October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Magic: Homeland 5 cent card decks...?

More
19 Apr 2013 19:34 - 19 Apr 2013 19:48 #150692 by Black Barney
To Dragonstout and other Magic affectionados(sp?),

My old CCG buddies and I get together once a quarter to play some Magic draft. It's lots of fun, we draft cards, play some Halo, shower together, you know the usual. Dragonstout introduced us to Cube Draft (Pauper Cube) and it was a big hit. I think that may have lit a spark of 'what else can we try?'

Here's the latest thing:

Build a deck using onlycards from either all Homeland or all Fallen Empires (no Hymn to Tourachs, tho). So given that I have no Magic cards at all, what's the best way for me to do this? Is there anywhere I can look for fun decklists of this type? Where would I get the cards from?

Dragonstout, if you have cards lying around and want to build, sleeve and sell me a deck (fun way to get rid of old cards), we can do that too.

I'm the world's worst deckbuilder so any help I can get on what deck to play would be appreciated. I'd love to arrive with something nuts (but legal).

We will likely decide to all go Homelands or Fallen Empires but I'm not sure which yet...
Last edit: 19 Apr 2013 19:48 by Black Barney.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Apr 2013 19:51 #150695 by Ken B.
Only Homelands and Fallen Empires? Oh, Jaysus.

I'll wager a Thrull deck or a Thallid deck.

That's a hard word to say with a straight face.

"Yes, I'll have the Thallid."

More
19 Apr 2013 20:01 #150698 by Space Ghost
Go with goblin grenades.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
19 Apr 2013 20:02 - 19 Apr 2013 20:03 #150700 by Black Barney
Ok, they just ruled out Fallen Empires cuz I wanted to do a Black Discard deck or a Homarid deck (*vomit*). Nah, but seriously they figured (like Ghosty said) that people will just play goblin grenades with Fallen Empires.

So yeah, just Homelands. The idea is that the set is sooo bad that there are no good powerful decks to build. I think Homelands has ZERO creature removal from what I hear.

So where the heck do I find a decent decklist for that format and where do you suggest I get the cardz?
Last edit: 19 Apr 2013 20:03 by Black Barney.

More
19 Apr 2013 20:24 #150705 by Bull Nakano
Talk about some fun murdering. I have an irrational love for FE's flavour and art, because it was the first set that came out after I was into magic, but those cards are bad, and Homeland's are worse. You all should just shower together twice and LARP as one of the 5 FE factions while doing do.

(for real help, you can make a pretty funny thrull deck and a non-embarrassing thallid deck)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
19 Apr 2013 21:37 - 19 Apr 2013 21:47 #150716 by dragonstout
LOL you gotta be shitting me. Fallen Empires was vetoed for being too powerful. This sounds like the worst format ever, which is obviously the point. Don't expect this to be fun past one day, but then also don't expect any decks to cost more than $5!

You're looking for decklists??!?!?! Okay, first of all obviously this format has never existed, so there are no decklists anyway. But kind of the whole point, to me, of inventing weird new formats is that there ARE no decklists to just xerox from online. You've gotta be creative, just like in the old days!

As for where to get the cards: I'd suggest AdventuresOn probably if you were in the USA. The issue is that Homelands are dirt, dirt cheap, so the REAL trick is finding somewhere nearby to avoid shipping.

Okay, I'm actually getting interested in brewing, so here are some ideas...

- First of all, whenever you have a low-powered format, that's going to make games slow. Whenever games are slow (and no aggro deck is possible; pretty sure you can't go aggro with this set), you want to be the control deck. Looking through the spoiler, black is *obviously* the best control color; I think blue is probably the best color to pair it with.

You want to jam the max copies of:
Serrated Arrows
Giant Oyster
Broken Visage
probably Funeral March
Torture
Apocalypse Chime

Giant Oyster and Apocalypse Chime are your chief card advantage engines.

I'm pretty sure max copies of Wall of Kelp is also correct; that card is insane.

With Wall of Kelp and that much removal, you can focus on just using your removal on the relevant guys, which are EXTREMELY few. All that Kelp can take care of chump-blocking the irrelevant guys if you get down low enough.

Some Grandmother Sengir are important, as she speeds up the Giant Oyster.

Make sure you save removal to kill opposing Oysters!

The obvious best finisher is Baron Sengir, with Ihsan's Shade close behind, but frankly I'm not even sure you need the Shade. Gah, actually, Baron Sengir can do *nothing* vs. Broken Visage or Torture, and neither can the Shade, and there is no enchantment removal or discard to deal with those two cards either. This made me start thinking that Autumn Willow with Joven's Tools is the way to go, but Wall of Kelp beats the crap out of her.

Okay. I newly think that the best strategy is run the opponent out of cards. So you want to play PURE defense. All the cards I mentioned earlier are good. Here is your strategy:

The opponent isn't going to kill you early, so you have time to get to beefy dudes. Cast a couple beefy dudes. Kill opponent with said dudes if they're tapped out, otherwise just stall like a mofo. Use a minimal amount of cards; don't just play out your hand. Build Kelp tokens with Wall of Kelp. Your goal is to make them overextend: i.e. they have to play out a lot of creatures on the board in order to get past your Baron Sengir & Ihsan's Shade. Once they're at the point where it looks like they might start getting close to winning, lay down APOCALYPSE CHIME and blow up the board; the Kelp tokens will survive, though ideally this doesn't even matter. Once opponent is down to two cards in deck, cast Forget on them and laugh.

Hopefully Baron Sengir will get you there before that point, though.

PS: I don't have any Homelands cards to sell you other than a complete set, thank god. I would absolutely happily sell the complete set, though.
Last edit: 19 Apr 2013 21:47 by dragonstout.

More
19 Apr 2013 23:13 #150728 by Black Barney
yeah, I could be interested in the complete set for sure. Then maybe I could make one of those fun decks where you're only allowed one of each card? But I really like the way you're thinking (and how the thinking evolves through your post).

So maybe...

4x Serrated Arrows
4x Giant Oyster
4x Broken Visage
4x Funeral March
4x Torture
4x Apocalype Chime

(these are all HOmelands, right?)

4x Wall of Kelp
3x Grandmother Sengir
3x Baron Sengir
3x Ihsan's Shade
3x Automn Willow
3x Joven's Tools

9 island
9 swamp

What you think?

More
19 Apr 2013 23:32 #150731 by stormseeker75
I think you should not play this format. What a clusterfuck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dragonstout, Bull Nakano

More
19 Apr 2013 23:59 #150733 by dragonstout

stormseeker75 wrote: I think you should not play this format. What a clusterfuck.

I agree, I just sent you a Cube for goodness' sake! But I do think trying new formats is fun.

About your deck: 18 lands, WTF? Play 24, with a slight preference for blue for your Wall of Kelps.

I'd go up to 4 Baron Sengir; completely cut the Autumn Willow & Joven's Tools (both because it requires a green splash and because it's foiled by both Wall of Kelp, Dark Maze, and Cemetery Gate; though maybe your group won't be onto the whole "Wall of Kelp is the shit" truth, which is not obvious...........and hell, I might be wrong, I just know that it was awesome in draft). If you think your group won't include any of those cards, then I would totally include just like 2 Autumn Willow and 2 Joven's Tools, not more than that. I'd go down to 2 Grandmother Sengir. I'd include one Forget. I'd go 3 Apocalypse Chime, not 4.

More
20 Apr 2013 00:04 #150734 by Bull Nakano
18 lands, 3x Baron Sengir, nbd.

More
20 Apr 2013 01:24 #150738 by iguanaDitty
This would be a good thread to point out that Magic's R&D department does not always hit it out of the park. I give this a max of 5 games before you realize how crappy these cards are.

More
20 Apr 2013 16:32 #150779 by dragonstout

iguanaDitty wrote: This would be a good thread to point out that Magic's R&D department does not always hit it out of the park. I give this a max of 5 games before you realize how crappy these cards are.

I give it a max of 1 game.

Homelands was actually designed by people outside of Wizards. There's a great, great podcast about Homelands and its creation here:
media.wizards.com/podcasts/magic/drivetowork25Homelands.mp3

More
20 Apr 2013 16:35 #150780 by Black Barney
yeah, it wasn't my idea for this format but I thought it sounded like fun. I think the idea is to introduce constructed play to our group without it costing a lot.

With D-Stout's help, I made a deck of 61 cards and got it for 43 bucks (shipping, sleeves, land included). 4x Baron Sengir cost 20 bucks, lol.

anyway, it should be fun. Thanks guys for your help and suggestions

Let's touch base in August for a recap on how the event went

More
20 Apr 2013 16:53 #150784 by Bull Nakano
Oh my god. I hope this is a really good troll.

More
21 Apr 2013 00:33 #150792 by dragonstout

Black Barney wrote: yeah, it wasn't my idea for this format but I thought it sounded like fun. I think the idea is to introduce constructed play to our group without it costing a lot.

With D-Stout's help, I made a deck of 61 cards and got it for 43 bucks (shipping, sleeves, land included). 4x Baron Sengir cost 20 bucks, lol.

You bought sleeves for a Homelands deck? :-( For that money you could've upgraded your all-commons cube with a BUNCH of uncommons! If you guys had all pooled your money you spent on your Homelands decks you could've definitely upgraded to a C/Ube! Ah well.

Also, I had no idea that the goal was to introduce constructed play without it costing a lot!!!!!!! If that was the goal, I'd've suggested Pauper Standard: you can literally buy 4x of everything in the format for like $30. Literally. AND you can actually build interesting decks that are genuinely fun to play, and there is depth to the format, and since it's a subset of Standard, it's constantly changing so you can keep up with it for like $15 a year and it'll always be changing.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.220 seconds