October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Games Workshop Turned the Corner (BB)

More
27 Oct 2016 15:38 - 27 Oct 2016 16:10 #237059 by Mr. White
So, it looks like GW is allowing famed indy BB online store Comixinos to sell the new BB box set online. They're taking pre-orders soon.

This is huge for several reasons:
1) For about a decade GW has refused online sellers to sell their product via webstores.
2) Comixinos carries all the independent BB mini lines. GW is putting their official game there and are totally cool with the 3rd parties. There are no demands to stop selling 3rd party products.

This continues a list of recent practices that have seen them turn toward being a more fan friendly company. It would be interesting to know if this, Essen, the website, etc were plans all along for BB or in reaction to the lost relationship with FFG. My gut still tells me GW was already trying to correct the ship and it was Asmodee/FFG who wanted out. Not sure why I'm bringing that old discussion up, but yeah, GW...playing nicer online.
Last edit: 27 Oct 2016 16:10 by Mr. White.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Oct 2016 16:31 #237061 by the_jake_1973
I would love to see them allow the MBBL email league come back to life. I miss playing that way.

More
27 Oct 2016 17:37 #237066 by Michael Barnes
Wow, that is...interesting. I think the leadership at GW has had a significant turnaround and I suspect that their partnership with FFG has sort of led to some different thinking about how they market/sell their products. I think they are becoming more aware that this sort of top-to-bottom sales model isn't working anymore and that with other options (like X-Wing) out there, they have to more competitive to attract and retain players. Runewars is going to be a VERY interesting factor- if that takes off like X-Wing...GW is going to have to counter with SOMETHING.

It's clear that GW is trying to be responsive- releasing stuff like the Genestealer Cults, doing stuff like the Custodes in Battle of Prospero, bringing back stuff like BB and Adeptus Titanicus...I think they are sort of going through this change there right now and in the next two years we'll really see the fruits of it as this new direction matures. Think about Gorechosen- there's ONE little thing about that is kind of a subtle indicator of growth- it comes with a molded tray for the figures and components. They aren't just sloshing around in the box. I can't think of any other GW game that has this, including the other things they've released this year. And it's a $60 box, not a $150 one.

Then there's the General's Handbook. Folks complained about no points in AoS. They gave them points. AND for all the old WHFB stuff too. This is a more reactive company that it was just two years ago.

They are also catching up with things third parties have been doing for years...like the sculptural bases and playmats.

As for BB...I really wonder if this is going to be regular distribution. With it showing at Essen, I think that suggests that it is going to be more widely available than at GW stores and select retailers. If GW was looking at moving into wider distribution, that would be another potential factor in the FFG split- because they would be in a direct conflict of interest with ANA.
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13, Msample

More
27 Oct 2016 17:55 - 27 Oct 2016 17:56 #237069 by barrowdown

Michael Barnes wrote: Wow, that is...interesting. I think the leadership at GW has had a significant turnaround

I assume you are aware that they changed CEOs in early 2015. Based on what I assume is a required 12-18 month lead time to push products out, Rountree (the new CEO) is probably behind a lot of the new changes and more open approach. Tom Kirby, the previous CEO, had been the main controller for a long time (cycling between CEO and Chairman since the early 90s) and being both the Chairman and CEO starting at the end of 2012.

So far, everything under Rountree has looked to be pretty solid steps towards a better company (at least to me as a consumer).
Last edit: 27 Oct 2016 17:56 by barrowdown.

More
27 Oct 2016 17:57 #237070 by Michael Barnes
Oh yes, Rountree is definitely a major factor here, as is the decline of Kirby.

More
27 Oct 2016 18:23 - 27 Oct 2016 18:26 #237075 by Mr. White
I think a huge gesture of goodwill would be to allow Tom Anders to also sell online via his Impact! shop.

I believe his family has been hit with medical bills recently and with all he did to develop and promote bb during the dark years...it would be nice to direct new traffic to his site.
Last edit: 27 Oct 2016 18:26 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: birdman37, the_jake_1973

More
27 Oct 2016 19:23 #237076 by SuperflyPete
To be clear - you can buy all kinds of GW shit online...you just have to call or email for pricing.

More
28 Oct 2016 08:18 - 28 Oct 2016 08:20 #237098 by Mr. White

Michael Barnes wrote: Runewars is going to be a VERY interesting factor- if that takes off like X-Wing...GW is going to have to counter with SOMETHING.

I might just eat a hat if the Runewars minis game were to take off like X-wing. No way do I expect it to hit those sort of sales. I'm actually of the mind that it's not going to do very well, but it'll be interesting to watch. And if GW does need to counter with something...how about a rebooted 40K?
Last edit: 28 Oct 2016 08:20 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
28 Oct 2016 09:36 #237102 by JEM
Nobody cares about Runewars. Runewhat?

More
28 Oct 2016 13:29 #237134 by Hex Sinister
I dunno, I think it looks pretty good. I think it's going to appeal to a lot more people than some of the other odd shit they tried to promote such as AT-43 and their other, earlier failed attempts like Mutant What-the-fuck, etc. The ones that are eternally on clearance bins.

More
28 Oct 2016 15:05 #237140 by metalface13

JEM wrote: Nobody cares about Runewars. Runewhat?

I dunno, Runewars the board game made quite a few appearances on last season of Orphan Black.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob

More
28 Oct 2016 15:37 #237144 by JEM
Because one guy on the production team is a board game fan. I'm being glib, but I don't see any mass appeal in the Rune* IP.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
28 Oct 2016 15:59 #237149 by metalface13

JEM wrote: Because one guy on the production team is a board game fan. I'm being glib, but I don't see any mass appeal in the Rune* IP.

I know, I totally agree. I think the success of the Runewars miniatures game will hinge on any innovations FFG brings to the table top format, not the IP. I don't think they're going to hit the highs of X-Wing or Armada because Star Wars of course, but could it be in the same category as Warmachine, Infinity or Malifaux? Maybe.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JEM

More
28 Oct 2016 16:00 #237150 by Msample

SuperflyTNT wrote: To be clear - you can buy all kinds of GW shit online...you just have to call or email for pricing.

Better than nothing, but in this day and age, that's pretty clunky . And I can't remember the last time I saw a product/category that had those kind of restrictions . Just list it online like everyone else along with price and enforce a MAP policy , like a lot of other brands.

More
28 Oct 2016 17:37 #237158 by Hex Sinister

metalface13 wrote:

JEM wrote: Because one guy on the production team is a board game fan. I'm being glib, but I don't see any mass appeal in the Rune* IP.

I know, I totally agree. I think the success of the Runewars miniatures game will hinge on any innovations FFG brings to the table top format, not the IP. I don't think they're going to hit the highs of X-Wing or Armada because Star Wars of course, but could it be in the same category as Warmachine, Infinity or Malifaux? Maybe.

I'll agree as well that the Rune IP is the weak area but still I think a lot of people are at least familiar with it. Someone like myself who's come up from Descent, Runebound, Runewars, and BattleLore 2. Is there anybody here who hasn't played at least one of these? Warmachine? I know of it but it looks like a flavor of steampunk that I dislike. A couple friends tried to get me into Infinity but I had to look it up and it really didn't do much for me. If it weren't for them I'd never have heard about it. Warhammer always seemed daunting and expensive so I never got to try it. But generic fantasy, even watered down, has a lot of appeal to folks. But yeah it's probably going to live or die by the mechanics and the value of the box sets.
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.221 seconds