October 09, 2023
2286 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Hearthstone Players!

More
28 Jun 2016 03:05 - 28 Jun 2016 03:07 #229444 by MacDirk Diggler
With a few hundred Yogg games under my belt, I experienced something today that was fresh to the Yogg cannon..... I mean canon.

A priest thought stole Yogg from my Rogue deck.... He played it against my board with Sylvanis and another lesser minion. It killed Sylvanis and Yogg flipped to my side. Then all the awesome goodness Yogg had to offer was cast as though I had played him, I was drawing cards and getting secrets.

Moral of the story... Don't play Yogg against Sylvanis
Last edit: 28 Jun 2016 03:07 by MacDirk Diggler.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jun 2016 11:47 #229456 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Hearthstone Players!
Finally got my second Blade of C'Thun (Rogue Epic, 9-mana 4/4 with "Battlecry: Destroy a minion. Add its Attack and Health to C'Thun's." Its a late game Assassinate on a 4/4 body that happens to make your even later game play MORE sick.

/dosequiis I don't play C'Thun often my friends, but when I do, it's for 20+.

Last one was 22/24 I think. Druids are Blade farms. Everything they play is huge. It was nice to have Thistle Tea copy Blade too, I gotta admit.

Playing some Reno Mage. Man, that deck is super sticky. You can pretty much count on Ice Block working, so Reno usually fires for 29 life. Blizzard, Flamestrike, Doomsayer for AoE, Frostbolt, Fireball, Flame Lance (!), Arcane Blast, Forgotten/Roaring Torch, Forbidden Flame for targeted removal. It's grindy, but it's really good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
28 Jun 2016 15:58 #229464 by Hex Sinister
Replied by Hex Sinister on topic Hearthstone Players!
Question:

If somebody mind controls my C'Thun is it considered "dead"? What if it's turned into a frog, etc?
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
28 Jun 2016 17:42 #229468 by jeb
Polymorph, Entomb, Hex, Mind Control, Sylvanas, "burn" from overdrawing, &c don't make C'Thun "dead." Dead C'Thuns hit the table and get wrecked in play. So Sacred Trial, for example, does make C'Thun dead. That's important to remember if you play Doomcaller. The other thing to remember about C'Thun is that the buffs are on THE PLAYER. You don't need C'Thun in your deck to make Emperor work, &c.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister

More
29 Jun 2016 18:34 - 29 Jun 2016 18:47 #229511 by jeb
NZoth Shaman is a good time. I watched it played by Firebat, who was inspired by TidesOfTime, so if you haven't seen it yet, you probably will. The idea is to have a nice long-lasting game, and make lots of big Deathrattle creatures die. Abuse the standard Shaman load of Things From Below and maybe a Flamewreathed Faceless, but mostly as removal magnets because you follow up with Chillmaw and Sylvanas and get them all back when you play NZoth. It's Control Shaman! My favorite way to play! This might be the most dust-intensive deck I have ever played, >13,000.

2x Ancestral Knowledge
2x Ancestral Spirit
2x Lava Shock
2x Stormcrack
2x Elemental Destruction (I have 1, so playing a Huge Toad here)
2x Farsight (I have 1, so playing a Polluted Hoarder here)
2x Healing Wave
2x Hex
2x Lightning Storm
2x Earth Elemental (I have 1, so playing Flamewreathed Faceless)
2x Faceless Manipulator (copy Chillmaw/Sylvanas if able, or something cool the opponent made. It's nice to get a Deathrattle)
Lx Hallazeal the Ascended
Lx Cairne Bloodhoof (I have 0, so playing Fire Elemental)
Lx Emperor Thaurissan
Lx Sylvanas Windrunner
2x Thing From Below
Lx Chillmaw
Lx N'Zoth the Corrupter

The real build is almost guaranteed to win jousts, so Healing Wave is normally 14.
Far Sight also pays off with a curve this high.
You need to draw out the removal that doesn't "kill" stuff with your non-Deathrattle guys. See post above for examples.
No activator for Chillmaw! Doesn't matter, it's a 6/6 Taunt for 7 that comes back to life. Maybe twice or more times depending on you plays.
Last edit: 29 Jun 2016 18:47 by jeb.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
29 Jun 2016 19:09 - 29 Jun 2016 19:52 #229512 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Hearthstone Players!
Huh. That curve is ridiculous. No 4s, 5 5s, 5 6s, 2 7+. And 10 3s. I know I only have 1 Farsight, if that, because the card is ass except specifically in the case of a deck like this. If I were you, I'd play a Sentinel in place of the Toad. With that much Overload, it might come in handy in the later game and will effectively be the same tempo as the Toad otherwise. Polluted Hoarder is a good thought, though, since it fits the theme. Crazy. Might just try it.

Edit: So I tried one game against a Reno Warrior. I won because he just couldn't keep up with the stream of legendaries. I forged one Farsight and used Hoarder for the other slot. I also only have 1 Faceless; not sure why I've never forged another one, so I replaced that with a Twilight Hammer, just because I wanted to try it and it stays in theme. Too bad N'Zoth doesn't revive weapons. I was able to experience the full extent of the deck. Turn 4 Earth Elemental with Ancestral Spirit is OK, right? N'Zoth bringing out EE, Cairne, 2 Sylvanus, and a Chillmaw isn't bad, either. Even got a 14 off Healing Wave courtesy of the Emperor winning a joust with an Armorsmith. I think luck was on my side, though. Every time I needed Wrath of Air, I rolled it, giving me a 3-4 Storm that wiped out all 4 of his Patrons plus a Ghoul and then a Stormcrack for 5 against his Baron Geddon. Cool deck, man. Thanks.
Last edit: 29 Jun 2016 19:52 by Jackwraith.

More
29 Jun 2016 21:08 #229516 by jeb
Isn't that fun! I don't mind losing to decks like this. I lost to this crazy Shadowform deck today. Weird interactions, big creatures, all sorts of oddball math to figure out ("if I cast Elemental Destruction and it hits for 4 there, then he can Shadowform here, but that means my Faceless lives...") I just want things to be interesting. I know how to lose to Zoo.

More
30 Jun 2016 08:58 #229529 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Hearthstone Players!
Ha. Here's Firebat with the deck turning Healing Wave into something this poor Priest never expected:

More
30 Jun 2016 10:44 #229542 by Dogmatix
Replied by Dogmatix on topic Hearthstone Players!
Christ on a crutch....that's just brutal

More
30 Jun 2016 12:02 #229544 by jeb

Dogmatix wrote: Christ on a crutch....that's just brutal

I really like watching Firebat's streams. He lets you in on his thought process constantly--he called that Auchenai-Healing Wave play as soon as he saw Auchenai hit the table 15 turns earlier. The rest is setup--he knows the Priest is going for a long game, he knows a Thaurrisan tick is needed to pull the whole shebang off, he's just concerned with OTK--can the Priest blast him down with some weirdo thing? If it's a grindy Concede Priest, then it's in the bag.

Because he's not running Polluted Hoarder or Bloated Toad (like me) he will almost never lose a joust. I lost one today to Midrange Hunter and those extra 7 health would have bought me another turn--that's a big deal in a deck with so much Healing and AoE. As it was, Hunter busted down to two cards, cleared my board every turn with Freezing Trap up and got both Calls on turns 8 and 9. That was rough for Team Jeb.

I finally lost in Wild. I was playing Warlock Zoo, and streaked to 14.3 from 20.1 (12 wins in a row). My loss coming at the hands of another Zoo deck. I had the sicker plays, but he had Dire Wolf Alphas and shredded me.

More
30 Jun 2016 13:01 #229550 by SebastianBludd
Replied by SebastianBludd on topic Hearthstone Players!
Congrats on the second Blade of C'thun. Few things in HS are more fun that having two in your hand and dropping both on your opponent's head two turns in a row ("He probably doesn't have two of them in his hand!").

I've been playing Zoolock in Wild as well but not as much as I'd like. I lost to a Paladin last night after my mulligan netted me Dr. Boom, both Belchers and Power Overwhelming in my starting hand. It was close but a decent start would have made all the difference. I did manage to beat a Zoolock - since I'm something like 67-1 in mirror matches despite my distaste for them - by just outracing my opponent. I gambled that they weren't running any Hellfires (or hand't drawn any) so I was able to play Forbidden Ritual on curve on Turn 3 without being punished.

I had my own personal Trolden moment about a week ago against a Tempo Warrior when I killed his only dude with a 4 damage Implosion, leaving me with a 5/3 Darkshire Councilman and 4 Tentacles. My opponent responded with Brawl and it spit out my Councilman ("Extraordinary!"). I buffed him to 7/3 with a couple more dudes and the concession was a turn later.

I have about 5,100 dust and I can't decide what to do with it. Ysera's awesome but if I'm going to do the Control thing I'd rather roll with N'Zoth and take my chances with Rag. I'm also tempted by Grommash, and I'm very tempted by Leeroy since he's a good neutral finisher and I could sub him in for the Doomguard in my Zoo deck. And that's not even mentioning Thalnos, Yogg, Malygos, Alex or Harrison. And then I realize I want a second Call of the Wild, two Ice Blocks and a second Doomhammer... Looks like Anomalus and both Giant Sand Worms might be heading for the dust pile.

More
30 Jun 2016 18:22 - 30 Jun 2016 18:31 #229573 by MacDirk Diggler
Long rambling post to follow.

Well, I had thought my run to 7 on the ladder was likely a fluke, so my mission this month was to try and legitimize myself. I was ready to be happy if i made it below 10 though. I got stalled at 9.5.... which is almost 8... which close to 7... so 6 more wins and I coulda been somebody. My first mistake was playing the first week at all (because I was matched up with sharks), my second mistake was messing with the deck to swap out a Forgotten torch for something. Just yesterday it finally dawned on me that I had accidentally removed a Flamewaker....doh! Probably 100 games on the ladder without a Flamewaker makes 9.5 look real good. Dragging on the iPad with chubby fingers sux. So yeah. I am pretty sure I can get to 7 again if I wanted to with that deck, but I am over it, tired of playing it.

The ladder, yikes. It's crazy but from my vantage point 12-14 you see tons of aggro decks, below 10 it's all control all the time. Not as much regular old Doomhammer Shaman this month either. But I am not having as much fun on the ladder as I am in casual either. It's shit like Firebat pulled that wears me out. You are cruising along and have north of 20 life and some nice cards in hand and then, WHAM, out of the blue, yer dead. And everyone is controlling all game trying to set that shit up or some old god shenanigans.

Warrior- Raging worgen(windfury)+Inner rage+Inner rage+Rampage+Rampage+Charge= 28 damage
Mage- Freezy with Ice Block (cock block), Alexstrasza. Next turn they blast you apart with 15 damage in spells.
Mage- Played lots of draw cards.... Thaurissan reduces next cards by 1. Then Malygos+ Frostbolt+Frostbolt+Ice Lance+Ice Lance= 34 damage

Also, Priest or Warrior plus Justicar... not fun to play against. Not at all. Ya, fuck priests. Firebat gave that priest what he deserved.

But, the Arena!!!!!!! It's a nice respite from the broken decks on the ladder. It's fun to not be controlled, blasted or fatigued. Just some good old brain gymnastics doing math and trying to make chicken salad out of a random lot of cards. I had some real nice runs this month. I was sitting on 4k gold and made an arena run every day if I had time and kept making more money. Had a Paladin open with 7 wins in a row and a few 6 win runs. I finally decided to blow my gold and get some packs, and that led me to 5 legendaries this month. Crafted N Zoth and Sylvanis. I pulled another Hogger and Anamolous which I will likely dust. And Gormok will fit nicely into Warlock Zoo deck. Finally got a Doomhammer!!!!! @Sebastian Thalnos is versatile like Sylvanis... probably on my top 3 wants right now. I like Yogg and any deck that has Yogg can use a Thalnos.

One fun deck I like to play is a Reno Rogue. I figure most people face a Rogue and expect some kid of turn 8 Cold Blood bursty thang out of concealed minions, or to be cut down by some huge pumped sword. So I feel like a boxer who switches over to Southpaw mid-game. When Reno drops It's kinda unexpected I think. And when you Shadowstep Reno or N'Zoth they rage-quit half the time. It kind of sucks against aggro, but rules over C'thun or fatigue decks. And it has Yogg in it too! Win rate is over 80% if I live to draw Reno, and not nearly as good if I don't.

I wish I could try any of that Shaman stuff, I just have like... literally... nothing in Shaman that is epic besides a Doomhammer. I also missing all the good evil priest stuff. Someday......
Last edit: 30 Jun 2016 18:31 by MacDirk Diggler.

More
30 Jun 2016 18:38 #229575 by jeb
Bloodmage Thalnos is one of the best Legends in the game. It's hard for me to think of a Rogue deck that doesn't get better with Thalnos. As a Rogue, you want cards and Spell Damage, and you want it cheap to activate Combo. So... Thalnos. Azure Drake gets played for the same reasons, but I can't turn 5 make a 1/1, a 3/3, and hit for 2 with Azure Drake. He shines in Moonkin as well, and makes any Reno deck better just by being a good card.

I still don't have Alexstrasza. I don't really have an urge there either--doesn't really suit my style of play. My next Legend will probably be Xaril, The Poisoned Mind or Twin Emperor Vek'lor. Might just fill in Epics though. I still can't play Renounce Darkness or Shadowform Priest until I get 2x on those key cards.

More
30 Jun 2016 20:45 #229579 by MacDirk Diggler
Ah I was remiss in not mentioning the following combo

Leeroy+rock biter+rock biter+wind fury=24 damage.

I lost to that one once too.... Just cruising against a Shaman.

More
01 Jul 2016 14:20 #229616 by jeb
So I finished the month around 33-28 on the Standard ladder--juuust above .500. With streaks, it got me to 14.2, so a golden common, golden rare, and 10 dust in prizes. I also made it to 14.3 in Wild, going 14-3 (a .82 winning percentage). If you want to get ranks, it's probably better to do Wild if you have the cards. There are some pretty degenerate interactions and the streaks can carry you high.

Got 100 gold today and had my son open a pack (he's 4). He opened a Ragnaros for his brother yesterday and today he opened Xaril. I think he'll be opening everything from now on, it's obviously his mutant power. With Xaril, I am going to be playing C'Thun Rogue because that shit is fun. Lost a tough one yesterday----to C'THUN ROGUE! I thought he was N'Zoth given his earlier plays, so it was a sad moment when his Blade took out my 8/8 van Cleef. I could kill his 22/22 C'Thun with my Blade, but he still had the damage to kill me on the board. He did play Taunts, and I might think about that in the high ranks to calm some of the Aggro chaos up here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mantidman

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.360 seconds