October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Thoughts on SW: Legions?

More
05 Apr 2018 09:13 #266985 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Thoughts on SW: Legions?

Michael Barnes wrote: Hans Solo? Is he affiliated with Bobba Fett?

My second cousin Hans Erickson was a musician who performed under the name Hans Solo, until he got a cease and desist letter from a Lucasfilm attorney.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Apr 2018 09:27 #266988 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Thoughts on SW: Legions?

Sevej wrote: But every major miniature games are like that? X-Wing, 40k, AoS, Infinity, Bolt Action... Anything comes to my mind doesn't provide enough models to play as intended. And most are more expensive.

I dunno...we played a lot of great scenarios and the full AoS rules with the starter. Seemed like a decent amount to us.

More
05 Apr 2018 10:15 #266994 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Thoughts on SW: Legions?
But when you buy Warhammer, you're buying IP "from the source" whereas from FFG you are buying from a middleman so to speak, who has to pay a licensing fee. So arguably GW can put more stuff in the box per dollar than FFG can. That said, I get the concern that a single core set leads to a less than satisfying game experience. Like how long can a core set of X-Wing amuse you? Ten minutes ? Getting into a minis system is never cheap.

More
05 Apr 2018 10:16 #266995 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Thoughts on SW: Legions?
Also, so long as there is a GW there will be Warhammer. How long will FFG have the SW license? Then what?

More
05 Apr 2018 10:34 #267000 by Joebot
Replied by Joebot on topic Thoughts on SW: Legions?

SuperflyTNT wrote: A line from the impending review: I LIKE THE GAME AS BEST AS I CAN TELL FROM THE LIMITATIONS IMPOSED ON ME BY AN UNDERSTAFFED STARTER SET, BUT THIS UNDERSCORES MY BELIEF THAT FFG HAS BECOME THE EA OF BOARD GAMES, DELIVERING 70% COMPLETE GAMES HOPING TO SELL YOU THE FULL VERSION AS DLC.

I think that's a good comparison. The two FFG game systems that I've bought into (X-Wing and Star Wars: Destiny) were both marketed that same way. Both have incomplete "starter" sets that don't give you enough stuff to field the entire game as designed. It's basically a full-price demo, to continue your EA analogy.

And the worst part? It fucking works. At least on me, it did. Sigh ...

I was a bit surprised to hear you say that Legion does, in fact, deliver the Star Wars-y feel. When I think of "Star Wars," I certainly don't think of "ground troops." I think of lightsabers and spaceships.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
05 Apr 2018 10:45 #267001 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Thoughts on SW: Legions?

Closer than Hands Öle, which is what it keeps autocorrecting to.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Gary Sax, repoman

More
05 Apr 2018 11:05 - 05 Apr 2018 16:25 #267003 by SuperflyPete
The game is sexy AF, for real, though. It nails the SW look even if Han Solo looks like Ham Salad.

Last edit: 05 Apr 2018 16:25 by SuperflyPete.

More
05 Apr 2018 11:10 #267004 by SuperflyPete

ubarose wrote:

Closer than Hands Öle, which is what it keeps autocorrecting to.

They’re both related to Dark Bader.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
05 Apr 2018 11:48 #267015 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic Thoughts on SW: Legions?

SuperflyTNT wrote: If someone wants my copy, PM me

Ugh, too bad international shipping is a killer...

More
05 Apr 2018 11:50 #267016 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic Thoughts on SW: Legions?

Mr. White wrote:

Sevej wrote: But every major miniature games are like that? X-Wing, 40k, AoS, Infinity, Bolt Action... Anything comes to my mind doesn't provide enough models to play as intended. And most are more expensive.

I dunno...we played a lot of great scenarios and the full AoS rules with the starter. Seemed like a decent amount to us.

Of course, they're frickin $125. Good enough, but really not the full experience.

More
05 Apr 2018 12:45 #267022 by edulis
Replied by edulis on topic Thoughts on SW: Legions?
I picked up the core set and a speeder, a buddy of mine has picked up a core and the AT-ST so between the two of us we can each filed 800 pts. We played a few learning games with just a few squads, but are planning a full 800 pointer this Friday.

More
05 Apr 2018 14:16 #267023 by edulis
Replied by edulis on topic Thoughts on SW: Legions?
I think someone asked if the Han figure looked like the new guy because he doesn't look like Harrison Ford. That is an interesting take, maybe its a mash up of the new actor and Ford. Either way its the worst figure yet. The rest are pretty awesome, although they are remaining me how terrible I am at painting.

Also someone mentioned that Ford owns his own likeness and so the figure can't look like him, yet the cards art is clearly Ford and the other miniatures - Luke for example, look like the actor.

More
05 Apr 2018 16:24 #267030 by SuperflyPete
That whole new "You need 2 core sets to play" kind of kills me. It was like that for Armada, X-Wing (if we are honest with ourselves), and now this. I think it's kind of sensible so you and your friends can get their sets and you can combine shit, but the hassle of remembering whose cards are whose and whatnot is really kind of shitty.

I dunno. If the models weren't so fiddly to assemble and the box had a full 800 points possible (even with only 1 or 2 configurations) I'd be a little more on board with it. As is, I just cant.

More
06 Apr 2018 14:13 #267064 by Stonecutter

Michael Barnes wrote:
I was thinking last night that it is interesting, the only real success they've had in terms of creating a proprietary game world is...Arkham Horror. NONE of their other attempts have managed to work. The Android world, who cares about Bio-blob or Haas-Googatech or whatever. Terrinoth...well, there you go. But Arkham Horror has a distinct sense of setting and even characters. The whole Lovecraft-inspired pulp adventure concept...they have that pretty much locked up. Thanks to Richard Launius and Kevin Wilson, who, notably, are not FFG employees.

Snipping this down pretty heavily, all of Barne's thoughts here are correct.

It really is staggering how few original IPs FFG has relative to the amount of games they produce

Twilight Imperium, original
Terranoth, original, but as generic as you can get
Cthulhu Mythos, "original" but obviously not really, and Arkham itself was a remake

Game of Thrones - Licensed
Star Wars - Licensed
Lord of the Rings - Licensed
Android - Licensed? Maybe they own it now, but they didn't create it
Legend of the Five Rings - See Android

Fallout, Doom, The Witcher (lol), Civilization, Xcom - Video Game IPs

Cosmic, Wiz War, Dungeon Quest, Rex - remakes

Then there's stuff like Mission Red Planet and Letters from Whitechapel that they publish but didn't design.

They do have their half dozen RPGs which must sell because they make them, but which I have never heard anyone play or talk about, but otherwise it's just a few small box games. I'm not saying any of this is *bad* per say, it's just weird that this huge company that gets its own wall in a lot of game stores is just a clearing house for licensed product, and was even before it got absorbed by Asmodee.

More
06 Apr 2018 14:47 #267067 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Thoughts on SW: Legions?
But to be fair, how many other "worlds" have been created by a boardgame/company ? Enough to build multiple games/systems on? I'm not counting game systems built around historical events/time periods.

I did see some pre orders up for RUNEWARS on the Coolstuff page the other day. I gotta imagine they are just flushing whatever is in the pipeline. Wonder if it makes the Black Friday sale later this year.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.379 seconds