October 09, 2023
2450 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2650 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Let's Talk About Gaslands

More
23 Apr 2018 11:06 #268038 by hotseatgames
Green stuff is super easy. Take that leap.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Apr 2018 14:43 #268055 by bfkiller
Replied by bfkiller on topic Let's Talk About Gaslands
I tried Gaslands this weekend. It was possibly the most fun gaming session I've ever had. If I had the ambition, talent and creativity of the fella (and his family) who ran the game have, I would definitely make a set of my own. But I don't, so I won't.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Brewmiester

More
23 Apr 2018 14:45 #268056 by bfkiller
Another pic. (I'd attach them all in one post but I think the file sizes are too big or something...)
Attachments:

More
23 Apr 2018 14:45 #268057 by bfkiller
Another.
Attachments:

More
23 Apr 2018 14:45 #268058 by bfkiller
Last one.
Attachments:

More
23 Apr 2018 16:27 #268064 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Let's Talk About Gaslands
Now someone just has to make the Doof Warrior for Gaslands.

More
23 Apr 2018 17:27 #268072 by the_jake_1973

charlest wrote: The biggest challenge I'm running into is finding a way to smoothly mount/connect weapons to vehicles. Anyone have any tips?

The surface of Hot Wheels tend to be sloped and angled much of the time, so it's difficult to find a connection point for a bolt gun or whatever. I've managed to avoid using greenstuff my entire life and didn't want to start now.

Magnets. Also allows for multiple configurations.

More
23 Apr 2018 20:49 #268078 by Cranberries

bfkiller wrote: I tried Gaslands this weekend. It was possibly the most fun gaming session I've ever had. If I had the ambition, talent and creativity of the fella (and his family) who ran the game have, I would definitely make a set of my own. But I don't, so I won't.

I didn't learn this until I had been on this site for literally years, but if you hit "insert" it will put the image in the message. Prior to that I was sticking stuff on IMGUR and linking to it.

More
27 Apr 2018 20:39 #272093 by Da Bid Dabid
Finished the building of my first Gaslands car for the facebook build challenge thing. Pretty stoked how it came out. So much fun to creatively kitbash from other cars and bits laying about. Hopefully, I'll find some time to paint it up soonish.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Brewmiester, blatz

More
27 Apr 2018 21:44 #272097 by hotseatgames
FYI, these guys do some crazy Gaslands accessories. www.burnindesigns.net/

The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
02 May 2018 12:50 #272503 by rafcordero
Picked this up a while back and have played a number of games. I'm starting to find some (minor) complaints with it depending on the format and car count but overall I think it's a blast. It also scales pretty well. I've played up to 5 players and while there was some downtime, it was never longer than waiting for your opponent to finish moving all their damn 40k miniatures on their turn.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
02 May 2018 13:08 #272512 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Let's Talk About Gaslands
Love to hear your niggles/complaints?
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
02 May 2018 13:42 #272514 by rafcordero
It's mostly that the game doesn't really do much to stop you from spinning out into unwieldy territory. All 100 point teams are not created equally, and without some player-imposed rules or guidelines you can overload a single car in your squad with rockets and do some nasty stuff in the first few turns of a race. That isn't as big of an issue if you use a different game format, but the book itself doesn't provide much guidance. It feels as if an individual game session can be deflating through no real error on your own part.

Also the game sets up some neat opportunities for a clever player to leverage slides or skids, but those are generally negative things unless you pick specific loadouts and sponsors which then limit you in other ways. I would expect any post-apocalyptic death racer to have the ability and wherewithal to powerslide at will but the game doesn't quite let you do that.

These are relatively minor though. They're issues of inexperience and expectation mismatch which only come up when yet-another-new player at the shop gets excited about the Hot Wheels Game and runs up against them. Despite it being the recommended format for a first game, I tend to lean away from the death race and into a simple death match, like you'd do with X-Wing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Frohike

More
03 May 2018 11:31 #272575 by GorillaGrody

rafcordero wrote: Despite it being the recommended format for a first game, I tend to lean away from the death race and into a simple death match, like you'd do with X-Wing.

We found this to be true, too. One of the problems with Death Race is that you can't use your weapons until you reach the first turn marker, so people spent the first turn out of the starting gate smashing into each other at the get go: performance cars were a particular target. And so the other issue for new players is the starting proximity of cars to one another.

Zombie Crush (we used the zombies from our used copy of Pandemic Legacy) was perfect for a four player intro, though. It gives new players a clearly defined goal, teaches them maneuvering, and lets them get lucky shots in during the first round.

More
05 May 2018 09:07 #272702 by blatz
Replied by blatz on topic Let's Talk About Gaslands
Had our first game last night. I don’t know that we’ve ever laughed so hard or had this much fun playing a game before. We did a 3-player death match with each of us controlling 2 cars and it was a riot. The turning point in the game came when one car (carrying 4 unused mines) slid out of control in front of my car which was in 5th gear and the carnage was amazing. He flipped into a rock and exploded, causing two other wrecks and another explosion to the other nearby vehicles. Only one car limped away from the blast and was promptly t-boned by the only other remaining car on the board.

Most other games are dead to me right now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.272 seconds