Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Talk about collectible card and miniature games here.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Kickstarter: Serpent's Tongue - Shut Up and Take My Mon

Kickstarter: Serpent's Tongue - Shut Up and Take My Mon 19 Apr 2012 19:09 #123338

www.kickstarter.com/projects/500894669/s...ew-magick-experience

So this is a Magic style wizard dueling game where the core mechanic involves choosing a card from your codex (an actual physical book with slots to hold giant 4"x6" spell cards and filled with lore and theme), then placing the card in between you and your opponent, and speaking the incantation to cast the spell. The incantation must be remembered or decrypted within a set time limit (comes with hour glasses). Only your opponent's side of the card reveals the correct incantation (along with the game mechanical effect), whereas your side shows an encrypted version. The encrypted version can be decrypted fairly easily for level 1 spells, but the more complex spells would take longer to decrypt, and are more difficult to memorize. Incantations are made up of words of power, which all have actual meaning (so all "death" spells might start with "Ak" for example, just to make up an example).

The idea is to have a game with extremely high quality components, extremely deep lore, a constructed language, and a requirement to really get into the concept of being a mage, by having to hunt out (buy packs of boosters) new and more powerful spells, and actually memorize the spells incantations in order to cast them.

Seems very intriguing.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Kickstarter: Serpent's Tongue - Shut Up and Take My Mon 19 Apr 2012 19:40 #123344

What's a Kickstarter?
  • Bullwinkle
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 399

Re: Kickstarter: Serpent's Tongue - Shut Up and Take My Mon 19 Apr 2012 20:14 #123348

It has to do with Association Football.

Sounds interesting, I'll be happy to check it out and even review it when it is available as a professional, retail release.
  • Michael Barnes
  • Mountebank
  • Thank you received: 2914

Re: Kickstarter: Serpent's Tongue - Shut Up and Take My Mon 19 Apr 2012 20:51 #123350

Bullwinkle wrote:
What's a Kickstarter?
It's a type of motorcycle (as opposed to the electric starter that cars use). I don't understand what motorcycles have to do with wizards incanting spells.

Last Edit: 19 Apr 2012 20:53 by Ancient_of_MuMu.

Re: Kickstarter: Serpent's Tongue - Shut Up and Take My Mon 19 Apr 2012 20:59 #123352

Bullwinkle wrote:
What's a Kickstarter?

Ah, I take it that here at FAT it's common place to scowl on the concept of kickstarter then? Might I ask why?

Re: Kickstarter: Serpent's Tongue - Shut Up and Take My Mon 19 Apr 2012 21:02 #123353

Because it will first bring about the downfall of the boardgame hobby, followed by commerce in general and eventually the world.
  • VonTush
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 787
Doing my part to poison the health of the hobby one game at a time!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Ska_baron, Notahandle, Death and Taxis, Ancient_of_MuMu, Fallen, cdennett

Re: Kickstarter: Serpent's Tongue - Shut Up and Take My Mon 19 Apr 2012 21:04 #123354

We're too crude and uneducated to appreciate the exciting possibilities of pre-paying for vaporware.
  • Shellhead
  • D12
  • Thank you received: 1165
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

Re: Kickstarter: Serpent's Tongue - Shut Up and Take My Mon 19 Apr 2012 21:10 #123355

Shellhead wrote:
We're too crude and uneducated to appreciate the exciting possibilities of pre-paying for vaporware.

Has that happened? I've backed a few ventures I've been very happy with.

Re: Kickstarter: Serpent's Tongue - Shut Up and Take My Mon 19 Apr 2012 21:17 #123356

The worst game I've played in recent memory, possibly ever, was a Kickstarter.

Just sayin'.
  • Josh Look
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 511
I'm ok with Ben Affleck playing Batman. At least there will be a better director on set.

Re: Kickstarter: Serpent's Tongue - Shut Up and Take My Mon 19 Apr 2012 22:21 #123360

Josh Look wrote:
The worst game I've played in recent memory, possibly ever, was a Kickstarter.

Just sayin'.

Was it Alien Frontiers -- because I am inclined to agree then.
  • Space Ghost
  • D10
  • Thank you received: 400

Re: Kickstarter: Serpent's Tongue - Shut Up and Take My Mon 19 Apr 2012 22:24 #123361

Venture Forth.

I love Alien Fronteirs.
  • Josh Look
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 511
I'm ok with Ben Affleck playing Batman. At least there will be a better director on set.

Re: Kickstarter: Serpent's Tongue - Shut Up and Take My Mon 19 Apr 2012 22:31 #123362

Josh Look wrote:
Venture Forth.

I love Alien Fronteirs.

Looks like it cancels out then.
  • Space Ghost
  • D10

Re: Kickstarter: Serpent's Tongue - Shut Up and Take My Mon 19 Apr 2012 22:31 #123363

Josh Look wrote:
Venture Forth.

I love Alien Fronteirs.

Looks like it cancels out then.
  • Space Ghost
  • D10

Re: Kickstarter: Serpent's Tongue - Shut Up and Take My Mon 19 Apr 2012 23:56 #123366

back to the actual topic...this sounds like something i would have thought was really cool when i was a kid. not to bag on it. but now it just sounds basically impossible to play.
  • iguanaDitty
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 109

Re: Kickstarter: Serpent's Tongue - Shut Up and Take My Mon 20 Apr 2012 00:08 #123368

Bridger wrote:
Ah, I take it that here at FAT it's common place to scowl on the concept of kickstarter then? Might I ask why?
See this thread.
  • Bullwinkle
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 399
  • Page:
Moderators: Jackwraith, Mad Dog, wadenels
Time to create page: 0.654 seconds