October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

MTGO: the Cube returns...with the POWER NINE!!!

More
20 Dec 2012 20:31 #139976 by Space Ghost
fuck, dragonstout. I won't sell my cards and now I need to know how much it is going to cost me to get involved in this. I hope this really creates interest in legacy and vintage -- I have a shit ton of cards that need to be used.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Dec 2012 20:32 #139977 by Space Ghost

dragonstout wrote: Dair, I've heard dual lands are at a ridiculous low right now, so I'd prioritize those. As for FoW: a pleasant surprise! Probably a good idea to sell your FoWs before the influx of new ones, though; what you want to do is wait until after the first "panic sell" drop; the price will come back up a bit, and then is the time to sell, as the price will start slowly dropping afterward, with another big drop when the FoWs start getting handed out. That's my advice, at least.

In fact, with 4 FoWs and an interest in playing Vintage online, I'd HIGHLY recommend going to quietspeculation.com and getting a one-day trial membership, just to read their recent article about what financial changes the Power 9 is going to have online. And then read my PM.

Is the market for online cards the same as "real" cards?

More
20 Dec 2012 20:49 #139978 by dragonstout
Hehe I edited my comment simultaneous to you asking this question. The economic markets are COMPLETELY different. Online, Force of Will is (and has been for years) by far the most expensive card in the game, with Lion's Eye Diamond right behind. We're talking $100 per Force of Will. This was, of course, an enormous problem, considering how important 4 copies of FoW is for the majority of both Legacy and Vintage decks, and has been completely killing those formats online. This was exacerbated by an idiot promise made when FoW was released online saying that they wouldn't ever put it in another Master's Edition set, unlike the dual lands which have each been in two Master's Edition sets by now. Their solution (at least, an initial solution) to this was just revealed a couple days ago: they'll be giving out FoWs to everyone who qualifies for the Magic Online Championship series, greatly increasing the supply.

Anyway, no, no correlation between markets. The paper card Imperial Seal is worth over $600; online you can buy them for $4. Conversely, Null Rod is worth I think 4 times online what it goes for in paper.

Overall, if one were starting from nothing, Online Legacy is way way cheaper than Paper Legacy, if for no other reason than dual lands (the most expensive one, Underground Sea, is $20, vs. > $100 on paper). Currently, however, it's not very popular online at all; I believe that the new Force of Wills and the release of Power online will change that dramatically. I also believe that the release of Power online will have an effect on paper Vintage's popularity, but I don't know yet whether that effect will be positive or negative: positive, if people try the way cheaper online version of Vintage and find that they like it and want to play it in person as well; negative, if people decide that since Vintage is so hard to find players for in real life, they might as well sell off their collections and convert to playing online.

BTW, if you have any Beta pieces of power you're thinking of selling (or Beta Mana Vault), let me know.

More
20 Dec 2012 21:08 #139980 by Space Ghost
Only Beta power is Mox Jet - and probably wouldn't sell it as I just like the way it looks :)

I am such a sucker for Magic cards. I have culled a bunch of my collection down (up through Visions - the arrival of our daughter in April put a stop to the culling process), keeping complete sets (Unlimited/Revised mix [still need a couple of power] through Visions, excepting Arabian Nights), and only duplicates of the cards I think are essential for Vintage and Legacy (in the types of decks I like to play, which are usually Blue/Black/White).

And, I agree about Balance -- has been my favorite White card for years.

More
20 Dec 2012 21:20 #139982 by bioball
And this is what I find frustrating about potentially getting back into MTG, not only to I have to keep up with a fluid game state (which is fine) but I also have to keep up with several different formats in order to maximize my card collection's competitiveness. Do I play Standard, Modern, Legacy, Commander, Pauper, ect? Adding to this is another layer of paper vs. digital and the crazy swing of card values there.

I guess that is why I enjoy the MTG:Duel of the Planeswalker games and the Cube format- it's all fuck-it-whatever-here-are-the-cards-done. I think if the Cube was released in a Duel format I'd enjoy paying a monthly update fee to rotate cards in and out.

Don't get me wrong, I think the game is great. I really enjoy deck building especially with a limit pool of cards picked in an unknown or limited way it shows off card playing skill + deck building prowess.

Maybe I mini-rant can be phrased this way: Will there ever be a time when MTG will be so large, formats so varied, and a set of must-have cards be so expensive that is will be a barrier for new player entry?

But again, maybe this is why there is a Core Set.

More
20 Dec 2012 21:27 - 20 Dec 2012 21:27 #139985 by Erik Twice

bioball wrote: Maybe I mini-rant can be phrased this way: Will there ever be a time when MTG will be so large, formats so varied, and a set of must-have cards be so expensive that is will be a barrier for new player entry?

No, because they can just reprint the cards. Other than Vintage and, let's hope not, Legacy, everything else can be kept alive by more and more reprints.

Well, kind of. Modern, for example, has a 240$ barrier to be competitive.
Last edit: 20 Dec 2012 21:27 by Erik Twice.

More
20 Dec 2012 23:22 - 20 Dec 2012 23:22 #139995 by dragonstout

bioball wrote: And this is what I find frustrating about potentially getting back into MTG, not only to I have to keep up with a fluid game state (which is fine) but I also have to keep up with several different formats in order to maximize my card collection's competitiveness. Do I play Standard, Modern, Legacy, Commander, Pauper, ect? Adding to this is another layer of paper vs. digital and the crazy swing of card values there.

I wouldn't say you need to keep up with several constructed formats at all...I'd bet 90% of players stick to one or two.

bioball wrote: Maybe I mini-rant can be phrased this way: Will there ever be a time when MTG will be so large, formats so varied, and a set of must-have cards be so expensive that is will be a barrier for new player entry?

Theoretically, at least (and I'd argue that it's true), the large number of formats is supposed to serve the opposite purpose, providing an entry for any budget, any interest-level, and any type of interest. Now, the problem is if a proliferation of formats splinters the playerbase so far that it's hard to find players for whatever format you like. I believe Vintage would be in much better shape if Legacy didn't exist, for example (not saying at all that that would be a preferable reality, as it still wouldn't be nearly as popular as Legacy is now), Commander completely killed Five-Color, and I'm certainly afraid of Modern sending Legacy the way of Vintage.
Last edit: 20 Dec 2012 23:22 by dragonstout.

More
21 Dec 2012 20:23 - 21 Dec 2012 20:30 #140084 by Bulwyf
Thanks for the insight into the pricing differences of paper MtG vs MtG:O. I always found the subject fascinating.

As for the formats, I think Vintage is in bad shape just due to the very high cost of entry. Legacy is starting to feel some of that pain now with the rise in price of dual lands, Force of Will and other "staples". My hope is that if Modern Masters is a success, Wizards will print a Legacy Masters set. Even if they didn't touch the reserved list there are more than enough Legacy cards out there that need to be reprinted. This is coming from a guy who started back in '93 and owns most of these older cards. I realize that whatever value my collection has is tied into the popularity of MtG and the health of the game overall. I firmly believe that some timely reprints are good for the game.

Oh and I don't think Modern will ever replace Legacy. Having played both now I can see that Legacy is just flat out better. More diverse, more fun and more open to innovation. Wizards will continue to push Modern but I'm starting to think it needs some fixing.

-Will
Last edit: 21 Dec 2012 20:30 by Bulwyf.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds