October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

MDF Buildings?

More
19 Mar 2017 20:47 #245374 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic MDF Buildings?
JR Miniatures Middle East

And plasticville

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob, barrowdown

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Mar 2017 20:49 #245375 by SuperflyPete
More WIP Warsenal

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, engelstein, barrowdown

More
20 Mar 2017 11:35 #245400 by SuperflyPete
On that last one, one might ask "Silver and Gold???"

On solar panels I use a basecoat of shiny gold and then go over with a thin black. On metal walls I mean to weather, I start with metallic silver and then apply a 4 color treatment. The Junkyard and Command Center are done the same way.

That Hexagon/Terraclips post-apoc fortress has the same thing, but I started with copper which is why you see the metallic copper looking undercoat shining through. I wanted that one to look like it was once a bronze fortress that had decayed after nuclear holocaust.

More
20 Mar 2017 11:52 #245403 by barrowdown
Replied by barrowdown on topic MDF Buildings?
I assumed the Terraclips was just some really good sponging/drybrushing to get that effect. What colors did you build up to get the rust/patina look?

More
20 Mar 2017 12:09 #245411 by SuperflyPete
Oh hell no. That's 100% brushing, and almost no drybrushing. To be honest, I've never used a sponge to paint anything, ever, aside from walls in my home.

Started with a basecoat of "Hammered Copper" spray paint.
Followed by brown, then orange, then red, then watery black. Finished it up by dabbing a mixture of red, orange, and brown on some spots to break up the color. Then 2 coats of clear matte and bada bing bada boom. The base is made of this plastic my buddy gives me, which is for suspended ceiling lighting. Like, office lighting with the drop ceiling? That clear shit. I scuff the shit out of it with 60 grit, paint it a base color, douse it with Mod Podge mixture (3:1 water & PVA glue) and then pour sand or whatever I'm using over it. Then I press it all down and let it dry, then I go over it again with the PVA mix to seal it in. Then clearcoat. BAM!

More
20 Mar 2017 12:54 #245415 by fastbilly1
Replied by fastbilly1 on topic MDF Buildings?

SuperflyTNT wrote: If you're looking for "American city" type terrain you can get Plasticville stuff on eBay for cheap and it always seems to be on clearance at model train sites. I have a massive amount of it.

Just make sure you get the right scale Plasticville stuff. Bachmann released it in 1:48 (O) and 1:64 (S). S works well for 10mm, since it is the step between HO and O. I ended up buying a lot of S gauge thinking it was O...

More
20 Mar 2017 17:29 #245422 by blatz
Replied by blatz on topic MDF Buildings?
I just bought a bunch of urban scenery for the Batman Miniatures Game from TTCombat. Reasonably priced and looks great but the shipping prices were outrageous.

More
20 Mar 2017 19:49 #245425 by SuperflyPete
FFG always dumps their Dust Tactics shit at the end of the year too. I have 5 small buildings and 2 sets of Operations cerberus terrain. Got the Cerberus for 25 and the small buildings for like 15 each. Have yet to build them but they're here with my 3 remaining Plasticville boxes awaiting assembly.

Another cool and unknown company is Proxie Models. They have cheap shit and really unique stuff like billboards

More
28 Mar 2017 00:15 #245682 by blatz
This is a bunch of MDF scenery I just bought from TTCombat along with a homemade board for the Batman Miniatures Game. Once I get it all painted up it should look pretty great!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13, Colorcrayons, barrowdown

More
28 Mar 2017 10:45 #245694 by barrowdown
Those look great. What did you use for the board? It looks awesome!

More
28 Mar 2017 15:12 #245714 by blatz
Thanks man. It's just a piece of 4x4 MDF board from the hardware store that I cut to 3x3. I used thick poster board that I cut up for the raised areas. The street is just sand glued down and painted over.

More
10 Apr 2017 15:05 #246292 by barrowdown
My big box o' Warsenal arrived today in a very heavy box reeking of ash. I'm very excited.

I'm going to start with the easier items and then work my way up. First up will be the blank support structures that fit inside the cardboard Infinity starter terrain to give it weight and support. I think I can handle gluing boxes together with little issue. The first "real" stuff will be the packs of Comanche scatter terrain as it is tiny and can be easily added to the starter mat and buildings for some extra detail.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, Colorcrayons

More
10 Apr 2017 21:20 - 10 Apr 2017 23:37 #246305 by barrowdown
First couple of support structures built. I would have finished the set, but my rubber bands were mostly shot and tore. I'll grab a bag tomorrow to finish the rest.

It went together very easily. As it doesn't have a base, it won't hold itself together without glue. It's a snug fit so when dry it should be very resilient.
Last edit: 10 Apr 2017 23:37 by barrowdown.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
10 Apr 2017 22:25 #246315 by Colorcrayons
Replied by Colorcrayons on topic MDF Buildings?
After pouring over a lot of options suggested in this thread, I'm of the mind that the Comanche sets from warsenal are likely the Cadillac of mdf terrain sets for walkways due to modularity. I really like the price of the starter too. I think that for about $200 you could get a decent terrain table with various scattered terrain and a couple buildings that offers two to three levels of terrain height.

It definitely beats out the new GW plastic terrain sets since they aren't so specific that you're always fighting in an ad mech boiler room. That and the price makes it a no brainier.

More
10 Apr 2017 22:47 - 10 Apr 2017 22:56 #246316 by barrowdown
I have a Comanche starter in the box too (the one with buildings). It looks to be a really solid mix of stuff.

Edit: it also gives me some simpler structures to build and paint before the more elaborate stuff.
Last edit: 10 Apr 2017 22:56 by barrowdown.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.498 seconds