October 09, 2023
2452 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Trek Nerdgasm

More
22 Feb 2008 03:09 #3182 by Harkonnen13
Trek Nerdgasm was created by Harkonnen13
While once again trying to treat my insomnia with the internet I came across something very interesting. Back in the 80s I played a miniatures game (could use counters too) called the FASA Star Trek Tactical Combat Simulator. Played it a whole lot. Haven't played it in close to 20 years, don't own any of the materials for it any more. About a year ago I bought a bunch of Star Trek Micro Machines to use with the Starmada minis rules (a good build-your-own-ship system). More recently I came to the conclusion that I don't have the time to work up stats for a bunch of ships and that my cool pre-painted Trek minis wouldn't be used. Mostly Deep Space Nine/The Next Generation Models. I even have a Borg Cube, which is cool.

The interesting part is a fan-made reworking of the Tactical Combat Simulator that I found. Not just updated ships for the TNG era (which wouldn't be good anyway since they're so much more powerful than the Kirk-era ships in the original game-they wouldn't scale well), but updated rules as well. Missing the Romulan ships from Nemesis as far as the fleet lists go, but it's still all good. I had a major nerdgasm a little while ago over this, I should probably check my shorts.

BTW it's free:

http://sporadic-enterprises.net/PhaseII/index.htm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Feb 2008 18:32 #3236 by BigLizard
Replied by BigLizard on topic Re:Trek Nerdgasm
Harkonnen13 wrote:

While once again trying to treat my insomnia with the internet I came across something very interesting. Back in the 80s I played a miniatures game (could use counters too) called the FASA Star Trek Tactical Combat Simulator. Played it a whole lot. Haven't played it in close to 20 years, don't own any of the materials for it any more. About a year ago I bought a bunch of Star Trek Micro Machines to use with the Starmada minis rules (a good build-your-own-ship system). More recently I came to the conclusion that I don't have the time to work up stats for a bunch of ships and that my cool pre-painted Trek minis wouldn't be used. Mostly Deep Space Nine/The Next Generation Models. I even have a Borg Cube, which is cool.

The interesting part is a fan-made reworking of the Tactical Combat Simulator that I found. Not just updated ships for the TNG era (which wouldn't be good anyway since they're so much more powerful than the Kirk-era ships in the original game-they wouldn't scale well), but updated rules as well. Missing the Romulan ships from Nemesis as far as the fleet lists go, but it's still all good. I had a major nerdgasm a little while ago over this, I should probably check my shorts.

BTW it's free:

http://sporadic-enterprises.net/PhaseII/index.htm

Thanks for the update. A friend gave me his copy of the game last year although I'm not really sure why. I looked over the rules and my head almost exploded. But the counters look great and some day I would like to give it a try.

BillN

BillN

More
23 Feb 2008 03:19 #3266 by Harkonnen13
Replied by Harkonnen13 on topic Re:Trek Nerdgasm
Exploding heads are a sign of a good game.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds