October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Thoughts on SW: Legions?

More
23 Mar 2018 08:41 #266227 by edulis
Replied by edulis on topic Thoughts on SW: Legions?
I ordered the core set- its set to arrive on Monday. I am running an x-wing event Saturday at a store that is hosting a release party for legions so I'll try and get in a Demo game or something.

4 of my core gaming buddies have also picked it up, so I'll have people to play it with. I sheepishly admit that I ordered it in part because I have a HirstArts space station that needs Star Wars miniatures in it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Mar 2018 10:14 #266232 by Michael Barnes
BOLS, in a completely not paid for at all advertisment, I mean article, called it “the best game released this year”.

Pete should be getting his review copy soon.

More
23 Mar 2018 10:34 #266237 by Space Ghost
Well, it is early in the year. I am going to start developing games and releasing them to coincide with the New Year -- I will always capture the "best game released this year" moniker.

More
23 Mar 2018 11:14 #266246 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic Thoughts on SW: Legions?
Hmm, while I like the basic concept (group movement, semi random activation), it's still "running down the unit cards for special abilities checklist" game from FFG.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
23 Mar 2018 11:23 #266249 by SuperflyPete
I'll have it Monday. Will advise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3

More
23 Mar 2018 15:34 #266279 by edulis
Replied by edulis on topic Thoughts on SW: Legions?
FFG just announced Rebel commandos (which I thought the pieces in the core set were) and Han Solo commander unit. The commandos look pretty cool with an Admiral Ackbar guy, but the Han sculpts face is pretty bad. Hopeful it is just a bad photo, or paint job. It look nothing like Harrison Ford.

More
23 Mar 2018 16:01 #266282 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Thoughts on SW: Legions?

edulis wrote: FFG just announced Rebel commandos (which I thought the pieces in the core set were) and Han Solo commander unit. The commandos look pretty cool with an Admiral Ackbar guy, but the Han sculpts face is pretty bad. Hopeful it is just a bad photo, or paint job. It look nothing like Harrison Ford.

Does it look like the new guy?

More
23 Mar 2018 20:34 #266300 by Sevej
Hard to say, could be combination of sculpt and painting style. His left side hair doesn't seem to be sculpted correctly though, even when stylized. I find the style of painting changed for the forest dudes and Han.

More
04 Apr 2018 17:07 #266965 by SuperflyPete
I’ve got 2 plays in using proxies because after reading the rules (PDF ONLY, mind you, because it’s clear that the rules will be a living document) and considering the aforementioned, I won’t be keeping it.

Pros:
Star Wars, timer-locked, objective based combat with lots of rolling dice. Variable setups based on card draws. Chit pull to avoid the tank going in every turn and then a slow war of attrition after. Very nice models that are simple to assemble.

Cons:
Not enough dice, not enough rulers, not enough content. You cannot play the game as designed if you buy an 80$ core set, period. The core set is actually a tester set which with you can play a small, small, small variety of the things in the game, and you’ll need to spend about 140$ or so to play an 800 point game as designed, use all the included materials, et al. A line from the impending review: I LIKE THE GAME AS BEST AS I CAN TELL FROM THE LIMITATIONS IMPOSED ON ME BY AN UNDERSTAFFED STARTER SET, BUT THIS UNDERSCORES MY BELIEF THAT FFG HAS BECOME THE EA OF BOARD GAMES, DELIVERING 70% COMPLETE GAMES HOPING TO SELL YOU THE FULL VERSION AS DLC.

There is nothing particularly compelling or novel in the game. It does feel very Star Warsey. They nailed that. But this feels like an extension of the x-wing system, borrowing mechanics from legit hobby war games that will seem mind blowing to the average Armada or X-Wing board gamer who has never played Bolt Action, Firestorm Armada, or other “lifestyle” war games. But to me, it’s nothing really new but a very capable Star Wars skirmish game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample, san il defanso, Brewmiester, hotseatgames, sornars

More
04 Apr 2018 17:54 #266969 by Sevej
But every major miniature games are like that? X-Wing, 40k, AoS, Infinity, Bolt Action... Anything comes to my mind doesn't provide enough models to play as intended. And most are more expensive.

More
04 Apr 2018 19:06 #266973 by SuperflyPete
If you buy a Heroscape box, you have enough to play a full, unabridged game.

I’m looking at this from a boargamer’s perspective HERE but from a wargamers perspective it’s not bad, just not anything special. The card bumps during squad building is where the game is at though.

More
04 Apr 2018 20:10 #266976 by Sevej
I'm not sure the tabletop miniature wargamer folk will consider Heroscape a miniatures game. But sure, from board gamer perspective. Even then, it's just a matter of saying the full game is X points and you can play up to Y points. After all, a Heroscape player is very likely not stopping at the base game only.

The comparison to "EA" is not fair I think, when you compare to miniature game releases. But again, for board gamer, sure.

So, what makes it Star Wars-y?

More
04 Apr 2018 20:30 #266977 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Thoughts on SW: Legions?

edulis wrote: FFG just announced Rebel commandos (which I thought the pieces in the core set were) and Han Solo commander unit. The commandos look pretty cool with an Admiral Ackbar guy, but the Han sculpts face is pretty bad. Hopeful it is just a bad photo, or paint job. It look nothing like Harrison Ford.

Harrison Ford owns the rights to his own likeness, so if you want to do a Hans Solo that looks like him, you have to have a separate contract with him.

More
05 Apr 2018 00:39 #266980 by SuperflyPete
Sevej: the powers, the types of things they do, the way Vader is a fucking monster tank that deals mass damage but is plodding and slow. The way commanders seem to direct fire etc.

It could’ve also been 40K or Starship Troopers or anything but it would require a massive retooling. It’s very Star Warsey in how it feels.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sevej

More
05 Apr 2018 07:46 #266981 by Michael Barnes
Hans Solo? Is he affiliated with Bobba Fett?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds