October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Hearthstone Players!

More
30 Apr 2015 02:48 #201665 by MacDirk Diggler
Dude, I am still not convinced you gave the game a fair shake. I suspect you tried a few more plays, got your ass hammered , and quit.

So how is SE version of Arena different than Hearthstone?
What hero class uses a mechanic analogous to Hearthstone "Secret" spells?
What is the secret mechanic called in SE?

If you can't answer these simple questions, then it proves you didn't give it a fair shot.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2015 02:50 - 30 Apr 2015 02:51 #201666 by MacDirk Diggler
Double post
Last edit: 30 Apr 2015 02:51 by MacDirk Diggler.

More
30 Apr 2015 09:28 #201671 by Egg Shen
Replied by Egg Shen on topic Hearthstone Players!

jeb wrote: If you want to Add Friends or be added, you need to send the Battletag and the #, like jeblucas#1574. Here's our current list:

• jeblucas#1574
  • Jackwraith#1816
  • GameTekGuy#1675
  • NotSure#1314
  • QPCloudy#1141

You don't need to be playing forever to have those juiced deck--you need to have been playing for about six months. I started in October and have plenty of good shit. I did spend $50 on the Adventures, and each of those gets you ~6 Legendaries plus some Epics, Rares, &c.

The vast majority of my collection is from packs earned via Arena, quests, or spare gold once I'd accrued enough to keep my Arena habit going.

Oops...my Battletag ID is MRNad15#1538

Yeah, I guess it wouldn't take too long to amass a decent collection of rares and whatnot. I'm still kind of fluttering in the deep end of the pool trying not to sink lol. I'm slowly getting the hang of it all. It's a great game. Like Barnes said, it's almost perfectly designed.

So a quick question that has sort of been answered, but I'm still kinda murky on...what are the major difference between the GvG packs and the classics? I've been picking up all classics at this point, but I wasn't sure when I should make the switch.

More
30 Apr 2015 10:18 #201675 by Gregarius
Replied by Gregarius on topic Hearthstone Players!
I'm really diggin' this thread, keep it up guys!

I started playing a couple of months ago when I got my iPad. I was intimidated because I felt like I was too far behind the curve to be competitive. It didn't matter, though, because the game is just fun. I absolutely hate getting smacked down by those killer decks with nothing but Legendaries, but every once in a while I beat one with better play (or luck of the draw) and that makes it all worthwhile.

I'm still dedicated to not spending a dime, but I get sorely tempted by all those great cards. I did save up 700 g to buy the first Naxxaramas thing, but I'm not sure that was worth it. I have no rational reason for not spending the money other than my opposition to "pay to win."

I've recently become absolutely terrible at the Arena, though. I started out decent, usually getting 2-4 victories and hoped to improve. But the last few times I've been 0-3. It's humiliating. How can I be getting worse at this game?

In ranked play I'm at 18.2, but I don't spend a lot of effort on that. I usually just like to experiment in casual play (and usually get trounced).

More
30 Apr 2015 10:50 #201680 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Hearthstone Players!

rocketkiwi wrote: Had a promising Hunter arena run (4-0 vs Mages!) bomb out at 5-3, but I opened a Sneed's Old Shredder from the pack. VALUE!

The Conservation of Greatness. Not a great run, but the pack makes up for it!

I've got 60/60/40 gold quests today for Paladin, so see me get wrecked in Casual as I try to squeeze out some wins. I want to play Dragon Paladin, but it dies like a dog in the aggressive Casual room. I'll probably switch to Eboladin (think White Weenie if you played MtG.)

Arena is very hot and cold. I have been super tryhard at Arena and my best run is still nine wins. I had back to back 0-3s a couple of weeks ago. My profile here shows my last 12 runs and you can see it's volatile My profile here shows my last 12 runs and you can see it's volatile .

@EggShen: GvG is an expansion and has a "Mech" theme. These are the packs you get from Arena runs (every Arena run gets you a GvG pack, and some smattering of other rewards depending on your # of wins). So if paying 100 gold to buy packs, it's better to get Classic. The Classic set is denser with good cards anyway if you are building a collection.

More
30 Apr 2015 11:02 - 30 Apr 2015 11:06 #201683 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Hearthstone Players!
Barnes is absolutely right. If all you do at 6 mana is play the biggest card in your hand, there's a reason why you might think other card games are better right now and it might be because you're kinda stupid (no offense, Alistair.) There is a time to just play the biggest thing you have because you want to push the issue and make your opponent respond by trashing his board into it, but if you have three other things you can do rather than mindlessly playing your big guy, then it's certainly worth the time to consider it. That's called "getting better at the game."

Stormy, that card is exactly the one I was referencing in my long post: Grim Patron. He takes a little getting used to and can be a gamechanger in Arena if all you have is a bunch of weenies that he can then spawn innumerable 3/3s from. Sometimes that's just how the game goes. He's one of a few cards in the game that have what is known as Super-Taunt. They don't actually have Taunt but everyone will play against them like they do (i.e. Kill it! Kill it NOW!) Other examples include Knife Juggler, Cult Master, and Emperor Thaurissan. Even after people turned against it, I continue to play dual Hellfire in my Demonlock deck, largely because of that card (and because Demonwrath just doesn't kill what needs killing sometimes...)

Gregarius: P2W is perhaps the least applicable label ever applied to Hearthstone. I will say it until I'm blue in the face: You can win with nothing but the basic cards the game gives you. Seriously. It's been done more times than I can count. Trump, one of the more notable streamers out there, has hit legend rank 3 times with 3 different classes using nothing but gold and dust gathered through regular constructed play. Gathering gold, dust, and cards through Arena gives you even more of a leg up. So if you're holding back on spending money based on that principle, I think it's misaligned. But, by all means, play how you want. If you don't want to spend money on the game, don't. It's not required. But if you'd like to throw down a few bucks to see the next adventure or just to have the thrill of opening new cards, don't feel like you're violating some kind of ethical stance as a result. It's all about having fun. If what you want to do is bash around Casual, that's fine. I do it all the time when I'm testing out new ideas that occasionally even work.

But if you ARE going to try to take the game seriously, use this: github.com/Epix37/Hearthstone-Deck-Tracker
I'm not sure if it works on tablets or phones, but it's a brilliant app. It shows you all the cards in your list and tracks them as you use them. It also tracks the cards that come from your opponent's hand and then you can go through simple replays to examine your games and mistakes you might have made. It also tracks all the stats of your individual decks so you know how well you're doing against different decks and classes. It's ridiculously comprehensive. I have just as much fun playing on my phone without it because I know my constructed decks and I know what's in them, but it also works with Arena decks.
Last edit: 30 Apr 2015 11:06 by Jackwraith.

More
30 Apr 2015 11:05 - 30 Apr 2015 11:05 #201685 by Jackwraith

jeb wrote: I've got 60/60/40 gold quests today for Paladin, so see me get wrecked in Casual as I try to squeeze out some wins. I want to play Dragon Paladin, but it dies like a dog in the aggressive Casual room. I'll probably switch to Eboladin (think White Weenie if you played MtG.)

It's Thursday. Last wing with the rest of the drakes. Smash through the bosses and Dragadin may finally be viable...
Last edit: 30 Apr 2015 11:05 by Jackwraith.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
30 Apr 2015 11:07 #201686 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Hearthstone Players!
to be fair, there are some decks in Hearthstone where you shoudl be playing the 6-cost creature once you have six. There are other decks where you wouldn't want to do that necessarily. Just like in Magic, some decks are meant to be played as-is and others offer way more decision points.

I think P2W is a fair label to Hearthstone since if you want to win initially, you have to pay. Otherwise you CAN grind it out but it takes a ton of time before you will be winning consistently. Magic Duels: Origins will surely be the same thing.

More
30 Apr 2015 11:45 #201689 by Gregarius
Replied by Gregarius on topic Hearthstone Players!

Jackwraith wrote: Gregarius: P2W is perhaps the least applicable label ever applied to Hearthstone. I will say it until I'm blue in the face: You can win with nothing but the basic cards the game gives you.

Perhaps you didn't read my whole post... I get very excited when I win with just basic cards. I love that aspect of it. Whether the P2W label is appropriate or not, you can very clearly and quickly determine which of your opponents have spent money and which haven't. It's just a point of pride with me that I have not. It's very easy for me to lick my wounds after a defeat and claim "Of course he won, look at all those fancy cards!" But I also learn from my mistakes and discover new cards that might be worth spending dust on.

I don't know what "take the game seriously" means really, but I enjoy playing the game and tinkering with the decks. If it takes me tons of grinding to earn some of the new cards, I'm cool with it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
30 Apr 2015 12:19 #201693 by Jackwraith

Gregarius wrote: Whether the P2W label is appropriate or not, you can very clearly and quickly determine which of your opponents have spent money and which haven't. It's just a point of pride with me that I have not.

OK. So, I've been playing since July of 2013. In that whole span of time, I've spent $20 on cards. Does that make me a P2W player? I forged my most recent legendary because I opened a golden Troggdor out of a pack I won in Arena. Does that make me "valid" or not? A number of the big streamers have never spent a dime on the game, but they can play any deck currently available. My friend, Nathan, plays Control Warrior and has never spent a cent. That means he has Grommash, Ysera, Sylvanus, Harrison, Alex, Ragnaros, and Dr. Boom in one deck, all earned through gold and dust. But if you played against him, you'd assume that he spent money and/or was "Pay to Win" when I know for a fact that he isn't. What he does happen to be is a player who takes gaining ranks in constructed quite seriously, so he plays almost every day. The fact that it's possible to win games with basic cards against legendary is a sign of solid design. You should be proud that you won a game using what is widely seen as a "lesser" deck, not because you supposedly walked the higher ethical path of not spending money on a game that, incidentally, is made by a company in order to MAKE money, so that they can keep making games for you and me and everyone else.

Gregarius wrote: I don't know what "take the game seriously" means really, but I enjoy playing the game and tinkering with the decks. If it takes me tons of grinding to earn some of the new cards, I'm cool with it.

And that's fine. Like I said, play how you want. I don't begrudge anyone the way they have fun. What I meant by "take the game seriously" is if you want to really advance on the ladder on a regular basis, the app is useful in examining trends and going back through your games to see where you can improve. If that's not your thing, no worries. I'm just offering resources if people are interested. I don't play seriously on the ladder at the moment, either, but I like the app because I find it interesting to reexamine games and see where the turning points were.

More
30 Apr 2015 14:15 #201703 by jeb
It's P2W, but you can pay with time. Unlike things like CANDY CRUSH, there's no "tiered" play where paying money gets you content you can't get otherwise. I despise F2P as a model, but if you are going to do it, do it like HEARTHSTONE does. (Or MAGIC: DUELS will, I suspect).

More Arena woes: I had a really nice Shaman deck and lost to a Hunter that fucking demolished me on turn 6 with a hasty Savannah Highmane (after hitting me with his 8/1 Flesheating Ghoul, mind you), a Paladin that killed me on turn 8 and then a Mage that killed me on turn 6. That last one had Ragnaros, The Firelord off their Unstable Portal. That's pretty fair. Mogor the Ogre in the pack though! (and 85 gold, which is just fine!)

I never played Shadow Era, but the art looks terribly generic if it matters, Alistair. SolForge has this problem too. There's not much you can do if tied to a ye olden tymes theme, I guess. HEARTHSTONE looks cartoony because it's a goofy, funny game. It totally works. The art on ASCENSION is not generic, and I thought it was actually just... bad, but I got used to it and now I can't see it any other way. That ASCENSION-IN-SPACE game also has really generic art--sci-fi brand there.

I wonder how MAGIC:DUELS will do, because MAGIC is way slower. You can't poop out a game and some poop without being on the pot for a long ass time playing MAGIC.

More
30 Apr 2015 18:12 #201726 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Hearthstone Players!
MacDirk, I fail your quiz because both times I've loaded the game up and tried a few games it didn't interest me at all. The art is unappealing, the rules are workmanlike and overall it feels like an OK game, but for that kind of thing I don't want OK. I want something that draws me in and compels me to play. Hearthstone did this right away, I only stopped playing because it wasn't on the phone yet and also because at the time, playing against the two or three top decks over and over again got really old. It was like playing Magic back when everybody figured out Royal Assassin+Oubliette or something.

I am 100% against F2P sales models, but I think Hearthstone is respectful of the player and there is PLENTY of game if you never spend a dollar on it. And there are lots of "free" rewards just for playing...it only gets expensive if you insist on having specific cards and buying random packs to try to build decks. "Paying with time" is definitely a thing, and if you want a Legendary, you can eventually craft your way into it just by playing the game. Note that they do not sell singles- because it's more important from a business perspective that you play the game to earn them or to try to pull one out of a booster than it is to sell them to you outright. Because the matchmaking is connected to your level, you're also almost never going to be up against someone with a top-ranked deck unless it's early in the month and that player hasn't progressed up to his or her standard playing level. It sort of evens out. But like any CCG, you're going to get screwed by the draws (on both sides of the table), you're going to be paired up with players that will just destroy you, you're going to always wish that you had some other card or cards.

They could EASILY have loaded the game up with timers, purchase-able currency packs to buy cards, extra deck slots for sale, cooldown abilities or crafting meters that you can pay to speed up, and so on. The only "P2W" are endemic to all CCG-style games.

Jeb watched one of my games a little while ago. I was so nervous. At least I smushed the dude with a pumped up Lightspawn and a Mind Blast.

More
30 Apr 2015 18:35 - 30 Apr 2015 18:39 #201729 by jeb

Michael Barnes wrote: Jeb watched one of my games a little while ago. I was so nervous. At least I smushed the dude with a pumped up Lightspawn and a Mind Blast.

He's being modest--it was turn 7. The guy was trying to come back with a big old Faceless Manipulator on the 9/9 Lightspawn but it didn't matter.

Watching folks is part of the fun of HEARTHSTONE. It'll be neat to see if WotC tries to enable that too.

//edit

One thing to warn newer players about is "farming." Some folks intentionally concede at the turn of the month to bust all the way down to the lower ranks so they can romp with high-powered decks against new/inexperienced players. It's a dick move of the highest order. If you are Rank 23 and some Golden Portrait Wallet Warrior shows up, feel free to take the full 90 seconds per turn and spam your threats constantly.

Let this slide in the Casual room though, because folks might be trying something out before they bring it to the ladder.
Last edit: 30 Apr 2015 18:39 by jeb.

More
30 Apr 2015 21:04 #201730 by SebastianBludd
Replied by SebastianBludd on topic Hearthstone Players!

Egg Shen wrote:

jeb wrote: If you want to Add Friends or be added, you need to send the Battletag and the #, like jeblucas#1574. Here's our current list:

• jeblucas#1574
  • Jackwraith#1816
  • GameTekGuy#1675
  • NotSure#1314
  • QPCloudy#1141

You don't need to be playing forever to have those juiced deck--you need to have been playing for about six months. I started in October and have plenty of good shit. I did spend $50 on the Adventures, and each of those gets you ~6 Legendaries plus some Epics, Rares, &c.

The vast majority of my collection is from packs earned via Arena, quests, or spare gold once I'd accrued enough to keep my Arena habit going.

Oops...my Battletag ID is MRNad15#1538

I'm Boddicker#1542 and I literally started playing yesterday. I like how they halved the deck size from MTG so making a deck isn't so overwhelming. I've never drafted in any format in any game so I'm looking forward to Arena even though right now I'm a flailing noob.

More
30 Apr 2015 21:49 #201731 by rocketkiwi
Replied by rocketkiwi on topic Hearthstone Players!
I'm Dom#1815 if anyone needs a pack for spectating and catches me early in an arena run (past two wins I make no promises).

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.452 seconds