October 09, 2023
2460 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2662 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Let's Talk About Age of Sigmar

More
16 Dec 2016 19:37 #240830 by Michael Barnes
Man, I am really fighting the urge to order a second Spire of Dawn...at that price, it's almost foolish not to...and then make back at least half of it by selling the pieces you can only field one of on eBay. I've been reading up on the scrolls, I'm thinking that you have got to have more Seaguard/Spireguard...but then I'm also thinking of filling out at least 1000 points with other Stormhawk Agents, maybe Shadow Warriors and a Skycutter. As for the Skaven, I've always wanted one of those Warp Lightning cannons and I have the Grey Seer from Silver Tower...but there again, an extra massive pile of Clan Rats is definitely desirable.

Dan's still hasn't gotten the Battleforce boxes yet, GW appears to be backed up...not really worried about it, it's not like I need my Sylvaneth army RIGHT NOW and I don't have some 200+ miiniatures to paint in front of it. I just realized too that I have over 2000 points in that army with just two purchases under $200.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Dec 2016 23:53 #240839 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic Let's Talk About Age of Sigmar
I've passed the link to the Spire of Dawn to a friend who is really psyched about it (he played warhammer extensively in the past century, so that old world vibe has finally convinced him to get into AoS), so I don't think I'll be getting it. In any case, I just acquired a squad of Wrathmongers. Can't wait to try them.

More
17 Dec 2016 01:07 #240843 by Michael Barnes
Were they already built? Because you can make Skullreapers with that kit too...I liked them a little better, I gave them the crazy demon weapons...

More
17 Dec 2016 03:04 #240844 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic Let's Talk About Age of Sigmar
I wanted to build skullreapers, but my son made a very good aesthetic argument in favor of wrathmongers (basically that he liked these bad guys way better than the other bad guys).
And in my skirmish this week, I missed a 2" range. I think these guys will have great synergy with bloodwarrriors and bloodreavers. Now that I'm on it, the mephisto red skin and chains look super cool.

More
19 Dec 2016 11:06 #240926 by fastbilly1
Spire of Dawn is way to tempting. Especially if that is rack and not a promo price (Dans price withstanding). Though I already have a large amount of Skaven, now I can have themed Skaven armies. What is the army point balance for a fair game? Is it still around 2k?

I am going to have to wait to buy it though, I broke one of my cameras recently and I have a big job scheduled for Q1 next year.

More
20 Dec 2016 20:39 #241071 by ufe20
Looks like we're getting Tzeentch stuff early next year so I can finish fleshing out my Silver Tower set. Those Tzaangors on disks look awesome.

More
20 Dec 2016 20:45 #241072 by Michael Barnes
Yeah...I see that. Well, shit. Failed the saving throw. One of each box please.

There is also a new board game, Gangs of Commoragh. So obviously Dark Eldar figure into that. Or is it how they are going to do Necromunda????

More
20 Dec 2016 21:08 - 20 Dec 2016 21:09 #241074 by barrowdown
I've pretty much dedicated my GW love to 40k, but that Tzaangor on disc is awesome. (And Mechanicus finally gets a unique character! A perfect time for me to have started that army.)

I'm really hoping the Dark Eldar game is Necromunda-esque or a racing game. This also explains why they had the in-depth fluff article on Commoragh a couple months ago in WD.
Last edit: 20 Dec 2016 21:09 by barrowdown.

More
20 Dec 2016 21:28 #241075 by Michael Barnes
Well, the word "breakneck" appears to be on it so I thought racing too.

More
21 Dec 2016 23:43 - 21 Dec 2016 23:44 #241151 by metalface13
I would play any skirmish game if it had a campaign system on par with Necromunda or Mordheim, it could be about Imperium scribes shelving dusty data slates for all I care.

Damn, look at all those Tzeentch dudes ...

Edit: OMG look at that condor thing flying off that acolyte's arm! #daddywants
Last edit: 21 Dec 2016 23:44 by metalface13.

More
21 Dec 2016 23:48 #241152 by Michael Barnes
I know, right? If you have Silver Tower you already have the makings of a Tzeentch army, which makes it an even easier decision.

More
22 Dec 2016 09:24 #241165 by ufe20
Going to try to hold out for a Tzeentch themed Start Collecting. Figured they would have released one last year as an unofficial Silver Tower expansion but since they didn't I'm hoping they throw something together at some point next year. Until then, I've got some Khorne and hopefully some elves/skaven to work on

More
06 Jan 2017 15:24 #241911 by barrowdown
I finished book 3 of the Age of Sigmar series, Hammers of Sigmar. It has two novellas:

Stormcast by Darius Hinks, which is decent and has some awesomely over the top stuff like fighting on a bridge that at night becomes too close to the moon and all combatants are pulled towards the moon's gravity. The combatants fight while chained to the bridge so they don't die. It has a bit more world building as it features Death-aligned characters. It's probably the best read of the AoS novellas so far.

Scion of the Storm by CL Werner, which is not good. It has some cool location ideas in it, but it is not a very enjoyable read.

More
06 Jan 2017 15:38 #241912 by Michael Barnes
Hopefully they will do something with the Tzeentch stuff coming out that is more psychedelic/interesting.

I've got to get cracking on my two new armies. Since two more are coming. I started building Sylvaneth, having finally gotten the Battlleforce and the Start Collecting in over the holidays. They are definitely more difficult and modeling-heavy than Stormcast, that's for sure. I built the Treelord Ancient, that was a really fun build (about 2 hours) and the figure is just outrageous. The Tree Revenants were a PITA, the way the tree parts fit over the fleshy/aelfy parts kind of doesn't work that well. Dryads are simple, but they have this branch on their back that I've been struggling with a bit. The Battleforce plus Start Collecting is just a terrific way to start an army. Fully playable with everything, over 1k points, two batallions out of the box.

Should be playing a game or two this weekend with a friend that's gotten into it because of me...I wish he weren't going with Stormcast so I could have an opponent with a different army, but so it goes.

More
06 Jan 2017 16:39 #241915 by barrowdown
They have had Tzeentch stuff in the novellas, in fact the only good stuff in Werner's was related to Tzeentchian strangeness. It's just they are so focused on combat that the cool stuff is often just kind of there, like a backdrop in a 2D fighting game. They really need a book that has a generic questing storyline focusing on one or two heroes exploring the weirdness, instead of the Nth version of Stormcast McStormcast fighting interchangeable Chaos warriors/daemons.

I really like the Treelord minis, all three variations look awesome. Revenants, I could pass on. After Tzeentch, Steamhead Duardin are expected to be released soon, so maybe you can get another army for variety. Not having extensively played AoS, do the Battleforces have any garbage units to bulk them up (for example, the Mechanicus set has Electro Priests, which no one would ever play)?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.202 seconds