October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Let's Talk About Age of Sigmar

More
14 Nov 2016 19:02 - 14 Nov 2016 19:21 #238392 by Michael Barnes
Huh, I figured there would be a Death box and I thought it would be Flesh Eater Courts. I'm pretty much set on Stormcast and Bloodbound, in may pick up the Sylvaneth one.

PREDICTION: Sylvaneth box will be Spirit of Durthu, six Kurnoth Hunters (YES), 10 Tree/Spite Revenants, Sylvaneth Wildwood. That would be pretty cheeky to put the terrain set in there, but it is a critical part of this army. There's no leader in this set but I think based on the Ironjawz box that they wouldn't do a character like Hamadreth and I can't see them doing Arielle in this. I also don't think they'd duplicate the Treelord from Start Collecting since none of the Ironjawz box is redundant.

If all of that is $125-$150 as suggested...WOOOOOO BUDDY. That is WAY too good a deal to pass up. Are these just a one time only thing or do they stick around for a while?

If I had a better picture of the next 40k edition I'd be sorely tempted on one of those boxes too. Probably Tau. Maybe Deathwatch since I have a bunch of those dudes already from Overkill.
Last edit: 14 Nov 2016 19:21 by Michael Barnes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Nov 2016 19:38 #238393 by barrowdown
I assume they are one-time only. They traditionally do a large box of stuff for a couple of factions in each game each December. Doing four for each is larger than usual.

It varies whether they make them available outside of their own online store. If it's a general release, this will be great.

I snagged the Eldar wraith box a couple of years ago on clearance from a FLGS and it was a good deal even at full price.

I'm probably going to pick up the Mechanicus, unless it is loaded with electro priests.

More
14 Nov 2016 20:35 #238401 by metalface13

Michael Barnes wrote: What is it, like $250 or something? I may just get a dollar store T-Rex and glue on some spare parts for a "counts as".

Choosing to go for the bubblegum miniatures look? ;)

More
15 Nov 2016 10:02 #238438 by barrowdown
90% sure on contents from both War of Sigmar and Faeit 212:

Stormcast: Celestant Prime, Knight Azyros, Dracoth Riders, 10 Liberators
Sylvaneth: Drycha, Treelord, 6 Kurnoth Hunters, 10 Tree Revenants (all the rumors seem unsure on this one, stating that is a much better deal than the others)
Ironjawz: same as I listed before, 1 Megaboss, 1 Shaman, 10 Brutes, 3 Goregruntas, 1 Aleguzzler Gargant
Bloodbound: Skar Bloodwrath, 3 Juggernauts, 20 Bloodreavers, 5 Wrathmongers, 10 Blood Warriors (this is the same contents I think as their Bloodbound expansion set).

They have photos for the 40k stuff, so those are probably 100% known.

LINKS:
War of Sigmar
Faeit 212

More
15 Nov 2016 11:25 #238448 by Michael Barnes
Huh, I'm really surprised they went with Drycha...because that devalues that set for folks that already have her. But then again, that set is an outrageous deal. I think with that and a Start Collectiing you have a great Sylvaneth army EXCEPT you need those Wildwoods. I'd rather they had done a Spirit of Durthu than another Treelord, but the Treelord is awesome and has two builds so that's OK with me. I will definitely be getting one of these, especially if Dan's has it- that set would be like $120-$130 with his discount. But even if they are GW only, $170 for those sets is a great deal.

The Stormcast set isn't very inspiring though, it looks like the weakest if you have the start collecting and the starter box. I already have four units of Liberators, the Knight-Azyros was in a Silver Tower hero pack. The Celestant Prime is good but I don't know if he's essential. The Dracoth riders are really good and I do want them, but I think I'd rather just pick them up separately some time.

The Bloodbound box, I have everything in it but Skar. And I have like seven Bloodbound hero/leaders, so I'm not in a hurry. I built my Wrathmongers as Skullreapers though, and I think I would do another set the same way. It is the same as that "expansion" box they did last year.

The Tau box is MIGHTY nice, as is the Deathwatch one but I wish that it had that lovely flyer in it.

Ha ha, I'm talking about getting more figures and last night I was sitting there with like 20 sprues worth of Seraphon spread out, looking them over.

I may start playing up at the GW store sometime soon.

More
15 Nov 2016 11:36 #238450 by barrowdown
Spirit of Durthu is the same kit as the Treelord, so you would still have that option.

I'm sure the Deathwatch was selected to move more base marines with a few upgrade sprues tossed in to convert them.

I'm looking at the Mechanicus one because I am thinking Dark Mechanicus with Iron Warriors will be what I do after I finish up the Daemons. However, it has electro priests (which I do not like the look of and are apparently garbage in-game) and Kastelan robots (which I wanted to convert up from Stormfiends). If the price is cheaper or close to the price of the rest of the parts that I do want (Dragoon, Ruststalkers, Kataphrons), then I'll also have a ton of stuff to convert with.

The discussion I have seen definitely puts the Tau as the most game ready of the sets.

More
15 Nov 2016 11:53 - 15 Nov 2016 11:56 #238452 by barrowdown
War of Sigmar updated their post with images for AoS sets.

Looks like Stormcast also has 5 Retributors.

Sylvaneth has a Hamadreth and not Drycha. This set is pretty great value-wise.

The other two sets look like they were accurate.

LINK
Last edit: 15 Nov 2016 11:56 by barrowdown.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
15 Nov 2016 13:49 #238469 by metalface13

barrowdown wrote: I'm looking at the Mechanicus one because I am thinking Dark Mechanicus with Iron Warriors will be what I do after I finish up the Daemons. However, it has electro priests (which I do not like the look of and are apparently garbage in-game) and Kastelan robots (which I wanted to convert up from Stormfiends). If the price is cheaper or close to the price of the rest of the parts that I do want (Dragoon, Ruststalkers, Kataphrons), then I'll also have a ton of stuff to convert with.

I approve of this project. Also, if you don't want the electro-priests I might be interested in them for Necromunda conversions.

More
15 Nov 2016 14:59 - 15 Nov 2016 15:01 #238480 by barrowdown

metalface13 wrote:

barrowdown wrote: I'm looking at the Mechanicus one because I am thinking Dark Mechanicus with Iron Warriors will be what I do after I finish up the Daemons. However, it has electro priests (which I do not like the look of and are apparently garbage in-game) and Kastelan robots (which I wanted to convert up from Stormfiends). If the price is cheaper or close to the price of the rest of the parts that I do want (Dragoon, Ruststalkers, Kataphrons), then I'll also have a ton of stuff to convert with.

I approve of this project. Also, if you don't want the electro-priests I might be interested in them for Necromunda conversions.

Okay, I'll let you know. I still need to see a discount price on the bundle to see if it is worth it to pick up instead of grabbing the individual units I want.

I just do not see much potential in the priests for me to salvage. They have a very similar body to Dark Eldar Wracks, which I was already planning on pilfering for parts.
Last edit: 15 Nov 2016 15:01 by barrowdown.

More
15 Nov 2016 15:08 #238484 by Michael Barnes
Ah, I didn't realize that Treelord kit was the same for Durthu...well, that is great then because I will have two of those kits and can pick what I want there. The only thing I think I'll need beyond that for now is another Wildwood or two and maybe a pack of Dryads. Maybe Arialle if I get ambitious. Will definitely do one set of Kurnoth with bows, maybe the others with the scythes.

The Stormcast box is sort of a bust, I think...the Paladins help, but they should have ditched the Liberators in favor of Judicators. The Dracoths and the Celestant Prime would be the only things in it I don't already have covered. Granted, the Dracoths are pretty big things.

More
15 Nov 2016 15:18 #238490 by metalface13

barrowdown wrote: I just do not see much potential in the priests for me to salvage. They have a very similar body to Dark Eldar Wracks, which I was already planning on pilfering for parts.

I'm thinking Redemptionists for Necromunda.

More
21 Nov 2016 18:10 #238906 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic Let's Talk About Age of Sigmar
It is decided, I'm getting Age of Sigmar starter.
Some questions about warscrolls. From what I saw they're sheets of paper, not cards. How do you manage them during the game? Put them in a binder? Wouldn't it be easier if the warscrolls were cards?

More
21 Nov 2016 19:11 #238911 by Michael Barnes
Ha ha ha. Of course it would.

The Warscrolls, as it stands, are only in the books and also on the AoS app. The little Storm of Sigmar box has cards for Liberators, Retributors, Blood Warriors and Bloodreavers but that's all, so there is hope that maybe they will do a deck of these or something for each faction at some point. But as of today...you are flipping through the books or using the app. Or copying them.

The App is pretty handy so we've mostly just used it. You can save everything that is in your game to a battle page and flip through them there. It is definitely better to do so with a tablet or large phone, but a small screen phone works fine. Starting out, you will quickly pick up on the abilities and certain standards (Shields reroll 1s on a save, dual weapons reroll 1s on hits, etc.). But do expect a lot of referencing and forgetting things like how the Blood Warriors get that nasty parting shot if they get slain.

My son and I had a great battle Saturday morning. We didn't point it out, we just put some stuff out and played. He had Stormcast, I had Khorne "Battle"bound. Simple "KO (not kill) the general" thing. On my left flank, he sent the Prosecutors up onto this hill and pelted the Blood Warriors on that side with their Celestial Hammers and then he decided (unwisely, really, since there were 20 Bloodreavers over there too) to go after the Blood Warriors with the Decimators. Those guys get an attack for every model in range, so they are crowd control. Nontheless, those Starsoul Maces just blew my BWs apart. But they took out two Decimators on the way. The Bloodreavers tried to swarm around the left of the Dragonfate Dais (which was "deadly" per the random terrain setup, we didn't use its warscroll) but got gummed up by some LIberators that refused to die...even though I had a Bloodsecrator over there that stacked with the Reavers ability when they are a near a totem gave each of those bastards 3 attacks EACH. I had a 22 dice attack with rerolls on 1 and still couldn't cut through those guys due to crap luck. On the right side, he put his Judicators in a good spot (under advisement) and just whiffed repeatedly shooting at the Khorgorath and the Bloodstoker on that side, even with the Shockbolt bow that I have on the Prime, hits on 2 and does D6 wounds. That thing is SICK. 24" range on it too.

So, he parked the Lord-Celestant on Dracoth behind the Dais and started using its breath weapon. The Bloodstoker (uh, "Battlestoker") whipped the Khorgorath into charging. It attacked the Lord-Celestant and missed. Lord-Celestant smashed him with the Tempestos Hammer, Dracoth bit him for the coup de grace.

The Reavers finally cut through the Liberators, but it was too late. I had parked the Mighty Lord of Khorne in the Ophidian Archway (again, not using its full rules), he flew the Prosecutors down there and just hammered him. Didn't KO him, those Decimators with the Starsoul maces finished him off with those D3 mortal wounds.

I didn't play to win, of course, but it was a lot of fun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sevej, Vlad

More
22 Nov 2016 17:13 #238963 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic Let's Talk About Age of Sigmar
Thanks, Michael, I got the app. What I find kinda disgusting is that most content is locked, like the most outrageous free-to-play. I'm surprised they have not included some diamond currency to get it. I have to admire the GW's entrepreneurial spirit, though.
Other than that, I think that the app thing might actually be an improvement over cards, because less clutter.

More
22 Nov 2016 17:40 #238966 by barrowdown

Vlad wrote: Thanks, Michael, I got the app. What I find kinda disgusting is that most content is locked, like the most outrageous free-to-play. I'm surprised they have not included some diamond currency to get it. I have to admire the GW's entrepreneurial spirit, though.
Other than that, I think that the app thing might actually be an improvement over cards, because less clutter.

I thought all of the basic unit stats were free. It was just the Battalions that they wanted you to buy (otherwise, how would they get people to buy the pretty books?).

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.247 seconds