October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Netrunner

More
04 Dec 2012 16:30 - 04 Dec 2012 16:40 #138901 by Mr. White
Netrunner was created by Mr. White
With the $20 tag at Amazon at the moment, I'm giving this some thought. However, I have no interest in getting into a card game where I'm buying multiple starter sets or buying boosters all the time.

How good is this one out of the box and how long are its legs? Should I go Infiltration instead?
Last edit: 04 Dec 2012 16:40 by Mr. White.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Dec 2012 16:36 #138902 by Matt Thrower
Replied by Matt Thrower on topic Re: Netrunner

Jeff White wrote: With the $20 tag at Amazon at the moment, I'm giving this some thought. However, I have no interest in getting into a card game where I'm buying multiple starter sets or buying boosters all the time.

How good is this one out of the box and how long are it's legs? Should I go Infiltration instead?

It's very good out of the box provided that ...

1) You're willing to put some effort into deck building.
2) You're not playing against other people who have multiple sets.

If you're happy with both of those, buy it. It's excellent.

Not that I've played Inflitration.

More
04 Dec 2012 16:41 #138903 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Re: Netrunner
I thought this game came with some pre-built factions/decks and folks were buying up extra to customize. Do you have to deck build with the starter as well?

More
04 Dec 2012 16:54 #138904 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Re: Netrunner
I don't own it but my buddy who lives in the same building as me does. We've played maybe 6 games of it and I still want to play many more times. I've played using the pre-built decks themed per runner or coporation and it's fine to me. I could imagine getting much better at using each deck. I think it's one of the best card games I've ever played and I see no reason to go all tournament style with it... unless that's your bag of course but I have no interest in using it as anything other than a complete game as is.

In fact I enjoy it so much I've considered picking up my own copy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse

More
04 Dec 2012 17:16 - 04 Dec 2012 17:16 #138906 by Matt Thrower
Replied by Matt Thrower on topic Re: Netrunner

Jeff White wrote: I thought this game came with some pre-built factions/decks and folks were buying up extra to customize. Do you have to deck build with the starter as well?

You don't *have* to but I found the suggested starter decks to be less than optimal. Particularly for the corporation who really need more ICE cards than the starter decks provide. But that's all - you can easily use what's in the box to tweak the starter decks to your liking, it's not a lot of effort and there's no real need for a second set.
Last edit: 04 Dec 2012 17:16 by Matt Thrower.

More
04 Dec 2012 18:01 #138908 by dragonstout
Replied by dragonstout on topic Re: Netrunner
The Amazon sale has got me thinking about it even though I have a sizable and satisfactory old-Netrunner collection. The temptation is largely because my wife has never been into Netrunner, and I wonder if the less-dated art and the factions might convert her. If the faction decks include semi-obvious "combos", that'd be what'd get her.

More
04 Dec 2012 18:17 #138909 by bioball
Replied by bioball on topic Re: Netrunner
If you have no interest in buying any of the expansion booster packs then I would pass on it and get Omens/Tooth&Nail/Innovation/Summoner Wars as far as card games are concerned.

Netrunner, while clever and really great, IS made to be continuously bought and expanded. If you are no interested in this aspect of the game then don't spend your money on it.

I think the best reason to get into Netrunner vs. CoC or MTG is because you can get in on the ground level and don't have to learn years of knowledge to feel competitive in the game. You are learning right along everyone else.

But I'm curious WHY do you want to get into Netrunner?
The following user(s) said Thank You: dragonstout

More
04 Dec 2012 18:20 #138910 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Re: Netrunner

bioball wrote: But I'm curious WHY do you want to get into Netrunner?

Easy. Lack of any good cyberpunk games.

More
04 Dec 2012 18:41 #138912 by bioball
Replied by bioball on topic Re: Netrunner
Android or Infiltration not your thing?

I think Android can be played with two players just by removing one more suspect from a 3 player game.

More
04 Dec 2012 19:09 #138914 by Dr. Mabuse
Replied by Dr. Mabuse on topic Re: Netrunner

JonJacob wrote: I don't own it but my buddy who lives in the same building as me does. We've played maybe 6 games of it and I still want to play many more times. I've played using the pre-built decks themed per runner or coporation and it's fine to me. I could imagine getting much better at using each deck. I think it's one of the best card games I've ever played and I see no reason to go all tournament style with it... unless that's your bag of course but I have no interest in using it as anything other than a complete game as is.

In fact I enjoy it so much I've considered picking up my own copy.

What JJ said.

I've also played about 5 or 6 games and have been super happy with the pre-built decks. I have no experience with CCGs (and have avoided them) but I've been loving the shit out of this so far, as is.

Maybe once I feel a faction is played out I'll expand it (like any other board game) and if need be I'll probably go onto BGG and use someone's custom build list to change things up. I have no brain nor desire to build decks, I just wanna play.

As for Infiltration, I really dig it, but it's ultimately a push your luck game set in the Android universe. Netrunnner has more of a cyberpunk feel versus Infiltration.

More
04 Dec 2012 19:59 #138922 by dragonstout

bioball wrote: If you have no interest in buying any of the expansion booster packs then I would pass on it and get Omens/Tooth&Nail/Innovation/Summoner Wars as far as card games are concerned.

Netrunner, while clever and really great, IS made to be continuously bought and expanded. If you are no interested in this aspect of the game then don't spend your money on it.

I think the best reason to get into Netrunner vs. CoC or MTG is because you can get in on the ground level and don't have to learn years of knowledge to feel competitive in the game. You are learning right along everyone else.

But I'm curious WHY do you want to get into Netrunner?

Thanks for talking some sense into me. I'd come to exact same conclusion a few months ago, but sales destroyed my reasoning faculty.

More
04 Dec 2012 21:56 #138931 by Hex Sinister
Replied by Hex Sinister on topic Re: Netrunner

Dr. Mabuse wrote: Maybe once I feel a faction is played out I'll expand it (like any other board game) and if need be I'll probably go onto BGG and use someone's custom build list to change things up. I have no brain nor desire to build decks, I just wanna play.

You don't have to get all complicated when it comes to deckbuilding. Just pick a base deck and tune it up very slightly. Like if you get a couple new cards that sound cool, throw 'em in. Then find a card or two that are kind of suck and yank 'em. Bam.

No need to get all mentat with the builds to have a fun time. But after a while I think it's a cool to freshen it up. I'm only playing with the gf and it's casual like that.

More
04 Dec 2012 22:13 - 04 Dec 2012 22:14 #138932 by Erik Twice
Replied by Erik Twice on topic Re: Netrunner
I think Netrunner is pretty rad. I have loved every single moment of it and can't wait to play it more and more. It's completely unique in it's mechanics and the only game where you burn your brain and suffer trying to guess what your opponent is going to play. That's like my two favourite things put together in the same game and I doubt you'll see that in any other game.

This is all out of the box, which is constrained but fun and playable. Without building your own decks, which will become neccesary as the premade versions are kind of gimmicky, you will be able to play at least twice with each, so around 14 plays for the average person if we are to consider you want to play them out as both Corp and Runner. That's pretty good because your first plays will be long.

The problem is that the decks aren't very well designed and suffer for it. One lacks enough Ice, another is all card draw and fuel without any bombs to pump into and that stuff. They are also pretty unidimensional in a sense and not exactly nuanced so sooner and later you will need to jump in and deckbuild.

Deckbuilding is easy, you can't really fuck up and make the deck terrible and unplayable unless you actively try. So it's more the willingness to do it.

Infiltration is simply another kind of game, where you get into a building represented by cards, play actions ala Roborally and try to make out with some cash. I felt it was pretty bland and pretty shallow, like you had two or three fun choices during the half an hour the game lasts, which is way below the curve compared to anything else, really.

Not bad bad, but kind of mediocre in a sense. If only it was more interactive...

PD: I have only played Infiltration twice so watch out for my unfounded opinions!
Last edit: 04 Dec 2012 22:14 by Erik Twice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dragonstout, Stormcow

More
06 Dec 2012 18:20 #139038 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic Re: Netrunner
Aaaaggghhh, missed the sale!

More
06 Dec 2012 19:13 #139039 by dragonstout
I decided a little too late that I should've bought it just to use the cardboard bits for Classic Netrunner.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds