October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Hearthstone Players!

More
26 May 2017 14:36 #249151 by Hex Sinister
Replied by Hex Sinister on topic Hearthstone Players!
I've had highs and lows with HS but I think post Ungoro I've suffered from the most losses. At least it feels like I win a lot less. Or perhaps it's the amount of curb stomp on my ass - not as many "close" games recently.

Achievement Unlocked: 80/80 Stormwatcher, windfury.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 May 2017 04:36 #249215 by Matt Thrower
Replied by Matt Thrower on topic Hearthstone Players!

Hex Sinister wrote: I've had highs and lows with HS but I think post Ungoro I've suffered from the most losses. At least it feels like I win a lot less. Or perhaps it's the amount of curb stomp on my ass - not as many "close" games recently.

I don't know if I get stomped harder, but I'm definitely winning less. Before Un'Goro my aim for a season was rank 10: I often didn't get there, but I was usually close. Since Un'Goro I probably average about rank 14.

Early games are still easy to steamroll: it's past rank 15 that it suddenly gets hard to progress. Which makes me wonder if it isn't Un'Goro that's caused this but the new breakpoints in ranked mode. There are going to be a lot of semi-decent players (by which I include me) clogging up rank 15 now, where once some of them would have dropped due to bad luck.

More
30 May 2017 12:10 #249249 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Hearthstone Players!
I bet you're right about that. I think the tiers are causing some talent pile-ups. I like it though. I'd like it less if I was playing really tuned climbing decks I bet. But I mostly play garbage and need to streak to advance. I would often "streak" back down to Rank 19 from 14+ trying to get Hobgoblin to work when Patron was playable. Now I can goof off and not feel like a jerk when I pound on obviously-brand-new-player back there. When I feel like I need to win, I play Beast Hunter. When I am having a good time, I play Yogg Druid.

My experience with Un'goro has largely been: I win in tight matches, where max value from each draw needs to be extracted to avoid defeat. I lose on turn 4 without having a card on the board. Utter blowouts. Druid, Rogue, Warrior can all crush me and my early game is bashful. Or I lose to a Mage that never ever even once could possibly NOT have the card I have picked out in my head as the worst thing for them to have right now. Volcanic Potion, BOOM, yep. Oh you're the guy that runs Cone of Cold, WSSSHHH, Ok. Ah, yes, Fireball, Fireball, Frostbolt to mop up that tricky final 15 life of mine. Good times.

More
30 May 2017 15:21 #249257 by MacDirk Diggler
I must be doing it wrong. I keep climbing. I probably put more time into HS than most though. I have become somewhat of a student of the game, sad as that may sound. I watch some streams at night. I watch some tourneys. I go to metastats.com and check the latest snapshot to see what decks are kicking ass. I play top decks though Sometimes I mess around with an idea and had some good success with Burgly Bully Red Mana wyrm Archmage deck I conceived. But if I see a deck kicking ass on stream I will try and make it. I saw Orange playing Aggro Druid he called Xixo. So I know where he borrowed it from. I figured if it was good enough for Orange I would give it a shot. and climbed from 5-3 with it on a streak.
Mostly I just try and screw around with a new deck so I am not bored. Then eventually I climb a few ranks. Then I get serious and push for the next plateau. I was 10-16 most of the month. Then when I hit ten I blew a sigh of relief and played priest and sat at 10 for a few days. At some point I quit priest and just rotate between Quest Warrior, Quest Rogue, aggro Druid, evolve Shaman, midrange pally, and whatever Mage build I favor at the moment. I play one until I lose and then switch. Got to 3 somehow but it's very difficult to get to legend. No streak bonus.
Next month gotta learn Hunter. It bores the fuck out of me for some reason but I am gonna give it a shot.

More
30 May 2017 15:46 #249258 by jeb

MacDirk Diggler wrote: Next month gotta learn Hunter. It bores the fuck out of me for some reason but I am gonna give it a shot.

I like Hunter a lot (now). Face Hunter is and will be dumb, but that's fine. Midrange Hunter is a good time. You can feel the game turn and start moving with a sense of inevitability. You need to be aware of your "outs" in the endgame--your Hero Power negates Priest and Warrior, but can you get over? Do you have a way to deal with a big Taunt? Should you hold this Beast in case you topdeck Kill Command? Tracking or no? Do you play enough Beasts to make Houndmaster awesome? What about Rhino? Top out at Highmane? Or brave a Call of the Wild?

More
30 May 2017 18:32 #249263 by MacDirk Diggler
Lots of hunter stuff to think about. I like bittertide hydra over call of the wild. Highland is back breaking gotta have those. Unleash/ hyena combo. Rhino sticks its sooo scary. I saw RDU this am saying you can't play hunter on ladder because too many aggro Druid which owns hunter? Not sure about that. But another thing he was talking about at length which is a good idea.....
Being able to ban a class before you hit the cue up game button. Like a few months back you would have been able to ban Shaman. Or if you hate Quest rogue. Or how it makes deckbuilding interesting if you know you won't have to tech for certain blind spots of whatever your deck does. People were saying that would be no good because win rate of certain decks would go through the roof. I dunno. It would be fun to try that though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brewmiester

More
30 May 2017 20:25 - 30 May 2017 20:26 #249264 by jeb
I run Bittertide in Aggro, but not Midrange. It can cost you games against Shaman with Volcano. I've been playing Nesting Roc in the 5-spot. It's a lifesaver in quite a few matchups and can give Priest fits. I also top out at Highmane, running 2x Deadly Shot and 1x Ironbeak Owl for tricky stuff.

I applied for a job at Blizzard and suggested single-card bans as something to consider. You could still roll into any Hero, and but you know they won't have card X, at least.
Last edit: 30 May 2017 20:26 by jeb.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brewmiester

More
31 May 2017 04:53 #249276 by Matt Thrower
Replied by Matt Thrower on topic Hearthstone Players!

MacDirk Diggler wrote: I go to metastats.com and check the latest snapshot to see what decks are kicking ass. I play top decks though.

This is another thing that seems to have changed since Un'Goro. I also tend to run with top-tier netdecks where I can, but they don't seem anywhere near as reliable in lower ranks as they used to be. I tried the "control mage" that was allegedly top dog recently and just got crucified by faster decks in the rank ~15 meta. Couldn't get it to work at all.

I guess I could have been playing it wrong. But I had a similar, if less extreme, experience with the current mid-range Paladin deck. Now that's a deck I now how to play well, because it's quite similar to the version that did the rounds in pre-expansion Hearthstone and I had a great deal of success with it. It established Paladin as my favourite class (I'm very close to gold with it, now).

So I reckon the meta is just more diverse, and is now different at lower levels than at legendary. And that's a good thing: more variety and more impetus to try out your own designs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd

More
31 May 2017 10:04 - 31 May 2017 10:04 #249284 by SebastianBludd
Replied by SebastianBludd on topic Hearthstone Players!

MattDP wrote: I also tend to run with top-tier netdecks where I can, but they don't seem anywhere near as reliable in lower ranks as they used to be. I tried the "control mage" that was allegedly top dog recently and just got crucified by faster decks in the rank ~15 meta. Couldn't get it to work at all.

Speaking of not being able to get a deck to work, I have been struggling like hell to have any sort of success with any of the midrange Hunter builds around Rank 15. I need to watch some Hunter streams (any recs?) and read some mulligan/matchup guides because I'm just flailing around out there.

So last night, after over an hour of gain-a-star, lose-a-star before a losing streak took me to 15/0, I switched to aggro token Druid. I only have one Living Mana, and I'm not running the Pirate package (not gonna craft Patches), but it still did incredibly well. I was on full tilt at this point so I just started trying to mulligan for Innervate and either Vicious Fledgling or Bittertide Hydra, and it worked. There's such a paucity of early removal in the game right now that an early uncontested Fledgling or Hydra can be immediately back-breaking.

Instead of the missing Pirates I'm running two Defenders of Argus that help with my tokens' survivability until I can drop Power of the Wild/Mark of the Lotus/Savage Roar, and I threw in a Wrath in one of the odd slots for draw and early game tempo. I ended up staying up way too late but I was on a hot streak and finally hit Rank 10 for the first time ever. It was nice to finally be able to beat up on some secret Mages, taunt Warriors and dragon Priests; and my favorite moment last night was bursting a Priest down from 21 health using three minions, 2x Savage Roar and Power of the Wild.
Last edit: 31 May 2017 10:04 by SebastianBludd.

More
31 May 2017 11:16 #249285 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Hearthstone Players!
Congrats! Fledgling is THE card in Arena right now. If it gets through even once or twice, it's often game over. Kripp did a video on it a while back. I had someone beat me up with one very shortly after Un'Goro's release and thought it would turn into a thing, but there seemed to be so much targeted removal that it never got anywhere.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd

More
31 May 2017 11:40 #249286 by SebastianBludd
Replied by SebastianBludd on topic Hearthstone Players!
I saw that Kripp video and thought, "Oh, so it's an 'Arena' card," so I wasn't expecting much when I coined/Innervated it out early last night. Like I said, I was on tilt, I was at 15/0, it was late, so I figured the hell with it; let's go full aggro and maybe I can pick up a couple cheap wins before bed. If I got Windfury then Stealth it was often game over soon after. I had a Shaman concede because, even though I couldn't get Stealth, I kept putting a Divine Shield on it. And other times they'd use premium removal on it (I'll let my 3/3 for 3 soak a fireball every time) and have nothing to deal with the Hydra or my army of dudes.

There is also almost no downside to an early Hydra since your opponent is unlikely to have enough dudes to ping it/you to death on Turn 2/3, but Volcano is certainly something to look out for. I would also advise Warlock mains who are depressed about the sorry state of their favorite class to make do with token Druid until the next expansion.

I also had a satisfying, non Fledgling-related victory over a silence Priest last night. I had five, Argus-buffed little guys on the board (Fire Fly, etc.) and he Faceless Shamblered his 1/12 Cleric. Unfortunately for him I'd drawn most of my buffing spells, so on the next few turns I proceeded to chop through two 1/12 Shamblers and was in the process of whacking my way through his Sunfury-taunted, 1/24 Cleric when he conceded.

More
02 Jun 2017 11:55 #249349 by jeb
Nice! I like Fledgling, but it's very fragile, so I don't run it in my Beast deck. I usually have better stuff to do with 3 mana. I don't mind when it pops out of Jeweled Macaw, but I wouldn't want to count on it. Trying out the new deck copying powers...

### Beasts
# Class: Hunter
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Mammoth
#
# 2x (1) Alleycat
# 1x (1) Hungry Crab
# 2x (1) Jeweled Macaw
# 1x (2) Crackling Razormaw
# 2x (2) Kindly Grandmother
# 2x (2) Scavenging Hyena
# 2x (3) Animal Companion
# 2x (3) Deadly Shot
# 2x (3) Eaglehorn Bow
# 1x (3) Ironbeak Owl
# 2x (3) Kill Command
# 1x (3) Rat Pack
# 2x (3) Unleash the Hounds
# 2x (4) Houndmaster
# 2x (5) Nesting Roc
# 2x (5) Tundra Rhino
# 2x (6) Savannah Highmane
#
AAECAR8EogK7A+y7Ao7DAg2oArUDuwXrB8UI2wntCYEK/gy5tALquwLZwgKJwwIA
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

More
05 Jun 2017 16:12 - 05 Jun 2017 16:17 #249455 by MacDirk Diggler
[/ol]Related topic. Disguised Toast made legend with free to play hunter this month. Meaning he started an account, probably dusted everything that wasn't hunter cards along the way. Until he had this deck which he rode to legend. 1240 dust.
disguisedtoast.com/decklists/2678-legend-f2p-hunter

There is a button on those now you push and it auto copies the decklist
Last edit: 05 Jun 2017 16:17 by MacDirk Diggler.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower, Brewmiester

More
05 Jun 2017 23:33 - 06 Jun 2017 05:28 #249470 by Brewmiester
Replied by Brewmiester on topic Hearthstone Players!
Thanks Diggler! I'm sure DT is a better player than I but so far the deck seems to be working pretty well. Lost to a quest rogue but other than that all wins baby!

And another loss to a jade druid that mannaed out a deathwing on turn 8 but still climbing.
Last edit: 06 Jun 2017 05:28 by Brewmiester.

More
08 Jun 2017 18:19 #249637 by jeb
I went from 20 to 15.2 with no losses with this Deathrattle Reno Hunter in Wild:

AAEBAR8ejQH7AbUDhwTtBoAH2QfFCO0JuQ36DYEOxw/bD5AQ1BHDFuCsAritAs6uArGvAtuvArm0AoW4Auy7Aum9AqvCAonDAo3DAt7EAgAA

www.hearthpwn.com/decks/847779-dr-hunter-phd

Some my decision-making is dictated by the collection--I only have 1 Feign Death, so things like that make a Reno design more attractive, and then once you decide on that course, you want some stall like Mistress of Mixtures over Zombie Chow and Freezing Trap over, say, Snipe.

Feign Death is some good with those Eggs. Opponents tend to ignore them, and I can sneak down a buff from Dire Wolf Alpha or Glaivezooka, but for the most part, they are there to help me recover from mass removal. I did Arcane Shot my own Nerubian Egg and I have Quickshotted my Dinosaur Egg to get board presence when none seemed forthcoming.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd, Brewmiester, Mantidman

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.280 seconds