October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Let's Talk About Age of Sigmar

More
13 Oct 2016 08:52 - 13 Oct 2016 08:53 #236053 by JEM
Replied by JEM on topic Let's Talk About Age of Sigmar
People have only been playing Warhammer for about 30 years. There are real wars that lasted longer so the dark elves could have kept poking at it for a while more. I can play the games and enjoy them, but the new fluff makes the stakes somewhat less than a WWE match.
Last edit: 13 Oct 2016 08:53 by JEM.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Oct 2016 09:02 - 13 Oct 2016 09:18 #236054 by Mr. White
True, and it's a good point that Warhammer has been around for 30 years...how many other games have had this large of a following for as long.

But...it does prevent true worldwide, narrative campaigns. Think back to Storm of Chaos type stuff. GW runs a summer campaign where the results of the players battles provide the narrative results and say the Dark Elves win...what then? Do you wave away that they won, or say they then retreated back to Naggaroth and let the High Elves resettle Ulthuan? Doesn't make sense.

In the new, Orruks can totally wipe out humans in a realm...but there's a handful of other realms that humans can build from.

I agree that clearly the stakes are more when there's less to battle over. At the end of the day, if AoS allows GW to keep producing Warhammer Fantasty I guess it's a win of some degree. Sounded like the old Warhammer Fantasty dried up.
Last edit: 13 Oct 2016 09:18 by Mr. White.

More
13 Oct 2016 09:16 - 13 Oct 2016 09:19 #236055 by JEM
Replied by JEM on topic Let's Talk About Age of Sigmar
Narratively, those campaigns were a terrible mistake. Great fun for the players, and that's fine. I get it. And I totally understand why, commercially, they needed to 40kify WHFB. Gorechosen is the first true GW game I've bought in maybe 20 years and while I was reading the fluff about those four guys I had to wonder who their families were, and what they're even hoping to achieve. The characters become nothing more than ciphers and I'm the kind of person who looks for more context.

I knew "where" Kislev was, and how that related to whatever else was going on.

The main boon to Sigmar was mentioned by Tabletop Minions on his Youtube channel. In WHFB if some kid liked the look of an army, the sales clerk would then tell him about the other $500 of models and rulebooks he needs to play. With Sigmar you can download the rules and be playing the game the same evening with the box of 10 guys you bought*. Still, I'm not sure they had to throw the old fluff under the bus to achieve that, but what do I know? Where I come from Dark Angels wear black.

*This is exactly what got me into 40k when it first came out. WHFB looked like a mountain to climb, and here was this book where I could just buy a box of marines and orks, and write down what the miniatures were holding as weapons and play.
Last edit: 13 Oct 2016 09:19 by JEM.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White, Colorcrayons

More
13 Oct 2016 09:25 #236057 by Mr. White
Great point about the buy in of the new game. True that could have been managed in the old setting. But there's also the copyright issue...GW wanted to lock down their factions. I dunno...it is what it is.

Regarding GORECHOSEN and fluff. It may be the old role-player in me, but for my minis games (BB, DB, DF) I tend to sort of wrap my own fluff around it. My players have atleast read a fluffy paragraph or two that I've provided ahead of time on the game I'm running. I don't mind filling in gaps with my own flavor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JEM

More
13 Oct 2016 09:43 #236059 by Mr. White
So...a little more about AoS fluff...

Apparently, these Stormcast Eternal guys are dead heroes and their spirits are entombed in this armor by Sigmar. Each time they die and are revived a little more of their essence and memory fades away.

There's rumor and speculation what this means long term.

40K has the Chaos Space Marines.

The speculation and hope is that there will be a faction of stormcasts who end up not with Chaos, but with Nagash and Death. Perhaps these are stormcasts who have died so often they have little soul left. Nagash swoops in and promises they can live forever...he'll preserve what they have left if they serve him. Or maybe they have so little left they become like animals hoping Nagash can restore them. I dunno, but the idea is intriguing.

More
14 Oct 2016 09:38 #236156 by Mr. White
So...looking at these 'Start Collecting' sets...

I think I could paint that entire box of Sylvaneth in a weekend. The Silver Tower Branchwych nudged me to look at that faction. But, yeah, they look super easy to paint with some washes.

How does this work though? I have the rules in the 'Getting Started with AoS' magazine. Would I also need that General's compendium, the Sylvaneth battletome, and that Grand Alliance Order books?

More
14 Oct 2016 09:48 #236159 by Michael Barnes
I just got my $80 big box. My god, it's full of sprues. So funny that the rules are on that little 4 pager. The fluff book is really good, there is even a solo scenario. Several of them are smaller engagements.

I watched a tutorial on painting Sylvaneth...it seems more challenging than you think. Getting that natural wood look seems tricky. But yeah, Those guys look amazing.

A couple of Start Collecting boxes is all you need. I believe they come with a warscroll for what you get in the box.

I'm totally getting Seraphon next time I have some funbucks.

More
14 Oct 2016 09:49 - 14 Oct 2016 09:51 #236160 by Mr. White
What set did you get?

I tend to not watch tutorials...but go by 'Mr. White's quick to the table methods'.

Tutorials make me want to spend more time than I can.
Last edit: 14 Oct 2016 09:51 by Mr. White.

More
14 Oct 2016 10:20 #236163 by barrowdown

Mr. White wrote: So...looking at these 'Start Collecting' sets...

I think I could paint that entire box of Sylvaneth in a weekend. The Silver Tower Branchwych nudged me to look at that faction. But, yeah, they look super easy to paint with some washes.

How does this work though? I have the rules in the 'Getting Started with AoS' magazine. Would I also need that General's compendium, the Sylvaneth battletome, and that Grand Alliance Order books?

All you need is the Start Collecting box, it has all the rules for the included figures (which are available online for all AoS figures) and a battalion (formation, not included online).

If you want to add other formations/have more background grab the Sylvaneth battletome.

If you want to do points battles, add the General's Handbook.

If you want to add allies from other related factions, add Grand Alliance: Order.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
14 Oct 2016 10:22 #236165 by Mr. White
The last line is what I don't get.

If I wanted to add Stormcasts (example)...why wouldn't I just buy the Stormcast battletome? All their stats and fluff would be there right? Or does this Grand aLliance book have all the stats across the factions...I don't need specific battletomes? I guess with my limited understanding it feels like p[potential redundant information.

More
14 Oct 2016 10:30 - 14 Oct 2016 10:31 #236168 by barrowdown

Mr. White wrote: The last line is what I don't get.

If I wanted to add Stormcasts (example)...why wouldn't I just buy the Stormcast battletome? All their stats and fluff would be there right? Or does this Grand aLliance book have all the stats across the factions...I don't need specific battletomes? I guess with my limited understanding it feels like p[potential redundant information.

Grand Alliance books are very cheap and cover a lot of different factions. I'm not sure how many battalions the Grand Alliance books actually include. Battalions tend to be unique to each book and are not available online. So yes, Stormcast battletome and GA: Order would have a lot of overlap on Stormcast units, but might have different battalions. Stormcast would have a lot more focus on Stormcast and GA: Order would obviously not be able to focus as much, but if you wanted to add warrior priests down the road...

Edit: Missed the fluff line. If you want fluff, the GA books barely contain any fluff at all.
Last edit: 14 Oct 2016 10:31 by barrowdown.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
14 Oct 2016 11:31 - 14 Oct 2016 11:32 #236179 by Gary Sax
I'd have a hard time resisting a legit lizardman rerelease in AoS, if nothing else to try getting these shaky ass hands back into painting. But right now they're just using kind of tired ass old Lizardman sculpts.

The whole product line is poorly thought out in how it's explained. It's hard to understand how the whole package works.
Last edit: 14 Oct 2016 11:32 by Gary Sax.

More
19 Oct 2016 08:22 #236465 by Mr. White
I was looking at the Sylvaneth starters because it appears so easy to paint. I think I could knock out the whole box in a weekend.

Put I came across the fluff for the Flesh Eater Courts. It appears that GW snuck in a bit of their Old World dark humor with this faction. Apparently, these ghouls are deranged and insane (likely from their diet) and believe they are one of the true last hold-outs of civilized man. They think they are knights in shining armor and the last line against chaos. Clever stuff and fun fluff.

More
19 Oct 2016 11:25 #236476 by Michael Barnes
You might want to wait. There is talk that the Start Collecting boxes are getting an overhaul. They are going up to $135 retail but you will be getting pretty much a full army.

More
19 Oct 2016 11:42 #236477 by barrowdown

Michael Barnes wrote: You might want to wait. There is talk that the Start Collecting boxes are getting an overhaul. They are going up to $135 retail but you will be getting pretty much a full army.

I thought the rumor was that was just for their annual holiday army boxes. $135 is a substantial reduction from their usual $200-300 price

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.420 seconds