origins of the 40K universe. I dunno if there was any truth to that, but I can totally see them tossing that idea around the studio. Anyway, I hope to house rule maybe some demon-touched drivers. Would be a good use for some of the more crazy hot wheels such as:
Last edit: 11 Jul 2016 13:22 by Mr. White.

More
11 Jul 2016 13:32 - 11 Jul 2016 13:33 #229964 by JEM
Jeez, it was a long time ago. The thing I liked most about the jalopies (and they were the highlight of the racing rules for me) was that the cars were garbage. Like stats of 2 across everything, and they were dirt cheap so they made a really nice starting place to build a racing team from. I guess you could just start with more money, but I liked these crappy cars. I think they were low on hard points also, so you couldn't cheese them out with weapons. They made for viable "crappy but numerous" bandit kind of cars and turned my childhood collection of Matchbox and Corgi cars into death racers.

Next time I visit the UK I can see a lot of this stuff coming back in my luggage.
Last edit: 11 Jul 2016 13:33 by JEM.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
11 Jul 2016 14:51 #229968 by Mr. White
Looking foward to that so we can get some more DF discussion here. ;)

Poked around during lunch and apparently there was a DF article in an issue of GDW's Challenge magazine. Issue 52 same some rules for a gang called the Sand Cats by Graeme (WFRP) Davis.

Anyone got a 'copy'?

More
11 Jul 2016 15:14 #229970 by JEM
I have no idea. I swear I got some kind of scans of DF and White Line Fever and some other stuff stashed on a (probably now defunct) hard disk from years ago, but I never saw any files again.

More
11 Jul 2016 17:14 - 11 Jul 2016 19:41 #229976 by Brewmiester
Replied by Brewmiester on topic And 1 (Dark Future)

Mr. White wrote: Looking foward to that so we can get some more DF discussion here. ;)

Poked around during lunch and apparently there was a DF article in an issue of GDW's Challenge magazine. Issue 52 same some rules for a gang called the Sand Cats by Graeme (WFRP) Davis.

Anyone got a 'copy'?

I'll check Mr. White, I've got a few copies from that era.

Update: found issue 53 so I'm pretty optimistic.
Last edit: 11 Jul 2016 19:41 by Brewmiester. Reason: update

More
14 Jul 2016 09:22 - 14 Jul 2016 09:23 #230131 by Mr. White
Some in-play footage of the video game is up.
www.darkfuture.info/blog/

I'm still amazed this game is getting made in this setting. However, over on the Auroch Digital FB page a few interesting tidbits have come up:

1) Sounds like they may, down the road (ha!), implement some of the demon stuff from the novels. Possibly even reinforce the rumor of this being the beginnings of the 40k universe. That would make sense as the tie-in to the new 40k based game
2) Pete Knifton (artist of DF and 2nd ed BB) mentions he did some concepts for a DF toy range that was supposed to release in the mid-90s. An updated Redd Harvest was part of the line. Shorter hair and what not. I had no idea a toy line was in the works.
Last edit: 14 Jul 2016 09:23 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JEM

More
14 Jul 2016 09:41 #230134 by JEM
Not sure about front-engined Renegades, but I'm mostly happy to see the game living on in some form.

More
21 Jul 2016 10:14 #230560 by Mr. White
Has anyone here read both the original GW novels and the recent (well...a decade ago) Black Flame editions? I'm on the hunt for these novels now and was intending to just get the originals.

More
21 Jul 2016 15:19 #230585 by Columbob
Replied by Columbob on topic And 1 (Dark Future)
I've read all of them about a decade ago. Jack Yeovil's run still rules.
The recent editions were reprints of some old ones, and 3-4 new books which were all right I suppose, exploring more of this dystopian future. 2 of them were by the same author and featured the same protagonist. One was set in the Far East, another one in South America.

More
21 Jul 2016 19:53 - 21 Jul 2016 19:54 #230599 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic And 1 (Dark Future)
For anyone interested:
app.box.com/s/3zgpguvxwu8f81q3qx3losf76vbmygmu

DF, St Louis Blues, Day at the Races...and a shitload more. At the back of the book.
Last edit: 21 Jul 2016 19:54 by SuperflyPete.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JEM, Satyr

More
22 Jul 2016 08:45 #230614 by Columbob

Mr. White wrote: Has anyone here read both the original GW novels and the recent (well...a decade ago) Black Flame editions? I'm on the hunt for these novels now and was intending to just get the originals.

Hey Jeff, I have no intention of rereading them in the foreseeable future, if ever, so if you can stomach the shipping costs from the (currently sweltering) Great White North to Texas, I'm willing to send the whole series your way.

More
22 Jul 2016 09:07 #230619 by Mr. White
I have the original gw Route 666 (anthology book) already on order, but I'd be interested in what you have.

Can you list the titles and publisher?

More
22 Jul 2016 14:48 #230662 by Columbob
Pretty much this Wikipedia list , all original editions except for the 4 last ones. Not sure if I have the GW or Boxtree edition of Krokodyle Tears, I'll have to check.

I had hopes that the Black Flame run would mean we'd finally see the fabled United States Calvary, but alas, that ship has sailed.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.209 seconds