October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Lord of the Rings LCG: Advancing to Khazad-Dum

More
11 Jun 2014 16:53 #180305 by repoman
And they call it a " mine"!

Ok just had to get that out of the way. The real point of the post is to get some input regarding advancing from one adventure to another. I have just successfully wrapped up the Hunt for Gollum series of adventures ( the base set and chapter packs) and am getting ready to tackle the Khazad-Dum expansion and it's associated chapter packs.

My question is if you have done this, how many cards from the Gollum chapter packs did you include in your pool of cards when building decks for Moria? Did you start straight up with the base cards from the starter set and add new cards only as you successfully completed a chapter as I did with Gollum? Did you consider all cards from Gollum available for use? Or somewhere in between?

I understand I could use any cards I see fit but I'm looking for a thematic challenge but conversely I don't want to handicap myself so hard that becomes no more than a frustration.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jun 2014 17:42 #180309 by Hex Sinister
We just use every card that we have available. The more options you have will increase the pool of flavor/theme type cards you might want to add to your decks. The card pool for player decks grows at such a slow rate anyway.

I don't really see the point in limiting what you can use. I guess the "carrot on a stick" approach of saving 'future' cards until you start that adventure pack has it's allure though. Then you can go back and replay the whole thing with the entire set later. So season to taste, really.

By the time you get to Heirs of Numenor you're going to want your entire collection on hand anyway. There are some real nut-crunching adventures in that set. Like an Ettin biting your nuts off hard.

More
12 Jun 2014 13:08 #180366 by mutagen
I also used all of the gollum cards, but this may have been a mistake. I find the game is most interesting when the chapters totally kick your ass, and then you have to tune your deck, and refine your play until you get to a decent win ratio.

Using all the gollum cards, you may find that many of the Khazad-Dum chapters are just trivial. If I had to do it again, I would probably try harder to build a dwarf deck of sorts. I did make some effort along those lines, but the deck sucked and I abandoned the idea. I think part of the problem is that you don't have enough decent dwarf cards until you are about half way through the cycle. Still, it would probably have been an interesting struggle.

Hex is right though, once you get to Numenor you're going to need everything in play, cause those scenarios are f'in brutal.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds