October 09, 2023
2218 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2438 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Necromunda: Underhive

More
09 Mar 2018 09:53 #265183 by GorillaGrody
Replied by GorillaGrody on topic Necromunda: Underhive
I've never had a harder time learning a game than this one. This isn't because the rules are so complex, but because:

1) I have the rule sets from Oldmunda and Shadow War in my head. I keep looking for rules in Newmunda that aren't there, and have to read the book through to ensure they're not there.
2) The rules are scattered everywhere. Rules reference (with typos). Character sheets (with typos). Don't get me started on the typos in the simple-rules-you-won't-ever-play-again vs the incomplete-rules-you-need-to-read-the-simple-rules-to-understand. Gang War rules. Gang War II rules. I spent 15 minutes the other night trying to figure out how tactics cards work, how many go into a deck, etc, and I'm still not sure. Now, the FAQ is out. I'm going to have to sort through the rules and make my own document before proceeding in the future.
3) Which one is Korg, again? Who's Kumala? Why does this shotgun not look like that other shotgun? The figures are unreadable at a glance
. I eventually printed their names on little labels and stuck them to the bottom of their bases.
4) I guess, most importantly, I can't find other players interested enough in trying it out with me.

If I didn't find the boards and figures so useful for other projects, this game would have been on the block in a second.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Mar 2018 10:20 #265188 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Necromunda: Underhive
The rulebook issue is enormous and a huge downside to this game. We now have 3 rulebooks with Gang War I and II and there are more coming. They should be consolidated eventually, but that may take another year and will cost more money. It's a bummer.

More
09 Mar 2018 10:31 #265189 by GorillaGrody
On the flipside, the new White Dwarf has rules for Genestealer Cults in Necromunda, which was just the barest excuse I needed to go pick up a set.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Mr. White

More
09 Mar 2018 10:34 - 09 Mar 2018 10:42 #265190 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Necromunda: Underhive

GorillaGrody wrote: On the flipside, the new White Dwarf has rules for Genestealer Cults in Necromunda, which was just the barest excuse I needed to go pick up a set.

There's also a WD article on how to use Genestealer Cults in Space Hulk.
40K, Shadow War, Necromunda, Space Hulk
High returns on an investment in those models.
Last edit: 09 Mar 2018 10:42 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GorillaGrody

More
09 Mar 2018 12:01 #265195 by Michael Barnes
They are also really great models, the kit is really fun and they have a super cool 1970s sci-fi tone about them. All that padding on the mining suits, I guess. .I love the Neophyte Hybrid kit. I think you _may_ be able to field a full gang using the GSC models in Deathwatch: Overkill if you have it.

I have all of the GWII releases. The Orlocks are a really great kit, but I'm not that into their whole thing...never really cared for them. I was always a Cawdor man. The Badzone tiles are awesome- they add a lot of cool special areas with different rules...IF YOU HAVE THE GWII RULEBOOK. It's fucking stupid, but it's also kind of unavoidable. Because of the way the game is presented, if you are not playing the Zone Mortalis way (which I think is the best way), then the tiles are irrelevant and you don't need them. There are a couple of Sector Mechanicus rules options for them. But if you are playing ZM, then you have to buy two products to get it all. Same with the Orlocks and their cards. That kit should come with their cards. It's obnoxious that you have to buy them separately, their unique cards are part of what make them play differently than Escher or Goliath.

More
09 Mar 2018 13:53 #265204 by ufe20
Replied by ufe20 on topic Necromunda: Underhive

Mr. White wrote:

GorillaGrody wrote: On the flipside, the new White Dwarf has rules for Genestealer Cults in Necromunda, which was just the barest excuse I needed to go pick up a set.

Which issue of WD is this in? Not that I need to be picking up more models or anything.

More
09 Mar 2018 14:04 #265205 by GorillaGrody

ufe20 wrote:

Mr. White wrote:

Which issue of WD is this in? Not that I need to be picking up more models or anything.

March 2018, on shelves now. The Space Hulk stuff was in December 2017.

More
10 Mar 2018 15:36 #265280 by GorillaGrody

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.414 seconds