October 09, 2023
2423 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2632 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Let's Talk DreadBall

More
03 Aug 2016 15:18 #231326 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Let's Talk DreadBall
I really want to try Dreadball but I don't want to wait for next year to do so. Is it worth picking up the Dreadball Deluxe set?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Aug 2016 15:54 - 03 Aug 2016 16:06 #231328 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Let's Talk DreadBall
Yes, if you're referring to the product I think you are, that's basically the 1e Base Set. Everything in that will be compatible with 2e besides the event deck which is getting tweaked. That deck will be available for like $5-10 at retail next year.

I understand when 1e was released there was a super stripped down set called 'kick-off' and 'deluxe' was just the given name to what is basically just the complete core game.

1e is awesome and will be running another season or two on it prior to 2e's release next year.
Last edit: 03 Aug 2016 16:06 by Mr. White.

More
08 Aug 2016 00:54 #231559 by Michael Barnes
Well I got one on EBay for $35. Went ahead and grabbed a Deadzone set too, figure I'll just hit the Mantic stuff now.

More
09 Aug 2016 07:15 #231631 by Mr. White
Let me know what DB questions you have. Great game!

Deadzone...I don't know too much about. I understand 2nd ed is supposed to be awesome, but I have no idea how much it differs from first. I'm very interested in the broad movement combined with the line of sight rules. Seems like a fun, fluid game.

More
09 Aug 2016 08:35 #231636 by drewcula
Replied by drewcula on topic Let's Talk DreadBall
MB,
As a budget minded gamer, you scored DB for a great price. I hope you enjoy it as much as Jeff and I. It has a few warts, but the core gameplay is solid. If you have ANY questions, or need anything, let me know.
Deadzone 1st edition has more warts, and the majority of players I've talked to prefer the second edition. Regardless, you'll have a box of stuff to play with. I don't play it.
I look forward to your DB thoughts!
AW

More
09 Aug 2016 09:05 #231644 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Let's Talk DreadBall

Mr. White wrote: Deadzone...I don't know too much about. I understand 2nd ed is supposed to be awesome, but I have no idea how much it differs from first. I'm very interested in the broad movement combined with the line of sight rules. Seems like a fun, fluid game.

Second edition is hands down more fun to play than first edition. Rules are streamlined significantly. Highlights:
  1. They got rid of the action deck and replaced it with command dice. These are custom d6s that let you take extra actions with your units. Keeps things moving.
  2. But... they also got rid of the unit stat cards, and even if you have the old ones, they aren't always the same stats. So you are looking up data in the book all the time
  3. Aggression / unit status changes are MUCH easier to handle now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13, drewcula

More
09 Aug 2016 10:23 - 09 Aug 2016 10:26 #231656 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, I got 2nd edition Deadzone...I looked over the rules and I really like what I'm seeing. Definitely Necromunda influenced. The movement rules are very much like Deathwatch: Overkill. Also figures that if it's a bust I can still use all that terrain for 40k.
Last edit: 09 Aug 2016 10:26 by Michael Barnes.

More
09 Aug 2016 15:19 #231683 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic Let's Talk DreadBall
I was poised to pull the trigger on the Dreadball KS; however, I backed out during the last 10 minutes. The experience with Dungeon Saga really soured me on Mantic games' KS operation. I finally got the rest of my pledge and everything was just thrown in one big box. I had to sort through it all and refer to images on their homepage to see if I got all of the pieces I ordered.

In the end, I just decided to wait for Blood Bowl. I might also try some of the Stormcloud dogfighting.

More
09 Aug 2016 16:29 #231686 by Michael Barnes
Well there is also Gorechosen and the "coming soon" Betrayal at Calth sequel Battle of Prospero, should you wish to divert your funds there.

I pledged a dollar on Dreadball 2 just in case...but it sounds like their KIckstarters are crap.

More
09 Aug 2016 16:31 #231687 by Michael Barnes
Oh, question. Are there official team paint schemes? I don't really see any. Is there a painting guide or anything? I was thinking of doing those Trontek dudes in really shiny silver and dark turquoise.

More
09 Aug 2016 16:35 - 09 Aug 2016 16:36 #231688 by Mr. White

Michael Barnes wrote: Oh, question. Are there official team paint schemes? I don't really see any. Is there a painting guide or anything? I was thinking of doing those Trontek dudes in really shiny silver and dark turquoise.

Each race has a 'featured team' with a brief bio in the rulebooks. these same teams are the name of the teams when you buy them off the shelves. Same paint jobs on both the team boxes and in the rulebooks.

I suppose those are the 'official' team colors, so, yes, Trontek has team colors, but like BB or anything else, half the fun is rolling your own.

This post and the one following has a few of my teams:
fortressat.com/forum/34-pimp-my-game/446...ing?start=195#230309
Last edit: 09 Aug 2016 16:36 by Mr. White.

More
09 Aug 2016 17:07 #231692 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic Let's Talk DreadBall

Michael Barnes wrote: Well there is also Gorechosen and the "coming soon" Betrayal at Calth sequel Battle of Prospero, should you wish to divert your funds there.

You know I will

More
12 Aug 2016 16:32 #231902 by Michael Barnes
OK, so I really like this and I like painting the figures so it looks like I'll probably get a couple more teams and another pitch...mainly in hopes of running two simultaneous games to lure some of the folks I play with to get in on it. I don't really get the expansion deal. I understand that each season includes a set of four teams, and the set I got on ebay had an unannounced/unexpected copy of the Season 2 book so I have those open to me. But...

- What is the deal with "boosters"? Is that the actual team expansion or is it something else? It mentions "alternate poses", I'm not clear if it is what you need to get a team together or if it is something to buy separate from the actual team pack.

- Which teams are the most FUN to play? I do not care about "best". More worried about fun factor and diversity I am leaning toward Veer-Myn or Judawan for a fast 'n loose team but then the rest are a big question mark. The robots look maybe a little complicated with switching roles, I really like the Void Sirens but I have a human team already...but I'd very much like to paint them. I saw that there actually are fish people, who I would normally go straight for, but I do not have their season book. The bugs look kind of odd, I dunno.

- Where is the discount center for this stuff? I am really impressed at how AFFORDABLE this stuff is after getting accustomed to GW premium pricing, but still...always looking for the bottom dollar on 'em. Looks like most teams can be had for about twenty bucks.

More
12 Aug 2016 16:58 - 12 Aug 2016 17:03 #231904 by Mr. White
Ok, sit back, and I'll see if I can explain the situation on how the teams were packaged. This is a marketing nightmare, that looks to be cleaned up in DB2.

Seasons 1-3 were sold like the poor GW model in the early 00s. A base team, then a booster box with a few more figs. These boosters would also include the fun prone models as well as a few new poses. These two boxes that were sold separately were later packed together in what is called a 'League Edition'. If buying a team from seasons 1-3 you can get by with the base team, but the League Edition is the way to go to get it all. The Booster itself won't suffice.
To recap seasons 1-3:
* Base Box - will work
* Booster Box - if you already have a base box (or one of the two core teams)
* League Edition - combination of the above two - best setup

Seasons 4-6 don't have boosters, league editions or any of that stuff. There's only one team box, but it has prone figures. But wait! There's isn't as many models as the earlier League Editions. So if you want a full complement to fill out a league roster you'll likely need two. Lucky for us, that's not necessary. Another notch in DBs favor over BB. In BB you can have up to 16 on the roster and 11 on the field, so not many subs. In DB you can have 14 on the roster and 6 on the grid. You don't need 8 subs. In league play there's plenty of other things to buy (coaches, coaching dice, cards, cheerleaders, etc). One box from season 4-6 will give you about 7-10 players. Plenty for a season. You don't need to worry about filling out all 14 slots in this game.
To recap season 4-6:
* One team box - it's good!

If you're also interested in the Season 3 and 4 books, let me know. I know a place.

Season Two teams:
Zzor (bugs) - are tough as nails. They don't go down. Not the best scoring, and may start off the league a little weak, but with them not taking much damage should end the season strong. Sort of like Chaos in BB. Tough at first, but can get on a roll
Judwan (grey aliens) - they are pacifist and can't throw slams. A fun passing team, but are always the subject of contention on how to play them. Mantic implemented a fix that many of us think went to far. This is the team that I look forward to getting the best update in DB2
Transformers (robots) - fun to paint and play, but a little tough as you have to forfeit one of your 5 team actions to transform them. On the plus side, your team is seldom out of position
Female Corp - Great team. Running interference is annoying. The upside is you can use them and the male corp models interchangeably as either team.

Beyond season two:
Sphyr (fish people) - pretty much the male human team, but they have tales so have some rear protection. Not complicated to play
Ada Lorna (energy beings/ghosts) - they can phase through other models if they don't have the ball, so never have to roll to dodge around. The models are clear blue and look really sharp with just a blue wash. Let your kids paint these for easy success.
Teratons (space turtles) - They can teleport and hit hard. TMNT is a popular paint scheme with them

A neat thing about DB, again setting itself apart from BB, is that these teams all have unique abilities. In BB, the teams are all built from a pooled list of skills. In DB practically every team has a unique twist that no other team ever has access to. It's pretty cool.

I find good deals on ebay or The Warstore. At about $20-25 a team...it ain't bad.

EDIT: Teams I stay away from are: the convicts, nameless, and rebels. I understand they're a bit OP and are being reviewed. Also the Mutants and Mechanite robots have robust 'build-a-player' rules so maybe not the best for a first season. Fortunately, even omitting the above five...there's plenty of other teams to choose from.
Last edit: 12 Aug 2016 17:03 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, metalface13

More
12 Aug 2016 17:28 #231906 by Michael Barnes
Thanks, that all makes sense...I think.

I dunno, I can't decide. Kind of want the rats because I've not ever painted any Skaven or "fantasy rats". Judwan seem really neat and different. What's the deal on those books?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.412 seconds