October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Battleground: Fantasy Warfare

More
14 Feb 2008 06:34 - 14 Feb 2008 06:37 #2728 by Lagduf
Does anyone play (or have played) this? If so could you give me some impressions?

It looks fairly simple, and I like the idea of the preconstructed "decks" that are essentially your entire army for $20. The simplified movement like how it's done in Pirates of the Spanish Main is a plus in my book, as I found in that game using a card to measure movement was pretty easy.

Really I'm only interested because I saw that their was a faction of LIZARDMEN, and while Orcs are my #1 favorite fantasy race, Lizardmen are my #2 and well you just don't really hear about Lizardmen too much these days. So Orc vs Lizardmen battles for around $20? Seems to good to be true.

I mean, you get a T-Rex for crying out loud. I would command an army of T-Rexs that would devour any warmbloods who got in my way.

I can just imagine the scene playing out on my tabletop after my T-Rex made a successful attack:

ME: "MY T-REX TRAMPLES YOUR HIGH ELVES UNDERFOOT AND THEN DEVOURS THEM"
Opponent: "..."

Ahahahaha.

On a related note, does anyone remember the bonus character "Lizard Man" from the Dreamcast version of Soul Calibur? He was my favorite character, his ending was the best when he led the hordes of reptiles to conquer the world.
Last edit: 14 Feb 2008 06:37 by Lagduf.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Feb 2008 07:58 #2730 by bob_the_goon
I've played it once, but have never played any miniatures games to compare it too. Battlground is fun, the rules are easy enough, and there's a pack of cut out terrain available to round out your battles. There's also a scenario book I think. The cards are coated so you mark wounds directly on them with dry erase markers, which makes stat tracking easy. I think it has a lot of potential, and I'd definitely play it again, I just haven't gotten around to getting it yet.

More
14 Feb 2008 08:05 #2731 by Xerxes
Hi,

It's a great little game, the early artwork was a bit 'computery' but it improves with the later armies (lizardmen etc.). We found it took a couple of plays to get our heads around some of the concepts i the game eg. 'pinching' enemy units & constructing your own army can be a bit of pain 'cos of the strange point values for units (still, it does wonders for your mental arithmetic :-)

A great point for me is that is is expandable (not collectible thank god) you can play perfectly good armies from the basic box, the army expansions gives you more of each unit to play with and hence greater flexibility in army building.

I recommend the Your Move Games website, they have a good forum for their games and are really helpful & friendly with rules quesries etc.

I'm looking forward to the historical armies they are supposed to be releasing this year (Romans & Carthaginians to begin with)

Cheers

More
14 Feb 2008 09:19 #2733 by Lagduf
Will the historical armies still fit within the framework of other fantasy armies, or will it be a new game?

I've got Commands and Colors: Ancients + all expansions for my Ancients gaming needs. But aside from Descent I don't have much fantasy stuff.

I'll probably pick up two decks of Battleground (Orcs and Lizardmen) to see if I like it at some point, maybe in April when it's my birthday.

It seems like the system in which you give orders is pretty interesting. I like that you only have so many things you can do, but it looks like other units can be pre-programmed to follow a certain course.

I'm also really starting to dig components you can write on.

More
14 Feb 2008 16:26 #2775 by Mr Skeletor
The movement is actually more complex than a normal miniatures game.
Worth getting, but buy a pack of cheap clear card sleeves along with it, and write on those rather than the cards.

More
14 Feb 2008 21:50 #2797 by Lagduf
Mr Skeletor wrote:

The movement is actually more complex than a normal miniatures game.
Worth getting, but buy a pack of cheap clear card sleeves along with it, and write on those rather than the cards.

How is it more complex?

The only miniatures games I'm familiar with are 40K and GW's LOTR: SBG.

More
14 Feb 2008 23:28 #2807 by Mr Skeletor
Moving the 'formation' (ie rectangular card) is more complex than moving each miniature, since you have turning rules and such.
Also the orders system makes movement more complex as it comes up with situations that are debateable - normally such situations wouldn't happen as the army owner choses where to put his guys, but in this some orders are meant to be 'automated' which can cause arguments between you and your opponent.

More
15 Feb 2008 07:50 #2821 by Xerxes
Same system and framework, apparently you will be able to play the historical armies against the existing fantasy ones if you want, trashing orcs with romans sounds like great fun.

More
15 Feb 2008 09:46 #2826 by Lagduf
Xerxes wrote:

Same system and framework, apparently you will be able to play the historical armies against the existing fantasy ones if you want, trashing orcs with romans sounds like great fun.

I think you mean trashing romans with Orcs sounds like fun.

More
15 Feb 2008 20:47 #2855 by bobby_5150
One deck has enough cards for two people to play. Buy one deck (lizardmen?) and give it a try. The later decks are a little more complex then the earlier ones (more options) It's a fun system and well worth your time.
A miniature game in your pocket.

More
15 Feb 2008 21:46 #2859 by Lagduf
bobby_5150 wrote:

One deck has enough cards for two people to play. Buy one deck (lizardmen?) and give it a try. The later decks are a little more complex then the earlier ones (more options) It's a fun system and well worth your time.
A miniature game in your pocket.

Will one deck build two balanced armies?

I just assumed one deck would be enough to build a single army, but allow you a little bit of room for customization.

More
15 Feb 2008 23:01 - 15 Feb 2008 23:03 #2867 by bobby_5150
[/quote]
Will one deck build two balanced armies?

I just assumed one deck would be enough to build a single army, but allow you a little bit of room for customization.[/quote]

Yes, each deck has two 1500 point quick-start armies. It's more then enough to see if you like the game. The only drawback is that it will be orc vs. orc, or lizard men. Here is one of their 1500 point quick-start armies.

1 goblin raiders
1 crazed goblins
1 trolls
1 orc axemen
1 goblin wolf riders
1 goblin bowmen
1 orc swordsmen

The two quick-start armies do have different cards, so you won't be fighting with identical armies.
As Xerxes said "The army expansions gives you more of each unit to play with and hence greater flexibility in army building."
Also, each deck fights different. Some favor range attacks or mob tactics. You can also with a little tweeking mix the decks.I hope I've been of so help. Give it a try, you will like it.
Last edit: 15 Feb 2008 23:03 by bobby_5150. Reason: Because I write like a 5 year old.

More
16 Feb 2008 00:24 - 16 Feb 2008 00:24 #2869 by Lagduf
Very cool, i'll try it out for sure.
Last edit: 16 Feb 2008 00:24 by Lagduf.

More
16 Feb 2008 07:42 #2882 by Ken B.
This is going to sound lamer than hell, but as a CCGer who played his cards in sleeves, I can't wrap my brain around writing on my cards. How does that work?

More
16 Feb 2008 12:26 #2888 by metalface13
I believe the cards are coated so you can use a dry erase marker and just wipe the marker off. I'm starting to get interested in grabbing a couple of decks myself.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.333 seconds