October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Fantasy Flight Announces Some Big Changes for LCGs

More
06 Nov 2014 10:01 #190096 by JoelCFC25
I think it's a good move. For those into the competitive scene, it's hard to believe they won't eventually develop a Legacy format--and if they don't you could roll your own on a local level, I guess.

All the people moaning about how they continually get wrecked by the Andromeda and/or Near Earth Hub can feel all warm and fuzzy...only 3-ish more years until those IDs cycle out!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Nov 2014 10:03 #190097 by VonTush
I have considered getting into Conquest, in fact I bought the base game.
Seeing this though made me realize that I don't really need another subscription game. I bought the game with the intention of just playing what was in the box because with all the Prime/Ally deck combos there is a lot to play just in the box I think so I'll just keep it there. I don't need to keep up until there are 1,200-1,500 cards in the game.

That said, I think these changes will be good in the long run. And shows that FFG has some very long term plans for their LCGs which is good. I still chuckle though how FFG has figured out a way for boardgamers, who say they'll never get into a collectable card game, to buy into a collectable card game by simply removing the random packs.

More
06 Nov 2014 10:06 #190100 by Bull Nakano
Random = bad, I want EVERYTHING (except a secondary market).

More
06 Nov 2014 10:11 #190101 by VonTush
That's what I find amusing.
Remove random from card games, remove assembling/painting/measuring from miniature games...And you suddenly have games that board gamers will buy by the boatload. I tip my cap to FFG in other words for making genres of games appealing to those that said they'd never get into one.

More
06 Nov 2014 10:59 #190105 by DukeofChutney
good move. Like others have said, if you are so into the hobby as to want to be in the competitive scene for a long enough time to see a whole cycle then paying out is something you should be ok with. If you are knew to competitive its easier to get in. If you are non competitive the older packs should become cheap on the second hand market. It also might mitigate the need to buy every single pack some have.

More
06 Nov 2014 11:10 #190107 by Erik Twice

stoic wrote: I hate games with a built-in expiration date.

The thing is, all these games will eventually die without set rotation because you need an influx of newer players to compensate for the older ones that inevitable stop playing. Because unlike other games, once you cannot go every week to play the game, most of the fun is gone. You can't recreate a metagame, the deckbuilding and experimentation without a community.

All I hope is that they keep a banlist for an Eternal format. They don't need to support it with prizes or anything, but a banlist would be incredibly helpful.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
18 Oct 2017 04:15 - 18 Oct 2017 04:17 #255886 by __
One thing I've never understood, and this is only tangential to the OP here is, what is the problem with card games and stock. I personally can order a deck of cards from artscow or printer studio and it get to my door in a week or so from China.

How is it that gaming companies who have "the cards" on a hard drive somewhere, do not have the capacity to effectively "print on demand" small or large print runs of any of their cards, whenever they want. How do card games ever go out of print?

I remember thinking how the heck did that company mess up Glory to Rome reprint such that it never got fixed, when the actual art and content exists. Why cant it just be sent to a printer? I guess its more complicated than that :)

But I dont get why having old cards " in stock" would be a problem for FFG, surely they dont need to hold physical cards in stock, and surely they have the clout to allow any person at any time to "buy" any deck they ever had, via a contract with a print service, if it costs just a few dollars to get my own from Artscow, how much can it cost to provide that service for pretty much any card game or card content? Obviously theres licensing and rights but I still find it surprising you cant just click on a link and pay X dollars for any card deck or resource ever via an external print service, and the money X you pay is divvied up by FFG or whoever in the same ratio as when the game was in print, ie to artist, designer, publisher, whatever
Last edit: 18 Oct 2017 04:17 by __.

More
18 Oct 2017 04:56 #255891 by Erik Twice

Tron wrote: How is it that gaming companies who have "the cards" on a hard drive somewhere, do not have the capacity to effectively "print on demand" small or large print runs of any of their cards, whenever they want. How do card games ever go out of print?

Print on demand is extremely expensive and inefficient, hence game companies wait until they can place a large order at a normal printer.

More
18 Oct 2017 05:13 #255892 by __
I guess I do not understand why PoD is expensive and inefficient. The company has the digital files required. If I can buy a deck of cards from Artscow for a few dollars, why can't FFG have a deal with a similar service/company where I pay them some dollars, the digital file is sent to that company and they print it. As a consumer I would pay all the costs, all FFG is doing is sending a digital file they already have to a company who presses a "print" button (however it works at artscow). I get that this might cost me, the end user a few more dollars than I might typically pay for a deck of cards, I just do not understand why companies cannot send their digital files to a trusted service on demand, this costs them nothing whatsoever, and the consumer pays to have it printed and shipped.

More
18 Oct 2017 05:23 #255894 by Sevej
Well, two entities working together is a bit more complicated than that, even more so with licensed products. Probably won't even get past the due diligence on the grounds on how easy people print copyrighted stuff in Artscow.

Then there's quality thing when FFG wants everything to feel the same, especially for competitive card games. To do so they print in China. In that case, it's cheaper to get a container of the same thing instead 1 or 2 off shoots.

In the end, people just doesn't care enough for FFG to warrant the effort.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.408 seconds