October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Selling MTG cards advice

More
26 Jul 2013 17:09 #157203 by MattFantastic
I have a ton of cards, nothing clearly valuable like P9 or anything, but I'm sure there are plenty of cards worth a bit. The question is what's the best way to turn some of these fuckers into money? I still love MtG but outside of some decks I wanna keep and a handful of other stuff, I don't do much of anything other than draft cubes these days (and have friend with quite a few cubes, one of them has over a dozen cubes going) and these cards are just sitting there.

Starcity worth it for not having to deal with the drama? Someone better? Or is it really worth it to go to eBay? Maybe a handful of extra special cards go to eBay and the rest to Starcity?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jul 2013 17:26 - 26 Jul 2013 18:28 #157205 by dragonstout
Short answer is that there isn't a short answer and it's very dependent on what the cards are. PM sent.

Edit: and also very dependent on how much value you're willing to lose.
Last edit: 26 Jul 2013 18:28 by dragonstout.

More
26 Jul 2013 18:00 #157211 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re: Selling MTG cards advice
I'd go with MOTL . I always a lot of luck there, though you'd likely need to third party unless you have feedback. I got rid of > $800 in cards in about two days and everyone was happy.

More
26 Jul 2013 19:56 #157219 by tscook
Replied by tscook on topic Re: Selling MTG cards advice
You could see if one of those places that sells firewood will let you have a box of them next to it marked FREE KINDLING.

More
30 Jul 2013 14:20 #157389 by Black Barney
Matt, do you have a bunch from ICE AGE? I'm looking to buy ICE AGE cards.

More
30 Jul 2013 14:45 - 30 Jul 2013 14:46 #157391 by Disgustipater
It depends how much effort you are willing in putting into it. Selling everything individually seems to net you more money, but it's a lot more work.

When I sold my collection, which was all Time Spiral through Zendikar (so nothing special), and I got about $1500. But I sold everything individually through eBay, and various forums like this one. I basically checked eBay and FMC and set my prices a bit below what you could purchase them for new. After forum sales ran dry, any playsets valued at $5 or more went to ebay, while the rest went into the lot of commons and uncommons. I sold that lot of ~4000 cards for $150-$200. On top of the rare sales, I ended up with about $1500 which I was pretty happy with.
Last edit: 30 Jul 2013 14:46 by Disgustipater.

More
30 Jul 2013 17:14 #157407 by Michael Barnes
I just got this email from one of my old Worthpoint articles:

i have a question. I attended an estate auction several months ago and bought a large lot of sports cards. in a binder in these cards were many of these magic cards. i know nothing about them. recently while talking to a friend im mentioned these. he knew something about these and checked out what i had. he tells me that i am sitting on a small fortune. i have several of what he says is the best card, the black lotis. i have four of these in the front of the binder. they seem to be in perfect condition. if these are meant to be played with, they obviously never have as they look like they just came out of the package. there are at least a few hundred other cards in this set that he says are just as rare but not as valuable. he says they are around 1992. he has offered me five thousand for the entire set. thats alot of money, especially since i only paid $75 for the entire lot of cards. im thinking they could be worth more. any advice is welcome.

This dude might be sitting on 9-10 grade Power Nines. I'm sort of out of the Magic collector's loop right now, what's the best way for this guy to get these graded/sold? I already told him that the _retail_ of these cards is probably twice what he can expect to actually get for them. Does anywhere like Star City Games do grading?

More
30 Jul 2013 18:07 #157415 by jeb
Buuullllshiiiiiiiiit. I call bullshit. My eyes stink. It's a scam.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ken B., Ska_baron

More
30 Jul 2013 18:15 #157417 by dragonstout
WTF is wrong with people who can't be bothered to do proper punctuation and capitalization when discussing a *$5000+ deal*?

If they're really near-minty power, then yes, he should definitely get them graded by PSA, even though it costs money. Starcitygames doesn't do grading. Have them PSA graded, and then my best guess would be to maybe try magictraders (MOTL), and don't sell to anyone with low feedback. That place is full of people interested in super-high-grade stuff like that. Or possibly eBay, I dunno.

More
30 Jul 2013 23:49 #157439 by Michael Barnes
I don't know, you'd be surprised at how many people think that proper writing doesn't matter in emails...

I'm not getting a scam vibe from this,I'm not being asked to wire him funds for the cards or anything like that. I think the guy legitimately happened into an unexpected jackpot and went to a collectibles appraisal site to see about their value, having no real idea of the market. I can totally see some sports card dude in the 90s buying Magic cards either to play or collect and having this around for 20 years or something.

However, if he does ask me to buy them and wire him funds...

More
30 Jul 2013 23:54 #157440 by Black Barney
you should see this through just so we can see what happens. He mispells the best card that he KNOWS is the best card (so he has clearly looked at it) and then specifies that they are in perfect condition.

My favourite line is, ''thats alot of money''

you should write back, ''thats alot of bullshit''

Anyway, see it through just for fun. I think someone is pulling your leg.

...that reminds me, I need to call Ken

More
31 Jul 2013 02:08 #157448 by ChristopherMD
"Hey, what do you think I could sell these cards I got thrown in with some cheap baseball cards for?"

Which response would you give?

A) "Those cards are worth a fortune and I'll personally give you $5000 for them!"

B) "They look fun, I'll give you $50 for them."

More
31 Jul 2013 16:50 #157481 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Re: Selling MTG cards advice

Black Barney wrote:
...that reminds me, I need to call Ken

Look, pal--no more "Blindfolded Shower Rescue." Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me thirteen times, and...well....look, pal--no more "Blindfolded Shower Rescue."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
31 Jul 2013 18:50 #157492 by Michael Barnes
OK, so the guy (if he's telling the truth) took the cards to a shop to have them looked at and the guys there flipped out, advising him to put them in a safe deposit box and get them insured for $100k. He claims to have between four and seven of all of the P9 ('the other cards you mentioned'), specifically seven of each moxen. The Lotuses are Alpha, four of them. It sounds like he has, if it's real, a large collection of Alpha and Beta- everything he has is black border. Likely, again if it's real, multiple dual lands. Interestingly, the original owner was more of a sports card collector so like I said, it could have been someone speculating/banking the cards and then he passed away before sellilng them, leaving executors to assume they're worth $75 or so. Oops.

He seems legitimately surprised- "I guess I need to get educated on these". Still, no "would you like to buy these for $10k, wire transfer" or anything like that.

I asked him to send me some pictures so I could write an article about it...we'll see how that turns out.

More
31 Jul 2013 19:06 #157493 by jeb
The con is long with this one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ken B., Ska_baron

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds