October 09, 2023
2456 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2660 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Hearthstone Players!

More
29 Sep 2016 14:36 #235166 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Hearthstone Players!
We disagree here. I think Yogg is done on the competitive scene, especially once it could give you Overload. If it still sees play, it will be limited to Druid, which doesn't have a good AoE "clear." (Poison Seeds? Blz pls) This nerf is substantial here, competitively, because the reason you played Yogg was to "get the clear" and then please-hey-maybe-just-this-once-Ben-Brode, some cool shit like Call of the Wild or Mindgames or something to give you a board and/or cards after it killed the world. Yogg can compete with all kinds of cards as a recovery-and-then-some mechanic in decks, but I don't know if it can compete as a "maybe clear" which is the role it would fill now. You play it because you NEED to get rid of that board that's going to kill you. And it might have the bonus of being unbelievably good. After the nerf--you might still get the clear--but all the cool shit after Twisting Nether is gone, and at 10-mana, that's too much. I think Druids will move back to C'Thun. Other decks might migrate to N'Zoth + Chillmaw to make an attempt at board recovery. Yogg is done at Tier 1... but it will always be Tier 1 in my heart.

I wish Priest was good. I lost to a guy playing the 2/3 C'Thun guy for 3. That's a terrible card. They have terrible cards in their deck, making terrible choices and I still lose. Ugh.

I am working on Renounce Darkness builds. It's tough. I have tried Reno (inconsistent), Zoo (Zoo is kind of bad right now--too much discard synergy punishes Renounce), Handlock (NO), and have settled on this kind of odd build that tops out with Chillmaw + Sylvanas + NZoth for stable(ish) late game, and runs lots of early clears for that portion (Doomsayer, Demonwrath, Hellfire). At some point, I flip the switch and it's off.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Sep 2016 15:50 #235172 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic Hearthstone Players!
I agree with Jeb about Yogg -- basically eliminated any ability to use him.

Also, I think that the RNG used by Hearthstone might not be truly an RNG as we would expect -- a uniform distribution where each card has an equal chance. I have started tracking it to get long term hard numbers, but I am certain that the probability that my first or second card I draw being one that I also mulliganed is way too high.

More
30 Sep 2016 03:04 #235222 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic Hearthstone Players!

Space Ghost wrote: I agree with Jeb about Yogg -- basically eliminated any ability to use him.

Also, I think that the RNG used by Hearthstone might not be truly an RNG as we would expect -- a uniform distribution where each card has an equal chance. I have started tracking it to get long term hard numbers, but I am certain that the probability that my first or second card I draw being one that I also mulliganed is way too high.

No shit.

I swear (and I'm not talking confirmation bias) that if I pitch a card in the mulligan, I draw the damn thing better than 50% of the time as my first draw. I just laugh about it usually, but I think their RNG seeding is wack.

More
30 Sep 2016 20:58 - 30 Sep 2016 21:18 #235285 by MacDirk Diggler
Ahhhhh, bummer about Yogg. Getting this news as I was about to come in here and post my epiphany great deck idea that works for every class. It went like this... Azure drakes, Arcane Giants, an assload of spells, and Yogg. I bet you've seen it a few times. Hell I bet you even played it. My other insanely great deck idea is Dragons. Not much I want to add to that, just Dragons.

I think it was Hotform as the first person I heard talking about that being the best way to nerf Yogg. I am ok with it, I will still use him. I never counted on Yogg as a win condition. Just would play him if I got behind on board or my opponent dropped Deathwing and I didn't have any other killshot. Anything to jack up Shaman I am ok with. I don't play Shaman, ever, and am tired of playing against THAT deck.

I lost my race to legend with Jeb, though neither of us made legend, he got the better rank this season. I started out with lifecoach's dragon warrior. Ran it up to 12 or so, but it stalled and I felt like the deck itself stalled around 8 mana where I was out of cards. Also ran into issues where I didn't have a Dragon to activate an ability. So I took out Nzoth first mate and Blood to Ichors put in Book Wyrms and those nether spirit guys that discover dragons. So it was less aggro, more midrange. I could never get it below 11 one win away from 10. So I got tired of the exercise and just played with any old deck. I am onto something surprisinly good. Grim Patron warrior!!!! Nobody really playing that on the ladder now and I think people still flip out when they see 3 patrons hit the table turn 6. (Patron, inner rage, whirlwind). The deck uses Acolyte of pain, Rsvsging Ghoul, Wild Pyro, Patron, Arcane Giants, Yogg. Then two Fiery War axe. And or course an assload of spells... Commanding shout, anything that draws or does 1 damage. You gotta mulligan for the Wild Pyro and Axe. Pyro is critical for early game board control until you can drop some patrons. You would think there would be plenty of AOE floating around to clear a board of patrons.... But so far I am having good success at 12-13 on the ladder.

Jeb, you will always be legend in my mind.
Last edit: 30 Sep 2016 21:18 by MacDirk Diggler.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
01 Oct 2016 22:13 - 01 Oct 2016 22:18 #235303 by jeb
I started with Dragon Warrior too, but that switch to Aggro Shaman and then Secret Hunter put me over the Rank 12 wall I usually hit. I made it up to Rank 6, finished at 7. (Top 4%). Got 200 dust worth of goldens, 25 dust, and the cardback.

I'll be working on Wild this Season. Weirder decks, weirder opponents, powerful effects. The meta is in Standard is going to be chaotic, folks trying to jam in games and ranks in the last moments of the understood game of Amazing Yogg and Shaman All Powerful. Once the switcheroo happens (Oct 7?), there will be a stir as folks move to slower decks, Freeze Mage will be back, Control Warrior, Midrange Shaman, and maybe Beast Druid. Priest still sucks.

Hey, Alistair--Grim Patron could be a thing with that Charge nerf. At 1-mana, that moves into activator territory, and has synergies with Wild Pyro. Keep it in mind!
Last edit: 01 Oct 2016 22:18 by jeb.

More
04 Oct 2016 11:33 #235479 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Hearthstone Players!
Dusted Yogg for one of the few basic legendaries I've always wanted but never pulled or got around to crafting: Malygos. 1600 in, 1600 out. Now, I don't have any Malygos decks in mind at the moment, but it's nice to have if something does catch my eye. I may try to actually play a couple games this season with my totems deck and see if Tuskarr is really that bad now. I have until the 17th to dust him for full value, although he's only a rare, so it's not a windfall.

More
04 Oct 2016 17:47 - 04 Oct 2016 17:52 #235494 by MacDirk Diggler
Malygos is tied w Justicar atop my want list. I always wanted to make a Druid deck w Barnes,Rags and Malygos as my only minions. Don't play Barnes on curve though if you ever try it. In case Malygos pops out.
Justicar I feel you really need if you want a top tier control warrior or any kind of Priest deck. Been wanting to field an evil Priest for a while but not without the pumped up burn hero power.
I don't see anyone using the 4/4 rogue minion that gives another minion stealth. I fired up Questing ,Adventurer Rogue with those and two conceal spells. Wow. Turn six 18/10 Quest adventurers are a motherfucker coming out of stealth. I got the idea listening to Firebat complain that conceal was one of the most broken mechanics left in the game. Gotta be a dick and leverage that broken shit while I can. I call the deck MC Hammer Rogue (can't touch this)
Last edit: 04 Oct 2016 17:52 by MacDirk Diggler.

More
04 Oct 2016 18:02 #235498 by Brewmiester
Replied by Brewmiester on topic Hearthstone Players!
How long does the dust buff last after the cards change? I'm sitting on a pile of classic decks trying to pop my pity timer on Old Gods but if the buff isn't very long I'll just have to start opening my pile so I don't lose out.

More
05 Oct 2016 07:39 #235512 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Hearthstone Players!
You have until the 17th to dust them for full value.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brewmiester

More
27 Oct 2016 08:40 #237027 by Mantidman
Replied by Mantidman on topic Hearthstone Players!
Quiet in here.
Noticed some new quest types:
It's a Secret to Everyone - Play 10 Secrets = 50 gold
Beyond the Dark Portal - Play 15 Demons = 50 gold
and one that requires playing 10 Weapons for 50 gold

My Secret Hunter and Hell Unbound decks will see some play.

More
27 Oct 2016 12:45 #237049 by jeb
Yeah, those new Quests are neat. I had Play 30 Combo cards. they are all laid out here:
hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Quest

It's made Casual a little more casual, finally! Folks are using it to play Murloc decks and shit to get these weird quests. not every quest is about "winning X games" and that has improved the mentality there a lot.

Did you all pick a champion at : us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/esports/tou...choose-your-champion ?
You get a TGT pack, and maybe up to 6 more depending on how they do. I went with Naiman, who lost on the last draw of the last game of a best of 7 in the first round. He needs to win out now.

I climbed to 15 in Wild, tryharding with Priest. I climbed to 15 in Standard fucking around with whatever I needed for dailies (Bubble Pally, Thief Rogue, a bad Warrior deck running Bolster on purpose). Taking advantage of this Win 2 for a win streak bug they got going I guess.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mantidman

More
27 Oct 2016 15:45 #237060 by SebastianBludd
Replied by SebastianBludd on topic Hearthstone Players!
I just lost to someone playing a Murloc Shaman deck to complete their quest while I was playing Beast Druid to complete my Beastmaster (Play 20 Beasts) quest. He went all aggro and I drew like crap (too many spells in my Beast Druid deck, methinks; this deck should be all about board control so I don't think I need 2x of spells like Feral Rage or Naturalize) so I conceded on Turn 7.

I picked Thijs because he was literally the only one I'd heard of and I was glad to hear he won.

Bubble Paladin is super fun and I really like how you can steer your opponent's plays by what does/doesn't have divine shield, as well as a well-timed Steward of Darkshire . It's an aggro deck that doesn't make me feel dirty, not even after dropping Blessing of Kings on one of my Divine Shielded weenies. I use a list that has Leeroy and man, that's a card I'm enjoying way more than I thought I would. Especially since playing him always seems like a dick move when my opponent thinks they've stabilized. Playing against aggro I always dread hearing his warcry but using him to finish off a Freeze Mage or Maly Druid is so satisfying. I used it to get to 17 but haven't been motivated to climb higher. I'm still in gold hoarding mode and waiting to hear the expansion news on Nov. 4.

More
27 Oct 2016 18:16 #237074 by jeb
You said it about gold hoarding. I am at 6600+ now. It's gonna raaaaaain.

I have been messing around with an OTK-like Paladin deck in Wild, but the idea translates to Standard just fine. It's Control Paladin, but instead of relying on a suite of Murlocs and Anyfin for the big win, you use a stealthed fatty (Shade of Naxx in Wild, Stalking Tiger in Standard), and then dress it up with Blessed Champion for a massive hit. Ideally I get a Thaurissan tick in there somewhere, so I can come over with Blessing of Might and double Blessed Champion for the outrageous hit.

Was playing against a Freeze Mage who turtled up behind an Ice Block and was around 22 life or so, and I was able to hit my 7/3 Shade for +3, Blessed Champion for 20, and Eater of Secrets to kill em with a Truesilver hit and the Shade. Good times. Man I love beating Mages.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mantidman

More
30 Oct 2016 22:16 - 30 Oct 2016 22:18 #237205 by MacDirk Diggler
I took Jasonzhou as my champion knowing nothing about 90% of those guys. Liked his decks. He is still alive, but having watched some of it I would make Amnesiac as the favorite. One thing I noticed is how flukey the Discolock decks play. Mostly I have seen them go down in flames because they don't draw right or discard the silverware when asked. I did see somebody take down Tempomage with Discolock in 6 turns on Sunday.
I mostly been playing a"you can't kill me" warrior this month. It's not fatigue warrior with Violet Illusionist Coldlight combo that is trendy (Firebat streamed it). But it's based off HSdog deck that does include Coldlights. They come in handy against other control decks that are trying to hoard cards to fill in a combo. You wait until they have 8 in hand and shock them with some Coldlights. They also come in handy to fish for removal you have not drawn yet. I also include a Fierce Monkey, Stampeding Kodo, and one Azure Drake in the Curator package. I also include Prince Malchazaar and he adds another random epic dragon half the time. The rest of the deck is filled with all the removal tools that warrior has, plus Justicar of course. It's not crazy reliable deck, but the games are varied and fun.
I am bummed out that I have not gotten my Malygos yet and I heard Emperor Thaurissan is due to rotate out, so it's almost too late for Malygos. All the combo OTK burst decks will fall by the wayside without the discount.
Last edit: 30 Oct 2016 22:18 by MacDirk Diggler.

More
02 Nov 2016 17:16 - 02 Nov 2016 17:21 #237380 by MacDirk Diggler
This week is my favorite tavern brawl in a long time. But it's also broken. No spoilers, but if you are not playing as Warlock then concede if you draw Warlock. I would love to observe warlock v warlock battle. Must end in fatigue. I have about 75% non warlock win rate with ramp Druid. Rags finishes with eerie statues and watchmen as early taunts, force tank max can go either side and faceless can copy anything with big stats. Naturalize is my only removal. Cold lights speed things up and help me find ramp if I don't draw it.
C'thun druid is hard to beat. I have not tried it, but have lost to it. Lots of Murlocy Paladins and shamans out there
Last edit: 02 Nov 2016 17:21 by MacDirk Diggler.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.372 seconds