October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Thoughts on SW: Legions?

More
23 Jan 2018 08:29 #261783 by edulis
What are peoples thoughts on FFG's new miniatures game?

I have a bunch of Hirst Arts space station rooms/parts/hallways, made over the years- I was originally attempting to make a 3D map for Awful Green Things- I enjoy making the terrain (and the kids like setting it up), but other than a few games of Warmachine and Necromunda have never been used for actual gaming. Seeing the leak of the Rebel fleet troopers has me excited to have a game that will hopefully have local players to use the terrain with. I know the minis are a larger scale but it should still work, right?

I am thinking of jumping into Legions and really hope there will be some players switching from 40K to Legions at the FLGS.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jan 2018 08:47 #261784 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Thoughts on SW: Legions?
A Star Wars game with miniatures? Didn't see that coming.

This is the sixth or seventh?
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete, Frohike

More
23 Jan 2018 08:57 #261785 by Count Orlok
I don't know. It seems to me like FFG is either spreading itself dangerously thin or just keeps throwing loads of product at the wall to see what sticks. Remember the sure-fire hit of the Star Wars LCG? Discontinued. Surely the second edition of Battlelore will take this time, not like the first nor the Game of Thrones iteration. Flash sale! What about the Runewars miniatures game? Has anyone seen that let alone played it? There's so much pent up demand for Legend of the Five Rings that it will be a smash success! And so on.

I don't claim to understand the FFG business model, but it seems that the slow drip of licensed product must be working somehow. I can't imagine this taking off unless they kill X-Wing and Armada, but all three concurrently? Seems dicey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries, Sagrilarus, Mr. White, Frohike

More
23 Jan 2018 09:01 #261786 by edulis
Replied by edulis on topic Thoughts on SW: Legions?
Fair point, but this is the closest thing to a 40K style table top miniatures game, with infantry, vehicles, commanders and squad building rules. At least since the old West End game anyway. I've been following the little previews and like the look of the rules so far. Seems to be a mix of X-wing forced movement templates and more open troop movement.

Plus FFG has a pretty good record of supporting their Star Wars projects and certainly have the fans to bring about a successful game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
23 Jan 2018 09:05 #261787 by Count Orlok
But is there really demand for more 40k style games? Between Age of Sigmar, 40k, and Warmachine, it seems like the market is pretty full up. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm skeptical.

More
23 Jan 2018 09:05 #261788 by Michael Barnes
I’ll be reviewing it at Miniature Market, but I don’t see it going very far.

The problem for me, aside from the pretty meh rules that I’ve seen so far, is terrain. SW doesn’t really work with all of my Grimdark/Mortal Realms stuff. And I am not looking to invest in or expand into a new terrain collection that will reflexively not work with 40k/AOS.

Sure, you can use whatever. But it’s Star Wars, and it it doesn’t look like Hoth/Endor/Tatooine/Crait/whatever then I’m not as interested.

There is also the whole “do I really want to get into this when I have 7 40k armies” thing.

And now that I’m more into the modeling, I’m also not as interested in the one piece gum ball machine figures.

All that said, if this was prepainted and they were doing terrain pieces, I’d be much more enthusiastic about it.

Really don’t think it’s going to draw either the X-Wing or 40k crowd in for similar reasons. Will probably be slightly more popular than the Runewars miniatures game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
23 Jan 2018 09:07 #261789 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Thoughts on SW: Legions?
I agree on the FFG cycle mentioned above.

Not a 40K player, but I hear the new edition is fantastic and as long as there's a GW there will be a 40K.

From my table, the smart money is to play 40K for your sci-fi minis kicks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ufe20

More
23 Jan 2018 09:12 - 23 Jan 2018 09:14 #261790 by edulis

Michael Barnes wrote: I’ll be reviewing it at Miniature Market, but I don’t see it going very far.

The problem for me, aside from the pretty meh rules that I’ve seen so far, is terrain. SW doesn’t really work with all of my Grimdark/Mortal Realms stuff. And I am not looking to invest in or expand into a new terrain collection that will reflexively not work with 40k/AOS.

Sure, you can use whatever. But it’s Star Wars, and it it doesn’t look like Hoth/Endor/Tatooine/Crait/whatever then I’m not as interested.

There is also the whole “do I really want to get into this when I have 7 40k armies” thing.

And now that I’m more into the modeling, I’m also not as interested in the one piece gum ball machine figures.

Looking forward to the review.

Aren't the miniatures, at least the dudes, un-assembled? So you can do some modeling?

I haven't played 40K since 2nd edition, but I have been heavy into X-wing and am wiling to add this to the rotation. I eyed Imperial Assault, but felt that was too much like X-wing in skirmish mode and I don't have a lot of interest in one against many games.
Last edit: 23 Jan 2018 09:14 by edulis.

More
23 Jan 2018 09:18 #261791 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Thoughts on SW: Legions?
The dudes are assembled but the vehicles are in a couple of parts.

I played a couple of turns at Gen Con and enjoyed it. There's something far more satisfying about charging Vader with Luke, flying Speeder Bikes, or deflecting blaster bolts, than there is about firing Plasma Guns and Bolters.

My limited impression was that 40k 8th was a better design, but I did enjoy the activation system in Legion and the minis are great. I really love how the vehicles are legit scaled so the walkers are huge. That's of course also a negative because of storage.

I don't plan on buying into it or keeping up (mostly because of terrain as Barnes says), but I really wish I could just whip it out and re-enact the battle of Hoth at my leisure.

More
23 Jan 2018 09:20 #261792 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Thoughts on SW: Legions?
Chainswords > Lightsabers

;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: birdman37, ufe20

More
23 Jan 2018 09:42 - 23 Jan 2018 09:48 #261795 by edulis
Rulebook

Looks like there is some assembly. But pretty limited.
Last edit: 23 Jan 2018 09:48 by edulis.

More
23 Jan 2018 09:51 #261797 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Thoughts on SW: Legions?

Count Orlok wrote: I don't know. It seems to me like FFG is either spreading itself dangerously thin or just keeps throwing loads of product at the wall to see what sticks. Remember the sure-fire hit of the Star Wars LCG? Discontinued. Surely the second edition of Battlelore will take this time, not like the first nor the Game of Thrones iteration. Flash sale! What about the Runewars miniatures game? Has anyone seen that let alone played it? There's so much pent up demand for Legend of the Five Rings that it will be a smash success! And so on.

I don't claim to understand the FFG business model, but it seems that the slow drip of licensed product must be working somehow. I can't imagine this taking off unless they kill X-Wing and Armada, but all three concurrently? Seems dicey.

The Star Wars card game was only recently discontinued. It had a six year run and a ton of content published. That's a pretty good run, longer than other many other LCG families.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
23 Jan 2018 10:04 #261802 by Michael Barnes
Runewars has some assembly too- but definitely no modeling options. The figures were also teeeeeeeerash.

All considered, I think I would likely buy a Destiny booster box over any Legion stuff.

More
23 Jan 2018 10:06 - 23 Jan 2018 10:06 #261803 by edulis
Sounds like this won't be on the Barnes forever shelf. Can I call dibs on your discarded review copy?
Last edit: 23 Jan 2018 10:06 by edulis.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
23 Jan 2018 10:10 #261805 by Michael Barnes
Ha ha, sure, you can preorder it!

It almost definitely won’t...even though Star Wars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: edulis

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds